Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Grand Tournament 2011 - March 26th

Started by Kaled, November 24, 2010, 05:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

I think the system has to give everyone the same chance of playing everyone else to keep it fair. Playing against someone you play regularly is not ideal from a 'meeting new people' point of view, but from a tournament point of view I see no reason to give players any choice about who they do or do not play.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Well, as you said, people are being asked to pay to take part, so it seems a shame not to make the efforts to make everyone's games the best they can be. Trying to get GMs their preferred tables, not having lots of newbies at the same table and allowing people to play with people other than they normally do.

Like I said, I don't see it as a competition. But, as you're the event organiser, if you want strict "tournament" fairness, then I guess we do just that and shuffle players onto tables with indistinction.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

My feeling is that as it's billed as a tournament, then it should be played as one. WHW plan to start charging people to hire tables for these sort of events from sometime next year (we narrowly avoided having to pay for the IGT), so players are likely to be asked to pay at all future Conclave events and those less competitive campaign days are, I believe, the place to take such things as you mentioned into account.

I was going to stick with the usual formula for the IGT but if more people want to do differently then say so.  I'm happy to change things and go with the majority opinion...

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on December 26, 2010, 03:12:03 PMMy feeling is that as it's billed as a tournament, then it should be played as one.
Fair enough. I guess we do the best we can to get everybody meeting once, what we can to stop them meeting three times, get them GMing one of their double (or triple) meetings, try to avoid any group of three meeting twice and try to keep people from playing the same table twice.

... then just hope that people don't end up playing their regular lot.

QuoteI was going to stick with the usual formula for the IGT.
On that note, did we reach a conclusion about the Inquisition and whether it would be reduced to a tiebreaker?
My vote would be that if it's left as an actual point scoring category, I would have it as some kind of puzzle, not a knowledge quiz.

A puzzle/mystery where the player has actually had to work over clues and think it through is worth points.
A knowledge quiz where the player just had to bring a laptop and search Lexicanum is less so.

GW's =I= articles

Adlan

I would definitely be against a puzzle being a point scoring category. I don't think it's a good test of an inquisitor player/GM. I'd rather have a knowledge test or puzzle as a tie breaker.

Kaled

I think it's going to be a puzzle/quiz on the 40k background with particular reference to fluff about the Inquisition, and will probably only be used as a tie breaker.

Or not, if I change my mind and manage to come up with something better...

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Adlan on December 27, 2010, 02:29:30 PM
I would definitely be against a puzzle being a point scoring category. I don't think it's a good test of an inquisitor player/GM. I'd rather have a knowledge test or puzzle as a tie breaker.

especially for those of us who bump up our SG to compensate for RL knowledge / attention span :D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

JoelMcKickass

I should be able to attend, but i'm not sure just yet, my 21st birthday is on the 29th of March, and we're just sorting out whether the do is on the 26th, or in April.

Personally i'd be quite pleased to go to this one week, then get destroyed the week after.

Kaled

Afternoon all,

The 2011 Inquisitor Grand Tournament will take place at Warhammer World on Saturday, 26th March 2011.

The briefing pack is now available from the Dark Magenta website;
http://www.darkmagenta.co.uk/IGT11_briefing_pack.pdf

Tickets are £10 in advance until 14th March, or £12 on the door.

As in the past, I hope to arrange pizzas for lunch - details to follow as soon as I get a menu from WHW.

- Dave

P.S. I'll post this on a few forums in the near future, but feel free to distribute the details - copies of the poster can be found here and here.  

MarcoSkoll

Have I ever mentioned that I hate train networks? Looking at my options, I either have to spend hours, or risk missing tight changeovers of only 5 or 6 minutes.
Fortunately, it seems there is an option where if I miss a connection, there's another train about half an hour after, so I wouldn't be too late.

So, now I need to find where I have I left my cheque book. I don't think I've used it in years.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

If anyone spots and issues with the player pack, let me know so I can get it fixed asap. Also, I've put together the Inquisition, which will be used as a tie-breaker as the answers can be found on the internet if you know where to look (although I did find a few typos on Lexicanum, so don't rely on it!).

Easy E

Khaled, what forums are you posting on all ready.  I don't want to miss that it is all ready posted, and then recycle posts.   I will be able to help spread the good word.

Also, I got a lot of traffic by contacting the Mods at Warseer and having them put a blurb up on their homepage.   
^Cheapskate^

Kaled

I've only posted it on Warseer so far, but everyone should feel free to post it anywhere that they feel if appropriate - if you do that, please post a link on here so I can keep an eye on any discussion and answer any questions.

That's a good idea about contacting the Warseer mods - I'll drop them a line (do you happen to know who's the person to contact?).

MarcoSkoll

It's disappointing to remember that the 2008 IGT was promoted amongst WD's events page - seems hopelessly unlikely these days. (We'd need to be GCN registered, wouldn't we?)
I always regretted not be able to make the 2008 IGT - it'd've been nice to have met the members of the Dev team, and it's probably not going to happen again.

GW's =I= articles

precinctomega

Wintermute is the one to contact at Warseer, Dave.

R.