Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Second Attempts.

Started by Darksinger, December 28, 2010, 01:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darksinger

Kaled- you make a good point about the psychic powers. I'll alter the background to change his age. Or maybe i'll re-write it so he was a sanctioned psyker of some merit. what do you think?

Five chaos space marine isn't that unreasonable- i've seen conscripts kill full squads of possesed and they only have lasguns.

also, his willpower isn't that low is it?I thought i'd made it the same or thereabouts. Will check that.

finally, Restin has no biological heir.

Adlan

What happens in a 40k game is not an accurate depiction of what is represented in the fluff, if it was, a space marine army would be 1 squad in 1000pts. If that.

GAZKUL

40k works on different levels to Inquisitor, a similar comparision to a concript taking 5 maines in inquisior would be a grechin taking out a baneblade using unly it's teeth while blindfolded and missing it's arms. ;D

"You do not need to prove that you exist because soon you won't"

Kaled

Quote from: Darksinger on December 30, 2010, 12:49:07 PM
Or maybe i'll re-write it so he was a sanctioned psyker of some merit. what do you think?
Is there any reason he couldn't be sanctioned?  Is it important that he's a rogue?

QuoteFive chaos space marine isn't that unreasonable- i've seen conscripts kill full squads of possesed and they only have lasguns.
Don't forget that the 40k is not an accurate representation of the fluff.  Just because something can happen in a game doesn't mean it's at all likely in fluff terms.  Astartes in Inquisitor are a much more accurate representation of their true prowess - in 40k they're toned down for reasons of game-balance.

Quotefinally, Restin has no biological heir.
He doesn't have one yet.  Why isn't he planning to have one?  40k medical science is very advanced - it would take some explaining to come up with a reason why he couldn't have one...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

JoelMcKickass

Radiation wiped out his junk-factory? Genetic defect, Molly caught him with that spear, proximity to the daemonsword of Kastin, family curse that is coming to fruition about any heir that Restin has?

He seems pretty perfect in most other ways, making it so he can't have an heir would be a decent background way of explaining WHY he tries to hard at everything he does. Saying it's because they got their original licence some millennia ago through the help of a Slaaneshi daemon who has let them know he's coming back to get paid through Restin's child, might give a guy enough drive to ensure that if the daemon makes good on his word (he's a daemon, he's a lying bastard), then Restin believes he can take him. The fact that his family got their power through Daemonic ways would mean they can't contact the Inquisition, because they'd be wiped out, and if only the family and those close to the family (Kastin) know, then Amitius would be able to stay too, as he simply didn't know. This could then explain the possessed sword Kastin uses, an heirloom from the old days with a long dormant daemon, which no one knew about, a gift from the original Slaaneshi daemon which holds a daemonic opponent of his.

Kaled

The daemonic curse on his family is a better explanation.  Radiation, genetic defect and castration seem too easy to fix given Imperial medical science - especially as his family are so rich.  The curse idea is a good one - it'd nicely offset the otherwise far too perfect background.  And it doesn't even have to be true - as long as his family believe it.  Some vague reference to the 'heir of the end times' or some such could have been interpreted as a reference to a child born at the end of the 41st millennium, so Restin dare not have a child.

Although he probably ought to formally adopt Molly if she is to legally inherit...

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on December 30, 2010, 12:24:57 PMA fifteen year old boy killing five Astartes seems unlikely - even using grenades, to actually kill a marine is difficult, they're rather resilient.
Again, agreed. In the fluff (and thus in Inquisitor), Space Marines really are superhumans with spares of just about every major organ, instantly clotting blood and wearing armour that is nearly invulnerable to most portable weapons and incorporates a life support system. Not to mention that they've often got hundreds of years of experience.

Any character in Inquisitor, even a Space Marine themselves, is unlikely to have a body count of more than a handful of Astartes, and it will have probably taken them many decades and a lot of luck to have achieved that. So a teenager who had killed just one Space Marine would be exceptional.
(Hell, a teenager who had fought with just one Space Marine and had lived would be exceptional.)

However, on a grenade related note, I would trim down that number of grenades. If you get through anywhere like 10 frag grenades in a single game, there probably won't be any more than small meaty chunks of your opponents left.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Darksinger

Marcoskoll- Ok, will change the kill count on those space marines.

He hasn't got much of a BS though. I will take out the krak grenades, but no frags. I will however, limit the NO. he will use in a battle.

On the note of Restins heir- He dosent have one. He has no wife, no secret heartache. If i really need a reason, i will write it in the background, but if it only needs to be that simple, i will leave it. I could make it that Restin wants an heir, but lacks the means, and he could adopt molly i suppose...

Kaled- No, he could be sanctioned if i wanted him to be.

Gazkull- Ever heard the story of Jiggy the grot? its actually fan-fiction, but its pretty good. explains how a grot could take tha baneblade out.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Darksinger on December 30, 2010, 08:44:55 PMHe hasn't got much of a BS though.
Yes, but even if you fail the hit roll, there's a good chance it won't scatter far (or at all, if you should get a hit on the scatter dice*) and will still inflict quite nasty damage.
*Although my house rule on this is that hits still scatter in the direction of the mini-arrow, by one yard for each 10% (or part) the hit roll was failed by. Basically, the same as on an arrow, just without the D10.

