Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Magos Esus Io Pan and followers

Started by BeardMonk, August 18, 2009, 10:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardMonk

Morning all.

Here's my first fully completed band for =][=.  An Ad Mech explorer band hunting for the mechanical construct know as the "Hall Of Words".

And yes, I do read a lot of Raymond E. Feist!

Sorry its a bit long.  C&C please.  I have a feeling I may have "overdone" some of the equipment.

Cheers

------------------------

Magos Esus Io Pan - Magos Esus Io Pan is an aging reclusive Magos who dedicated his life to resurrecting and repairing some of the imperiums most treasured, valuable and long lost machines.  A total devotee of the Machine God, he views the Emperor of Terra with some contempt, seeing the Golden Throne as only as another of the Machine Gods creations.  

The path of Magos Esus Io Pan changed with the interrogation of wreak of the Martial Nox.  The devastated spirit of this Warhound Titan spoke of the "Hall Of Words", a virtual construct where "all knowledge could be found, including that which will bring forth the Machine God".  The though of this wonderous construct falling into the hands of a less devoted individual, Magos Esus Io Pan consulted the archives for years, piecing together clues as to the location of the Hall.  Armed with all the information he could find, the Magos gathered a few loyal followers and headed out into the worlds on his quest for the Hall.

Magos Esus Io Pan

WS 70 | BS 70 | S 80 | T 75 |I 75 | WP 80 | Sg 90 | Nv 85 | Ld 85| Sp 5

Equipment: Shoulder Mounted MIU Bolt Pistol, shot selector - 5 Krakken rounds | Bionics - Av L&R Leg.  Av L Arm Implant Drill (Breacher)  Right Arm Implant Chainsword.  Adv Lungs. Adv Head.  Eye with Rangefinder | Flak on all locations but head | Electoos | Binary Cortex | Rite Of Pure Thought.  

Special: Machine Empathy | Ambidextrous | Old machine (-1 yard movement, cannot sprint)

Electro Priest Govannon - Electro Priest Govannon is Magos Esus Io Pan most loyal servant.  He was present during the interrogation with the wreck of the Martial Nox and is party to most (but not all) of the information his Magos has collected.  Govannon is skilled in resurrecting and interacting with machines of all kinds.  He is also responsible for the troop of heavily augmented Skilltari who serve the Magos.  

Electro Priest Govannon

WS 60 | BS 50 | S 70 | T 60 |I 70 | WP 70 | Sg 75 | Nv 70 | Ld 70| Sp 5

Equipment: Stubber - Shot Selector, 5 x Flechette, 1 reload | Chain Halberd | Bionics - Av R Leg & Arm,  Adv Eye w Laser Sight, Av Head w Inbuilt Gas Mask | Padded robes on all locations | Rite Of Pure Thought | Electoos.

Special - Left Handed | Furious Assault

Enginseer Ogma - Enginseer Ogma is one of Magos Esus Io Pan servants, conducting menial mechanical tasks, such as preparing rites, fixing basic machines as befits his rank.  Ogma is not party to much information about the "Hall Of Words".  His job is to follow, learn and serve his Magos.  Ogma however shows promise and is honoured to maintain many of the Plasma weapons and generators that fall under his masters care.

Enginseer Ogma

WS 40 | BS 50 | S 45 | T 50 |I 50 | WP 65 | Sg 60 | Nv 55 | Ld 55 | Sp 4

Equipment - Plasma Gun | Shock Maul | Bionics - Adv eye with Digi-Laspistol & Bioscanner | Medipack | Flak on Chest, Abdomen, Groin and L+R Leg

Special - Right Handed | Medic

Forge Guard Nemain XXI - Nemain XXI is one of Electro Priest Govannon creations.  A heavily augmented Skilltari who guards and protect the Magos and his works.  Nemain XXI is not very intelligent, but can lay down a storm of fire should the need arise.  He is a blunt hammer.

