Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A few questions on Mechanics...

Started by JRC, November 03, 2010, 03:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRC

Hi all!

My first post here on the Conclave, new to the board and =][= too. I've created a few characters (will post them on here for your perusal if anyone's interested) but have a few questions that need answering;

Risky Actions; I've read, re-read and read again but I still don't understand this aspect of the action; "...if the player rolls more 1's than 6's..."

???

...When rolling for what? To hit? Damage? Location? I understand the consequences of failure and the mechanism that causes it, but would anyone be kind enough to give an example of a roll that causes a critical failure?

Also I would appreciate some advice on a few variant weapons I have created; would it be best to create another topic though?

Thanks for any and all help,

-Jay

[Edited for resolved issue, thanks]

viper_eX

Welcome to the Conclave!
Now, that's done, the dice you are looking at are the action-rolls
++FLESH IS WEAK++

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: JRC on November 03, 2010, 03:24:46 PM...When rolling for what?
Action dice. Just the D6s you roll when working out how many successful actions you get in a turn.

If more of these read 1 than 6, any risky actions will "fail" (as set out in their rules). Bear in mind though, it only counts if you actually get to the risky action - if you've not rolled enough actions to get that far, it hasn't had the chance to go wrong.

QuoteGrenades; Blast? Area? How does one differentiate the two?
Read the blast weapons section again.

Simple version: Area is the radius of the attack in "yards". Blast is how many hits it does to anyone within this area (reduced by one for each yard from the centre of the explosion).

QuoteAlso I would appreciate some advice on a few variant weapons I have created; would it be best to create another topic though?
Doesn't really matter. Might as well post them here - it'll get read anyway.

Quote from: viper_eX on November 03, 2010, 03:53:59 PMWelcome to the Conclave!
While the Big Yellow welcome is traditional, it's also traditional to answer people's questions...
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

WELCOME TO THE CONCLAVE!

Rolling for the actions - that is, to see how many of your actions you get to use. A Speed 5 (or whatever amount, down to Speed 1, for reasons explained in the next sentence) character does not always get all their actions. You roll 5 D6, 4 or more you get your action, 3 or less you don't, with a minimum of 1 action. It is possible for your Inquisitor to intend to run across the road, firing on the move, and disappear into an alleyway on the other side, but only get 3 actions, and so be out in the road when the slower Servitor with a heavy stubber gets his chance to fire...

You could post a new topic, if you want, but here should be fine. For general rules for weapons variants, there are the We Need Guns rules and the Custom Close Combat Weapons rules, both at least in part by Charax, and out there on the net somewhere (are either of them on the Skoll Archive? Should they be?)
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

viper_eX

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on November 03, 2010, 03:55:01 PM

While the Big Yellow welcome is traditional, it's also traditional to answer people's questions...

Well, I know, just had to recall how those rolls were called in english  ;D
++FLESH IS WEAK++

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on November 03, 2010, 03:58:24 PM(Are either of them on the Skoll Archive? Should they be?)
Neither is in the Archive. As for whether they should be, I don't know - tell me.

But the CCWs can be found here: http://www.freewebs.com/closecombatweapons/index.htm
I don't know about the "We need Guns" rules. I'm not even sure I've read them myself.

But on that note, I might as well plug my own "Revised Armoury", which has lots of alternative rules for ranged weapons.

GW's =I= articles

JRC

Awesome, thanks for the Welcome guys!

And of course, the clarification on the rules!

I have written up a few characters and some flavour weapons;

------------------------------

Compact Bolt Pistol;

The Compact Bolt Pistol is a rarely commissioned for of bolt weapon utilising a shortened barrel, 8 round magazine and a sophisticated recoil dampener in a lightened and redesigned frame. The simple snag free sights are optimized for close-range first-shot accuracy but coupled with the short barrel results in reduced effective range.

Invariably mastercrafted they are used to deadly effect as a personal defence weapon.

Due to the customised nature of the weapon only one reload is allowed, after which magazines must be reloaded by hand. They are not interchangable with other bolter magazines, only bolts.

Bolt Weapon
Type: Pistol
Range: A
Mode: Single/Semi(2)
Acc: +5
Dam: 2D10+4
Shots: 8
Rld: 2
Wt: 20

(Exotic)

I've created a Traitor Techpriest (Everlace) who has an insane Cultist follower named Loghain. He has a flamer he shouldn't normally be entitled to, so I gave it some extra flavour. Here's the bio on the back of Loghain's reference sheet;

Loghain's planet, Trident I, is a far-flung and lawless hive world notable for a large cache of Archeotech being uncovered in M.36; quite mad, Loghain began worshipping a shrine of warp-tainted Pre-Heresy tech. A local band of loyalists attempted to lynch Loghain and he killed them to a man. The Traitor Techpriest Everlace witnessed the battle and was so impressed by Loghain's devotion to the divinity of the machine, he began bending him to his will. Loghain views Everlace as nothing less than an avatar of the Machine God and worships him thusly, referring to him as "Machinelord Everlace".

Loghain has in his possession an ancient, lovingly maintained and rather unreliable flamer he calls "Faithful". Everlace approves greatly, and has promised Loghain bionic enhancements for his devoted service; Loghain and Faithful are eager to serve

Faithful's usage is a risky action, resolved as follows;

1-2 AAAAARGH!! Faithful does indeed fire, using the entire canister (counts as one hit) and causing an extra D6 of damage at +5 range, but deals the same amount of damage to Loghain's head, arm or chest! (D3 roll)

3-4 What The!? Faithful fires, but vents the entire canister of fuel to only provide one shot! She also overheats and must be dropped

5-6 OUCH! Faithful gets damned hot, hissing dangerously and Loghain must pass a Nerve test or wait until his next turn to fire her, unwilling to risk the shot

One of my characters is a gunslinger of pretty average talents who somehow has come through some insane combat almost through his own force of will.

"Steady" is infact a Wyrd with the Psychic Ward power and I envisioned him using the power thusly;

Ward Wyrd
On Steady's turn he may choose to spend an action to create a Psychic Ward as per the Wyrd ability, rolling a D6 to determine the strength of the field. On Steady's next, and subsequent turns he may elect to attempt to improve the strength of the field by rolling another D6, but the new result must be used even if worse!

Any and all comments and suggestions welcome!

Thanks guys!

-Jay

[Edit -- Faithful also weighs 50, 10 more than a normal flamer!]

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: JRC on November 03, 2010, 04:36:02 PMCompact Bolt Pistol
My recommendation for this... well, read the "Revised Armoury" I linked in my last post, and look at the "Light Bolt Pistol" in the bolt weapons section.
Modify them with a slight Acc bonus if it's supposed to be a particularly well crafted weapon.

QuoteFaithful
Seems to work to me.

Quote"Steady" is infact a Wyrd with the Psychic Ward power and I envisioned him using the power thusly;
What's wrong with just using Wyrd:Psychic Ward?
As it is, your rules would give him basically a fixed shield value (and if it comes up bad, re-roll next turn until it's good enough, then leave it) - negating one of the (deliberate) disadvantages of forcefields.

GW's =I= articles

JRC

The Revised Weapons file is a very good read, Kudos!

The bolt pistol in question was a one-off for the Inquisitor, so I doubt I'll see many in my games.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on November 03, 2010, 05:19:11 PM
What's wrong with just using Wyrd:Psychic Ward?
As it is, your rules would give him basically a fixed shield value (and if it comes up bad, re-roll next turn until it's good enough, then leave it) - negating one of the (deliberate) disadvantages of forcefields.

I quite agree, it seems more workable as a standard forcefield.

Thanks,

-Jay