Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Eldar Warband - Moving to the trade post...

Started by axiom, December 30, 2010, 12:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molotov

Excellent work on the Harlequin - it looks nothing like the original model, which is a testament to your skills.

I saw this online and it made me think of this blog...
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

axiom

Thanks all for the comments and feedback - it's great to hear & I'm glad the figure works well.

Quote from: Adam Cunis on February 03, 2011, 12:51:41 AM
Great job. Really vibrant. I would personally have painted some checks.

I do like checks on Harlies, but in all honesty my painting isn't up to it - my straight lines are rarely straight, and it was an easier option to do hearts!

Quote from: Molotov on February 03, 2011, 02:52:07 PMI saw this online and it made me think of this blog...

I wish I had those painting and converting abilities - that figure is REAL skill :)

Quote from: Ulgavitch on February 03, 2011, 08:08:18 AMThe face especially is great, though I probably would have chosen a different colour for the mask. White doesn't really allow you to show the relief as well

It doesn't look as flat in real life - I had to colour balance the pic a bit because I'd taken it late at night. Personally I'm a traditionalist with mask colours, and white is the classic GW scheme.

Just to keep you updated, my base for a Gyrinx arrived today - the classic Wood Elf wildcat :)

axiom

I realise this may frustrate some of you, but I converted yet another figure in 30 mins over my lunch today (my painting is much slower and I would have barely base-coated a figure in that time). This is my first female Eldar for the warband, based on the Dark Ages Ltd Edition 54mm 'Lucky' (apparently there are only 499 of these, and I've mutilated one!

I'm yet to develop a character for her as I only bought the figure on Tuesday, but I'm thinking shell be a psyker. Anyway, onto the pics:

I swapped out her pistol for a shuriken pistol, and added her a little cape type affair (I figured Eldar are probably a touch more modest) and waystone arounder her neck. Her hair wasn't at all Eldar-esque, so I chopped it off  and sculpted something new. She also has new ears which don't show up that well against the hair. If I'm honest, the hair is just about passable - it's probably too bulky so looks like a wig, and the original hair was a real pain to remove from around the face and my filing was limited because I didn't want to damage any of the features. Oh well, paint hides a multitude of sins!

Finally, here's what will probably be her Gyrinx psychic familiar:

In the end I went for this model (the classic wood elf beastmaster wildcat) because the size was right, although its a bit too 'big cat' like for my taste. I was looking for something like a lynx, but couldn't dind one the right size (I found several which were massive, and a couple which were too small). I discounted a whole array of domestic cats/fantasy cats too before finally settling on this one!

DapperAnarchist

Give the Grynx ear-tufts. That'll make it exactly right, I think.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

precinctomega

I confess that, compared to your earlier conversions, I'm not entirely persuaded by Lucky.  I couldn't say for sure what I thought was bothering me about her.  Possibly her hair is too untidy?  Possibly her shoulders are too narrow?  Perhaps it's just that I feel the posture lacks elegance.

A paint-job might persuade me otherwise, of course.

R.

axiom

Quote from: precinctomega on February 05, 2011, 08:20:25 AM
I confess that, compared to your earlier conversions, I'm not entirely persuaded by Lucky.  I couldn't say for sure what I thought was bothering me about her.  Possibly her hair is too untidy?  Possibly her shoulders are too narrow?  Perhaps it's just that I feel the posture lacks elegance.

Funnily enough, you're thinking the same things as me. I quite like the pose myself, but the hair hasn't come together as well as I'd hoped. I may well scrape it off and start again. Can't win them all I suppose!

Heroka Vendile

I'd agree that the issue is the hair, it just doesn't look natural, perhaps some kind of eloborate/ornate head/hairband could be added to make the hair shape appear more likely?
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Alyster Wick

The shoes and the pose just look a little "gutter-punk" for an Eldar, at least IMO.  I actually like the hair personally, but again, it lacks the flair and style that really distinguish your other models.  I do think, however, that she'd make a good human who emulates Eldar society.

axiom

So while I decide what to do with the female (she's currently bald again!), I painted up the second member - the Pirate Prince. He's got the same colour pallete as the Harlequin, but with a dash more blue and a less white:

And the pair together

The Rangers will be less garish, with their tunics being the blue, but cloaks/overcoats being the same grey as this chap's trousers.

Ulgavitch

Is is the photo, or does the pirate have his eyes closed or is staring at the floor?

It's a nice paint job though.

axiom

Quote from: Ulgavitch on February 07, 2011, 07:51:49 AM
Is is the photo, or does the pirate have his eyes closed or is staring at the floor?

It's a nice paint job though.

Ah. Perhaps I might have missed those pupils...or maybe he's imbued with psychic power which shoots bright white light from his eyes. Yes, that's probably it ;)

Edit: So the female Eldar has lost her wild and uncontrolled back-combed hair do in favour of a sleeker look (I still need to sculpt her some new ears):

She's got a new cowl/hood type arrangement, pet gyrinx and I've also filed down a touch more the mess from the old hairstyle as much as I can without starting to affect the facial details.

Better?

Ulgavitch

QuoteAh. Perhaps I might have missed those pupils...or maybe he's imbued with psychic power which shoots bright white light from his eyes. Yes, that's probably it

Ahah! You've spoiled your own trap. Now I know what to look out for at the GT: Xenos scum with cyclops style eye energy beams.. Another thing to be afraid of!  ;)

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: axiom on February 07, 2011, 03:18:22 PMAh. Perhaps I might have missed those pupils
Bit more than that. Eldar do not have the sclera or a distinct iris - their eyes should appear entirely black, with no "whites" or eye colour at all.

Something to remember when you're doing the rest of them.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

axiom

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 07, 2011, 04:36:16 PM
Quote from: axiom on February 07, 2011, 03:18:22 PMAh. Perhaps I might have missed those pupils
Bit more than that. Eldar do not have the sclera or a distinct iris - their eyes should appear entirely black, with no "whites" or eye colour at all.

Something to remember when you're doing the rest of them.

Really? I've been playing and painting Eldar since RT and I cannot recall that description anywhere, either written, painted or depicted in artwork (of course I'll happily delete all that out if proved otherwise ;) ). All the early Jes Goodwin sketches (and I bow to him as the definitive source on Eldar) show either pupils, or blank white eyes (which is more common).

Here's some examples (Jes Goodwin sketches from 1989-2009, plus a John Blanche piece from ~1992):

DapperAnarchist

its from Xenology, and Karl Kopinski's Eldar portraits.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!