Forge Guard Nemain XXI

WS 50 | BS 50 | S 120 | T 65 |I 40 | WP 65 | Sg 58 | Nv 78 | Ld 64 | Sp 3

Equipment - Implant Heavy Stubber - 1 reload (Hopper) | Implant Power Claw - Exterminator | Bionics - Av L&R Arm, Av R Leg, Av Head | Reflective Armour on L&R Arms |Autosanguination

Special - Nerves of Steel | Force of Will | Quickload (due to hoppers) | Ambidextrous | Cannot sprint
Life is short, but the doom is long

TheNephew

I like the mini-fluff you have steering the band, it makes a good MacGuffin for the Magos to chase, and is a very believable goal.
I'd be a little concerned that the two first characters are absolute powerhouses compared to the latter two, stats-wise, and that the bucket-loads of Kraken rounds would make short work of most that they come across.
The firepower across the band is also quite hefty, though entirely in keeping with a Magos arming himself for an extended expedition.
The split of stats makes it look like the subordinates half of the band will be flattened while the other holds it's own, or that the Magos and Electro priest will wipe everything else off the board. It seems like half of them will be either well above or well below the power level.

And finally - consider taking 5 off every single characteristic and add d10 back - just so you aren't statted for a d20 system...
Though that's as much a cosmetic alteration for your sheet than it is a serious consideration.

BeardMonk

Quote from: TheNephew on August 18, 2009, 01:20:00 PM
and that the bucket-loads of Kraken rounds would make short work of most that they come across.
The firepower across the band is also quite hefty, though entirely in keeping with a Magos arming himself for an extended expedition.

Thats a miss type on my part which i shall now edit, should have read "5 kraken rounds"

The split of stats makes it look like the subordinates half of the band will be flattened while the other holds it's own, or that the Magos and Electro priest will wipe everything else off the board. It seems like half of them will be either well above or well below the power level.

My aim was to have a very old magos who overcame his ageing body with bionics.  The electropriest would do most of his legwork.  The Forge Guard's job is to shoot and be shot at.  And the enginseer job is to help out and possibly die.  He is a menial servant anyway......  

Looking back, iv lifted the stats pretty much from the Ad Mech stats/rules with some minor tweeks to suit the characters.

Is it a case of too much equipment, too higher stats, or both?  I think on reflection I should drop the Electoos from the magos at least...

QuoteAnd finally - consider taking 5 off every single characteristic and add d10 back - just so you aren't statted for a d20 system...
Though that's as much a cosmetic alteration for your sheet than it is a serious consideration.

Will look at that.  Thanks.  Maybe doing that will address the issue above?

TheNephew

For an aging man, he's very tough, fast and strong, though that last point would probably be due to extensively bionic arms.
In particular it's odd that he's tougher than his Forge Guard, a combat-only employee/construct.
I do, however, like that he is quite high Speed but low Movement - he's just as quick thinking as ever, but his increasingly mechanised body isn't quite keeping pace.

Most of the equipment is fine - the electoos links the Magos and Electropriest nicely, and fits with his interest in resurrecting old machinery. I'd keep them.
As I said, the firepower fits well with the theme, so it's not a problem.

The stat issue is one that you would need to resolve with your group - most of the Conclave characters have stats that average 10-20 points below the rulebook archetypes, just so the characters are not too good at what they do. If your stats are similar to the warbands you play against, then they're fine.
What I meant by take off 5 and add d10 was that it will make your stats look more random - blocks of 5s and 0s look boring on the sheet, and if you're using multiples of five you might as well us d20 instead of d100 dice. There's no serious issue there.

BeardMonk

QuoteIn particular it's odd that he's tougher than his Forge Guard, a combat-only employee/construct.

That is a valid point and one that I hadn't noticed myself.  Oddly.  Perhaps I will switch the two stats making the Forge Guard T75 and the Magos T65/T60?  Something for me to go away and think about.

Thanks for the feedback.  Any more id greatly appreciate it.  Now I just have to finish painting them up so I can attend the Oct/Nov meet!!! (hopefully)

Inquisitor Cade

Hi.

It's always interesting to see a non-Inquisitor warband, and the on going motivation of the hall of words is a nice touch.

