Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Brand new player, Brand new character.

Started by Darksinger, December 24, 2010, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

Quote from: Darksinger on December 26, 2010, 09:08:48 PM
As for why all the junk is there, the planet is a small world within standard space travel duistance of Armageddon- the industrial waste left over from the war with the orks has got to go somewhere, and somewhere the orks cant get ahold of it- The planets mutants are more than a match for the menial orks and their unwilling grot helpers.
So it's another planet within the Armageddon system? I'm not certain, but I imagine the whole system has been covered in outline at least - are there other inhabitable planets within the system? Is there anything about them in the canon?

QuoteAbilitys- He is proficient with a sniper, sixty or so years of training in a warp-lost world will give anyone a damn good idea of exactly how a wepon works. The rest of his eqipment was just cobbled together, his pistls simply taken from dead comrades.
Lots of characters in Inquisitor have many years experience with weapons - they don't all have Quickload. Snipers take time to pick their shots, they don't generally need to reload quickly - so what's different about him? Also snipers almost tend to fire from a position of concealment - should he have a skill or equipment to help him hide?

QuoteAlyster Wick: The rouge trader thing, that was a label the book gave me. I didn't really know what else to call him, so i kinda had to improvise with the trade kliscence. Thinking about it, I could take that part out and just make him a trader i suppose, albiet one with a pretty nifty ship.
What kind if trader? What sort of licence dies he hold? Most restrict the bearer in what he can trade and on what routes? What kind of ship does he have? In what way is it 'nifty'? Where did he get it?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but there are a lot of things you could expand on in his background...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Darksinger on December 26, 2010, 09:08:48 PMThe main reason the junk planet was stripped bare by the tyranids, not disease or otherwise, is mainly for the campaign he is in.
Fine, then call it an experimental Tyranid bio-toxin that was disseminated by a Genestealer cult.
The sting in the tail is that nobody realises that it was a 'Nid bio-toxin and they're blissfully unaware of the approaching threat that's coming to strip the defenceless world clean.

QuoteAs for why all the junk is there, the planet is a small world within standard space travel duistance of Armageddon.
The hive fleets are approaching from the galactic east, heading more or less for Terra (with the suggestion that it is the Astronomicon drawing them in like a lighthouse).
But Armageddon is in the Galactic north west of the Segmentum Solar, so no world nearby would have ever encountered Tyranids. Additionally, the Biel-Tan craftworld is in the galactic south east.

... And yes, I have just shown I'm a huge nerd.

If you have to build the 'Nids into this campaign, the world rather needs to be in the Tempestus Sector.
Preferably the south of the sector if you want to keep anything to do with Biel-Tan - although if you decide he's lying his face off about being an Eldar prisoner, that's obviously not a problem (and him being thousands of light years away would be a nice subtle clue to that).

QuoteHe is proficient with a sniper, sixty or so years of training in a warp-lost world will give anyone a damn good idea of exactly how a wepon works.
I wouldn't say so. A warp lost world is not going to have the normal laws of physics, so he's going to find all the shooting skills he learnt there will be less relevant on more normal worlds. It'd be very like using an entirely different weapon.

For similar reasons, I will only ever give people really high BS values when they've trained on several planets, learning to cope with variations in gravity, atmosphere, planetary spin (and thus the Coriolis effect) rather than just the conditions of one world.

QuoteAlthough it would be nice to get a little praise (my dad is sooooooo disaproving of nearly everything i do, so it's a little frustrating to get critque elsewhere as well.)
Don't mistake critique for disapproval. We're trying to help you take the idea and fit it better within the 40k canon.

I can (and do) offer praise, but your last few posts have mostly been more fragments of background that we've already been saying has canonicity flaws.
There are good ideas to be exploited here and people have offered you a good few ways you could improve on his adherence to the canon, but you do need to consider these ideas rather than just shooting them down.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Alta

Darksinger, who said that we would be involving Tyranids in the campaign?
There may be a Genestealer Cult and a few stealers, but no hive fleet. Also, there is no planned campaign at the moment.