Most of the time, you can expect grenades to fail their hit roll - and given how much damage grenades do on a direct hit, that's kind of necessary.

QuoteI will take out the krak grenades, but no frags. I will however, limit the NO. he will use in a battle.
I'd say keep the krak grenades, but drop the number of frags.

A forced limit of "X grenades per battle" doesn't make sense - if you have grenades and you need to use them, you would use them regardless of how many you just did. I'd say just have him only carry 4 or 6 (or something), but he keeps a large crate of frags around on the ship or a bandolier of them amongst his luggage that he can replenish his "carry" supply from.

To use my namesake as an example, he'll usually only carry three spare magazines (so 48 shots total) for his pistol, but he'll keep many thousands of extra rounds in his personal armoury. He just doesn't think he needs to carry around a few hundred rounds - which is a lot of extra weight - when what he carries is usually more than enough.

QuoteOn the note of Restins heir- He dosent have one. He has no wife, no secret heartache. If i really need a reason...
Everything needs a reason. Yeah, that could be as simple as "He hasn't found a partner", but that itself needs more explanation - Rogue Traders meet many many people, and have the charm and charisma that one not being able to find a partner would be a rarity.

With Imperial medical science and its ability to vat grow individuals, single male parents wouldn't be impossible. Just find a second genetic donor (who doesn't even have to be female, even our medical science is nearly capable of creating male ova), then grow your son/daughter in a tube*.
*Actually, while the Dark Eldar fluff suggests this is common amongst the DE, I think it's probably not too uncommon amongst human females in power either. Why spend 9 months pregnant, with all the unpleasantness that comes with it, when you can do it an easier way?

If someone of important lineage (and just about any nobility in 40k believes their blood line is important) chooses not to carry it on, then there has to be a pretty good reason.
They will want to carry on their line (if not, explain why), they're unlikely to not be able to find a wife (and if they can't, explain why), and there's almost nothing that can render such characters unable to become a parent.

~~~~~

Actually, all of this talk about parents gives me an idea - thinking the mention of Rumplestiltskin in the other thread, I quite like the idea of a daemonic curse where the firstborn of any of a given line is forfeit in some way. Perhaps I'll write that.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: Darksinger on December 30, 2010, 08:44:55 PM
He hasn't got much of a BS though. I will take out the krak grenades, but no frags. I will however, limit the NO. he will use in a battle.
Why not just remove some of his frag grenades - it'd be the easiest way to limit how many he uses in each game.  Generally it's assumed a character will have sufficient resources to replenish his equipment between games (unless the campaign means he has no way, or no time, to resupply - in which case a few of your characters could do with more reloads).

Elva

Reloads are always nice. The only weapons that don't really need them are some energy weapons(most notably las varients).

On the subject of grenades, my current protagonist only carries two frag, and she was from an elite guard company(she also has a rather obsessive compulsive habit of hoarding las reloads), and in all fairness, in my experience two per scenario is plenty.

Okay, the relative availability of genetic replication is news to me. I was under the impression that it was hard to come by and that a clone or artificial offspring was worth more than power armour. Though I guess it depends on what is available to the parent both technological and resource wise.
"Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!!"

Darksinger

Re-supplyed my grenade count. Also re-wrote Restins to explain the lack of love intrests. will develop more as i write.

im having trouble re-writing the psyker. I'm not so experianced with non-eldritch psykers, so im confused what to do. any ideas?

Adlan

When it comes to grenades, three is enough usually, and 3 is about what will fit in your pockets. If you've got a model covered in grenades, I'd be more than happy to play wysiwyg, but being covered in pinapples clutters a model.

I rather like the familey curse idea, something for an inquisitor to investigate. And it doesn't matter if the curse is real, so long as he thinks it's real.

And we've already had mouse cells converted to eggs, and mouse eggs used to replace mouse sperm, creating mice with no father (or at least, a female one). Work is being done on turning sperm into eggs, and it's well within the relms of plausibility to use male sperm to create the DNA and insert it into an emptied egg.

You must be careful to avoid the heresy of cloning through. Genetic fiddling fine, AI, IVF and such like also. But clones have no souls.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Elva on December 30, 2010, 11:03:07 PMOkay, the relative availability of genetic replication is news to me.
Relative being... well, relative. It's the kind of thing wealthy nobles with good connections could get their hands on, but in no way commonplace. As a rough rule, it's probably similar to rejuvenat in availability (if not necessarily use).

After all, many (if not most) servitors are vat grown, and most of us have used the "yeah, he's got a vat cloned arm" excuse when we don't want to have to give our characters a bionic every time they take a particularly nasty hit. But as Adlan says, growing a complete new you is (usually) heresy.

GW's =I= articles

O_o

yeah  look  what happened the  last time the Imperium  made  26  clones !!

AI  is  not  real  AI  really  since  the machine spirit  has  organic in it  therefore it has a soul

IFV  is not  really not cloning 

as  far as  vat grown  servitors ??  well there are mindless  and  only  used  for the  most  base and base  labour