I hear your concern that you have over stated or over equipped the warband. If you ask me, a techpreist explorator warband would be very well equipped, and contain some very skilled individuals, however, tech adepts aren't skilled fighters as a rule. I don't agree that Pan should be an expert swordsman or an expert shot. Ws and Bs in the 50's would be more appropriate. His T is very very high for an old guy, I'd be looking closer to 40, but maybe with 3 extra points of armour to a load of places because of bionics. He has very high mental stats across the board, I'd make him especially quick witted, exceptionally strong will, exceptionally brave or an exceptional leader but not all of them, especially as none of them are the primary traits of an admech character. With the binary cortex he should have an Sg in the 130 - 140 range, though I'm not sure that two brains would sum their intelligence, so maybe around 90 is right.

He has lots of kit, and so he should. I'd question weather it was practical for him to have both his hands replaced, particularly as he lacks mechendrites to manipulate things. I'd say the chainsword wasn't an implant, so he has a bionic arm that can draw the sword or do other things. How does the rite of pure thought and the binary cortex work together? I'd maybe stick with one of them and drop the rite, as the electro priest has it too. I'd give him a few more types of ammo for the bolt pistol, have you seen what bolt ammo there is in the revised Inquisitor armoury.
I don't think psykers go into the admech. I've never heard of an openly psychic tech priest, other than Litchenstein's one, and even he only developed it during a campaign when he met a daemon. So I'd drop machine empathy.

The Electro priest has appropriate physical stats, but his I, Wp, Nv and Ld are remarkably high.

Again I'd diversify in special ammo, and choose a more specific type of stubber (again see revised Inquisitor armoury).

Both your other characters have pretty appropriate stats, except that of all the characters I'd expect the skitarii to be the most capable fighter with a Ws or Bs in the  high 60's or both in the low 60's. Also, he is smarter than the average citizen, I'd down his Sg to 35ish. As he lacks hands to reload I'd suggest than instead of having a hopper as a reload you just let it mean that the heavy stubber has more shots. There are two varieties of heavy stubber in the revised armoury. I really would have a look at it. I'd also pick up some magnetic shielding (under the plasma weapons) for the eniseer.

*Insert token witticism*

BeardMonk

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 19, 2009, 05:21:07 PM
however, tech adepts aren't skilled fighters as a rule. I don't agree that Pan should be an expert swordsman or an expert shot. Ws and Bs in the 50's would be more appropriate. His T is very very high for an old guy, I'd be looking closer to 40, but maybe with 3 extra points of armour to a load of places because of bionics.

Iv based Pans stats on the standard Magos stats in the =][= book:

WS 70 | BS 55 | S 55 | T 65 | I 75 | Wp 80 | Sg 90| Nv 85 | Ld 85

Looking at that, yes your right that his BS may be too high (esp seeing his got a bolt pistol).  However the rest of his stats are pretty much directly from the book ( his S include the bionics)

I'm inclined to keep both arms as implants esp as Pans background is in recovering/going into wrecked machines to recover the machine spirits etc, the drill and chaincutter/sword would be used to go through plating and bulkheads.  His model has mechadrite/manipulators coming out his back, I just haven't listed them as a "weapons". 

However I hear what your saying about the rite of pure thought and the binary cortex.   

QuoteThe Electro priest has appropriate physical stats, but his I, Wp, Nv and Ld are remarkably high.

Again, apart from his Ld, the stats are pretty much lifted straight from the Exporator Warband.  On reflection your prob right that the Ld is too high, i'll drop it a bit.  But the Electropriest is a highly skilled post so it stands to reason that his mental skills would be quite high....

This is all good stuff guys, appreciate you input.

Inquisitor Cade

Hmm, I see you are right about the rulebook stat line, however I'd like to argue that it is inappropriate.

While experiance would mean that an older Admech character might be a bit better at fighting, it seems absurd that a high ranking tech priest should suddenly become an expert swordsman, increadably brave etc. etc. I'd propose that the tech priest stat line is roughly right for most admech characters, mogos's maybe having stats at the top end of the random profile, and a bit more to Ld on top.

