Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Grand Tournament 2011 - March 26th

Started by Kaled, November 24, 2010, 05:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAZKUL

I don't suppose there'll be anything north of the border?
"You do not need to prove that you exist because soon you won't"

Kaled

Well, if you organise it, you get to choose the venue!

Given the price list for booking events future at WHW I think we'll be priced out of there so will be looking for a new venue.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Kaled

Double post alert!

Wintermute has agreed to post a news item about the IGT on the front page of Warseer - if you're a member of that forum, and plan on coming to the event (or just want to discuss it) please post in the thread here.  Hopefully a bit of discussion might tempt a few more people to join us...

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on January 11, 2011, 08:21:46 PMGiven the price list for booking events future at WHW I think we'll be priced out of there so will be looking for a new venue.
Yeah, I was discussing that on Warseer. I get the idea that it might only be directed at people who are looking for exclusive use of large parts of the hall, but if it's not, it puts such a premium per head on smaller events as to make them nearly impossible.

Next one at Maelstrom's gaming centre in Mansfield then?

Also, I've headed over to go and post some tripe in the IGT's thread on Warseer, see if we can get that discussion going.
I've also put an advertimundament in my Warseer signature, so that might help spread the word while I'm arguing in the 40k General/Background sections.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 12, 2011, 07:02:58 AM
Yeah, I was discussing that on Warseer. I get the idea that it might only be directed at people who are looking for exclusive use of large parts of the hall, but if it's not, it puts such a premium per head on smaller events as to make them nearly impossible.
I have sent a few questions to the folks at WHW to ask about the impact this will have on small events such as ours, but the impression I got is that if you want to go through the events team (which means you can book a long way in advance), then you really need to book a load of tables.

Mansfield is a possibility for the future I guess, or I heard there's a gaming centre in the north west, and I'm sure there are other options true.  In fact, if anyone knows of any other options post them on here - we probably ought to evaluate all alternatives before deciding.

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 12, 2011, 07:02:58 AM
Next one at Maelstrom's gaming centre in Mansfield then?

i can get us the Gaming Centre at Triple Helix pretty easily if people want to venture south  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on January 12, 2011, 07:30:58 AMif you want to go through the events team (which means you can book a long way in advance)
Just how far away can you normally book? The GW website says 12 weeks, but I recall other people saying that it was only two months.

That might be long enough in advance enough to organise smaller events (so WHW might not be completely out as a venue for those), but it's clearly not long enough to manage something big like the IGT when we're trying to mobilise everybody at once.

Of course, we can always live in hope that we build up a community big enough to make a £200 fee trivial, but I really should quit my obscura habit.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

biggreengribbly

Odd, coulda sworn I had an account signed up for these boards... must have been one of the previous incarnations. Oh well.  LURKER DECLOAK!

On the bright side of the potential loss of WHW as a venue, I guess at an independant venue, a lot more of the lovely characters based on conversion of non-GW figures would be allowed to come out and play  ;D

Kaled

True, because of course we would never use non-GW models at WHW - that would be bad. ;)

Bear in mind that the rules for the IGT state models should be predominantly GW - not that I care, and in the past WHW staff haven't cared either, but GW staff will be invited to judge the P&M round and their decision is final if they do decide to not allow non-GW models on their tables.

precinctomega

There's also the North West Gaming Centre at Marauder Games in Stockport.

I'd add though that there was a booking fee system in place the last time we had a GT and we didn't have to pay.

R.

biggreengribbly

Quote from: Kaled on January 12, 2011, 05:43:56 PM
True, because of course we would never use non-GW models at WHW - that would be bad. ;)

Bear in mind that the rules for the IGT state models should be predominantly GW - not that I care, and in the past WHW staff haven't cared either, but GW staff will be invited to judge the P&M round and their decision is final if they do decide to not allow non-GW models on their tables.

I was under the impression the stipulation in the IGT rules pack was in light of the fact it was being held in WHW. I'd have thought on their 'home turf' they'd have been strictest of all about such things. Granted, the scale of the place makes it easier to sneak things under their nose, 54mm suppliers tend to be rather low-radar anyway. Unless you're an Inquisitor player yourself, you'd hardly know a scratch-sculpt from a figure from another companies line anyway. It's not like you guys are proxying Warjacks for Dreadnoughts or anything...

In a bitter twist of irony, after two years of Not going to IGTs and Conclaves and whatnot due to only having character ideas that have over-elaborate conversion requirements (also being broke) what could be the last year at WHW (and thus in theory the 'GW only' rule) the only character I have a solid idea for is a relatively straightfoward conversion of one of the devout twins  >:(

Still likely to be too broke to go this year however.

Also too terrified of having to GM, never having even played the game before. >_>

Kaled

Quote from: biggreengribbly on January 12, 2011, 06:19:00 PM
I'd have thought on their 'home turf' they'd have been strictest of all about such things.
You might have thought that - but they haven't been too bothered in the past.  Generally, we don't tell them that models aren't GW and, as you say, they're confronted with so many intricate conversions and scratch sculpts that they're not likely to know which is which anyway.  However the rule at WHW is that models must be predominantly GW, so that's what the IGT rules say - I won't be enforcing that rule (on the grounds that I may well not know whether a model is sculpted from scratch or non-GW), but if GW want to enforce it then that's their prerogative.

QuoteAlso too terrified of having to GM, never having even played the game before. >_>
Well, having played before is not a prerequisite to enter, as long as you are familiar with the rules.  As for never having GM'd, that's the situation I was in the first year I entered and I did okay...

Alta

Quote from: Kaled on January 12, 2011, 05:43:56 PM

Do you think they would allow self-sculpted models?
...Few things in life make sense and unfortunately for you I am not one of them...

Kaled

Quote from: Alta on January 12, 2011, 06:57:22 PM
Do you think they would allow self-sculpted models?
Yes - sorry I should have made that clearer, models 'must' be GW or sculpted.

Kaled

The news article is now up on the Warseer homepage - just hope it does the job and attracts a few new players.

http://www.warseer.com/event_news/inquisitor_grand_tournament_2011