For reference the centre point of all the characters in our gaming group is in between Ymgarl and Doton (near Ultramar) on this map: http://files.meetup.com/1529335/40K%20Galaxy%20Map.jpg

Our gaming group consists of:
Me - Mercenaries and an Inquisitor(no rules yet)
Gazkul - Quelli Santificati (Chem Dogs)
Frostspear - Inquisitor Ani Lycanson, Ordo Xenos
Gogz - Imperial Navy officers
Darksinger - Trader
My brother - Black market trader and Tzeentch cult

Darksinger, critique is always better than comments

...Few things in life make sense and unfortunately for you I am not one of them...

Darksinger

Ok guys, Im actually re-writing My character and his warband, keeping as many suggestions in mind from you guys. Will start a new thread for easy access, called 'Second attempts.'

Alta

Just in case you don't abandon this character, I've thought of a way which could allow kelsifer and the eldar to meet up.

Lailin Darkree was an Eldar woman, yet raised by humans after her parents abandoned her in unknown circumstances. Her adopted parents loved her and paid for her to have surgery on her ears so that she would fit in better. Yet at school people saw that she was different and she was teased and bullied for most of her life. This led her to be angry at most humans for bullying her, angry at the Eldar for leaving her, yet she could never be angry at her adopted parents.
When school was over she worked as a <insert job here> for a while. But she wasn't all that easy around humans, she wanted to go and find her own race, the Eldar. She journied off and eventually met up with the Alaitoc Craftworld.

Kelsifer Wyrma was a trader (I'll let you make up any previous history). On one trading voyage his ship, and many other ships in the area, were attacked by a Dark Eldar raiding party. He, like many others, were taken prisoner.

The raiding party hadn't gone far before it met a small fleet of Alaitoc vessels, one of them containing Lailin. There was a fight and in the battle the humans escaped. Lailin by this time had realised that she preferred the company of humans to Eldar. She stowed away with the humans as they escaped.

You can decide what happens next.
In regard to the mutant, he could be one of the prisoners, or be someone that they meet up with later...
...Few things in life make sense and unfortunately for you I am not one of them...

Kaled

Quote from: Alta on December 28, 2010, 09:38:36 AM
Her adopted parents loved her and paid for her to have surgery on her ears so that she would fit in better. Yet at school people saw that she was different and she was teased and bullied for most of her life. This led her to be angry at most humans for bullying her, angry at the Eldar for leaving her, yet she could never be angry at her adopted parents.
It would take a lot more than surgery on the ears to make an Eldar look human - so I'm not surprised the other children still bullied her - it would be immediately obvious as soon as she moved that she was not human. Given the extreme xenophobia in the Imperium I'm surprised the other children didn't just kill her - their parents, teachers and priests would have been so proud.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

I agree with Kaled. An Eldar is distinct from a human by far more than pointy ears.

The way they move, the way they speak, that all of their limbs are just a bit too slender and long, their completely black eyeballs, that they have emotions humans can barely even imagine, that they grow at a wildly different rate to human children.
It's also questionable whether humans could perform surgery on an Eldar. What drugs and cosmetic materials work for humans probably will not for Eldar, and if there's any surgeon who would be prepared to operate on a hateful Xeno, I would be surprised.

I did at one time have an Eldar character who, for various long, convoluted (and admittedly poorly thought out) reasons, was hiding in the Imperium. However, he spent his entire time cowled and hidden from sight, avoiding human contact as far as possible.

I think the same thing here. I think if there were an Eldar child living amongst humans, it would have to be kept hidden, almost never seeing the light of day, and never being a part of society or having any peers - and even then it would probably get a tough time.
Perhaps the most effective technique would be to pretend she was a mutant child. It would explain her being constantly hidden under piles of robes, most of the oddities in voice and movement, and why she was kept away from everyone else.

Mutants are still subject to extreme downtreading, but they are far more tolerated than Xenos.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

JoelMcKickass

If i remember correctly, there was a novel in which the planetary governor was in fact a mutant, and had bug eyes and wore goggles to hide them. He got that position through a hereditary posting, so it's not impossible that her adopted family who tragically, but secretly, lost the child, then found the abandoned xenos and adopted it. A mysterious cloaked stranger could have dropped the child off, and made the parents promise to raise the child as a human, but would come back at a later date and claim the child back, rumpelstiltskin esque.

Hell, he could have been an Inquistor trying to see the affects of a human raised Xenos. Just offering food for some thought.

Darksinger

I like the idea of that, but iunfortunately, yo guys are right, it is far to difflicult to work. The imperials would probably have just killed her off... Also, the eldar can't really afford to abandon children. They are far too few to do so.