If it helps put that suggestion in context I think that the given Acolyte stats are about right for a powerful Inquisitor.

I don't think I'll be alone in critisizeing the rulebook stats. See what other people think.
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

Quote from: BeardMonk on August 20, 2009, 12:04:52 PM
Iv based Pans stats on the standard Magos stats in the =][= book:

WS 70 | BS 55 | S 55 | T 65 | I 75 | Wp 80 | Sg 90| Nv 85 | Ld 85
I'd agree with Cade in saying that the rulebook stats are often going to be inappropriate for a Magos.  You don't reach the rank of Magos by being stronger, tougher or better at fighting than other people, so it doesn't make sense for them to have higher stats in those areas.  Of course, that's not to say you shouldn't have a Magos who is a powerful combatant - but just because you've worked from the rulebook statline doesn't mean your stats are 'right', and often it would make perfect sense to have a Magos with stats very different to those in the rulebook.

As an example, my Explorator-Magos, Vaal Kryzak, is physically unexceptional (his bionics are not optimised for combat and mainly don't provide any in-game bonuses) and isn't great at either close-combat or shooting - his strength is his Sg.  His two main subordianates, Tech-Priestess Orla Riall and Centurion Saphentis, are both stronger, faster and much deadlier when it comes to combat, and in some areas their mental stats are higher too (particularly Nv).
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Tullio

One question I do have, and I hate to ask it - how does Magos Pan perform his researches without any usuable hands? Does your model have any mechadendrites that could explain this away?

Tullio

BeardMonk

QuoteOne question I do have, and I hate to ask it - how does Magos Pan perform his researches without any usuable hands? Does your model have any mechadendrites that could explain this away?[\quote]

Hi Tullio, we covered this on off here:

Quote........Pan's background is in recovering/going into wrecked machines to recover the machine spirits etc, the drill and chaincutter/sword would be used to go through plating and bulkheads.  His model has mechadrite/manipulators coming out his back, I just haven't listed them as a "weapons". 
[\quote]

Inquisitor Cade, Kaled + others

I see where you coming from with the stats.  I wasn't aware that most people though many of the profiles "in the book" were overcooked.

I think the general POV is that a Magos would be well equiped, inteligent smart and, (due to bionic augmentation), possibly tough.  But NOT a weapons or CC expert.  I'll have a juggle with the stats on this basis. 

I imagined Pan's mechanical body being quite tough.  Maybe the answer is addional armour on the bionic locations rather than beefing up his T.....

Iain

Tullio

Whoops. Time to wipe the yolk from my eyes, must have missed that

Tullio

BeardMonk

Quote from: Tullio on August 20, 2009, 02:27:56 PM
Whoops. Time to wipe the yolk from my eyes, must have missed that

Tullio

;)

Inquisitor Cade

I would list the mechendrites with his equipment, while we are on the subject. They are an important piece of gear for a character with no hands.
*Insert token witticism*

Kaled

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 20, 2009, 04:30:23 PM
I would list the mechendrites with his equipment, while we are on the subject. They are an important piece of gear for a character with no hands.
I would only list them if they have rules - i.e. add 20% to tests when interacting with machinery and give him a free improvised attack.  If they perform neither of those functions then I wouldn't list them, but I would expect the GM to allow your character to use them to manipulate things in place of his hands.  I only ever list things that have a definable in game effect, but if a situation comes up and something on the model but not listed as equipment looks useful then the GM should allow the player to use it.

Quote from: BeardMonk on August 20, 2009, 01:55:47 PM
I think the general POV is that a Magos would be well equiped, inteligent smart and, (due to bionic augmentation), possibly tough.  But NOT a weapons or CC expert.  I'll have a juggle with the stats on this basis.
That would be my thinking.  If you want your character to have more in the way of combat ability, why not give him an Electro-graft to increase his WS/BS or to give him a combat related skill?  It seems more likely a Magos would simply have the knowledge implanted rather than bothering to train.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat