Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Eldar Warband - Moving to the trade post...

Started by axiom, December 30, 2010, 12:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axiom

Quote from: precinctomega on January 05, 2011, 12:26:58 PM
I love that Legolas conversion!  Conclavers never cease to amaze me with their skill and imagination.

I wonder if he would look good with a bionic eye a bit like this:

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs50/PRE/i/2009/306/4/8/Eldar_Pirate_by_paranoimiac.jpg

R.

It was a really simple conversion - the ranger long rifle was pretty much made to fit the Legolas model :) I did think of adding something like a bionic eye, but given that the stock GW model has one, I figured not every member of my warband has to have one ;)

He's now about 50% painted - hoping to have in done by the weekend.

gwrulz

Sweet, can't wait to see the painted version!
Looking a Space Marine Helmet? I may have one!

Kaled

If he doesn't already have a shuriken pistol, maybe you could add one based on the design PO created for his Solitaire?  Fourth picture down in this thread.  It's nice and compact and could work very well on this guy.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

axiom

And the newest member (direct from the Russian plastic thread!):

axiom

So, I've been scratching around trying to find suitable heads for some of the other members of my Eldar warband - after all, I don't want everyone to look like a clone! After trying to track down a couple of Andrea Elf heads to no avail, I went down what will probably be a more satisfying route - getting some sculpted.

As I have no sculpting ability myself, I engaged the very excellent John Pickford (Otherworld Games and a few Hasslefree figures) - here are his very WIP 'sketch sculpts' of a bare and helmeted head. Please reserve judgement on these as there's lots of work to go.

The helmet needs squaring up and detailing, the bare head shape and teeth are to be worked on (and hair etc added).

These are specifically designed in the first instance to be fully compatible with the GW Ranger (although no head will be a direct copy of any GW design), but should equally work for any Space Elf figure. My plan is to have 4 heads in total (1 bare, 1 gas mask, 2 helmet) and to get a few sets cast up (if there's any interest I can keep you informed of any progress on that front). More progress here as and when.

Alyster Wick

I'm really liking those heads.  Your commitment to making a full and varied Eldar warband is fantastic, I don't know if I've seen a more unique set of Eldar yet.  I feel as though many (myself included) tend to get lazy with Eldar conversions and end up using lots of bulky bitz just because they're available which results in rather un-Eldar models, not here though!

Consider me interested if those heads get caste once finalized.

Kaled

Quote from: axiom on January 22, 2011, 12:12:40 AM
After trying to track down a couple of Andrea Elf heads to no avail
I don't remember seeing I reply last time I offered, but I've got one - the Ithandir head without a helmet.  Send me a PM if you're interested in a trade...

Elva

I admire the fact that you're willing to sculpt when a bit is unavailable.

As I am currently struggling with a sculpting project of my own and the fact that those are professional quality, you think you could give me a couple of pointers?
"Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!!"

axiom

Quote from: Elva on January 22, 2011, 11:34:09 PM
I admire the fact that you're willing to sculpt when a bit is unavailable.

As I am currently struggling with a sculpting project of my own and the fact that those are professional quality, you think you could give me a couple of pointers?

I'd love to take the credit, but I'm not sculpting these myself but am having them sculpted for me by a professional sculptor :) I can pass on any nuggets of advice I'm given, but my sculpting ability is extremely limited!

Elva

Anything would be appreciated. My Prawn project is trying my patience a bit too much for my liking.
"Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!!"

axiom

Quote from: Elva on January 23, 2011, 02:53:57 PM
Anything would be appreciated. My Prawn project is trying my patience a bit too much for my liking.

I'll see if John can drop us some tips :)

Right, some work of my own - a WIP Harlequin. This uses the El Viejo Dragon Egyptian Infantryman as a base:

I still need to work out what to do with his mask, belnd the joins at the arms and add some more detail to the belt, but the base of the model is there!

I ended up clipping away the bulk of the Egyptian's kilt and filed him down a new set of buttocks! The toes were simply greenstuffed, as was the belt, thigh sash and a few other bits and pieces. I then accessoriesed heavily - the mask is from the Paulson Games Bio-Abomination, the collar from a high elf mage, the topknot is from a Tau female special character (I forget the name) and the backpack comes from a RT eldar standard bearer. The kiss is a small eldar weapon bit (I think from a Reaper launcher0 mated with the thermic lance from the new Dark Eldar Reavers. Think that's everything!

So - the mask. I have three options - leave is largely as is, make it entirely blank by filling in the slits, or attempt to sculpt a face. My worry is, that I am rubbish as sculpting anything other than simple flat shapes!

Myriad

Quote from: Elva on January 23, 2011, 02:53:57 PM

Having taken on a few dauniting modelling projects myself Elva, it's worth persevering.  I find I improve constantly the more I do, and it's always worth it even if the result isn't great.  You can always build on the experience and go back for a second try.

I couldn't quite see how that egyptian was going to work axiom but you've really transformed it.   Looking good.  The mask isn't a classical harlequin look but I quite like it how it is.  As I recall plenty of herlequins have blank masks in a kind of pattern rather than a face.  Might be worth checking that doesn't mean they're a solitaire though. :)
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Hadriel Caine

The harlequin looks awesome. I didn't recognise it from the base model! where is the mask from?
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

axiom

Quote from: Adam Cunis on January 25, 2011, 02:07:17 PM
The harlequin looks awesome. I didn't recognise it from the base model! where is the mask from?

It's from Paulson Games Bio Terror:

I pre-ordered one when they were first available and it was shipped with two masks, so the spare was perfect for the Harlie.

EDIT: I had a go at attempting to sculpt the face following the lines of one of the current harlies who has a half-blank, half-grinning mask:

I still need to add the mouth grill, but it will do I reckon :)

Kaled

Very nice work - the mask really looks great.

Any progress on the painting side of things?

I hope you're able to at least pop into the IGT so we can see them in the flesh.