Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Eldar Warband - Moving to the trade post...

Started by axiom, December 30, 2010, 12:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormgrad

i love the new hair and the painting on both the harlequin and the prince looking forward to seeing the rest of this warband painted

axiom

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on February 07, 2011, 05:32:15 PM
its from Xenology, and Karl Kopinski's Eldar portraits.

Thanks for the info - it's always useful to see what has been written down and where.

Ah well, I don't put too much veracity to Xenology...like a lot of Black Libarary stuff it got a lot of things slightly...well, different to conventional 40k lore :) I think I prefer JG's interpretation

precinctomega

Lucky definitely looks better like that, although I've still got qualms about her pose.

And is it just me, or does that gyrinx look more like a terrier.

R.

Myriad

It does a little.  The model has a fairly canine pose, and cats tend to look a little leaner around the waist.  No doubt it'll be more obviously feline once it's painted and we can see the shape of the face.

While you're sculpting the ears, I'd add a bit of pointy to the nose as well perhaps, might make her look a bit less human.  I like the cowl, it works better than the hair did.  There is something of the contemplating lesser beings to the pose.

Eldar eyes can't be entirely pupil can they?  That wouldn't make sense, not that that's stopped the fluff writers before.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Myriad on February 08, 2011, 01:38:38 PMEldar eyes can't be entirely pupil can they?  That wouldn't make sense
Look at many mammals. Dogs, guinea pigs, whatever. Many of them have a very wide iris that means the sclera is mostly hidden behind the eye lids.
Take that, then have a very dark iris that is indistinguishable from the pupil (to human eyes, at least*), and an animal with seemingly completely black eyes is perfectly plausible.

*For example, this "dark brown" iris:

...is mostly indistinguishable from the pupil, so I wouldn't write off something a shade darker, particularly in an alien species.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

axiom

Quote from: precinctomega on February 08, 2011, 07:33:16 AM
Lucky definitely looks better like that, although I've still got qualms about her pose.

And is it just me, or does that gyrinx look more like a terrier.

R.

Ack - don't say that! Now I can't see anything other than small excitable dog when I look at it...looks like I need to track down another cat :(

Quote from: Myriad on February 08, 2011, 01:38:38 PM
While you're sculpting the ears, I'd add a bit of pointy to the nose as well perhaps

I'll have a try, but the nose is so tiny and I don't want to add a great big honker ;)

Edit: I was just playing about with the warband and took a quick group shot (terrier and all!). Some new figures arrived this morning ready for some conversion work, so think of this as a little teaser shot!

Holiad

What happened to the initial gyrinx, pictured higher up in the thread than the one you used?  Mantic games do a hunting cat roughly the same size as the one used, that might be a more feline looking familiar.

More conversions?  It'll be a small army before you know it.  Looking forward to seeing what you make of them though.

Apologies, I'm accidently posting in disguise here. :)
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire

kierkegaard

I like the finished pirate prince very much. I never would have thought of that model as looking like an Eldar, but you have done a great job there.

I'm not a fan of the 'Lucky' model, but I will reserve judgment until it is painted. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the new musician and swordsman models in the group photo.

Could you point me in the direction of the cat models that you found that were too big?

axiom

Quote from: Holiad on February 08, 2011, 11:30:47 PM
What happened to the initial gyrinx, pictured higher up in the thread than the one you used?

Still going to be used; the little gyrinx is purely decorative rather than a seperate entity. That Mantic cat looks very nice and I'll looking at one or two other options which may be better than our terrier friend :)

Quote from: kierkegaard on February 08, 2011, 11:47:43 PM
I like the finished pirate prince very much. I'm not a fan of the 'Lucky' model, but I will reserve judgment until it is painted. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the new musician and swordsman models in the group photo.

Could you point me in the direction of the cat models that you found that were too big?

Glad you like the Prince, although it worries me so many people are finding it difficult to see 'Lucky' as Eldar. I really need to get her finished and painting to prove you all wrong...or maybe I will be proved wrong myself!

Cat's I looked at but were too big were the Papo and Schleich toy cat and lynxs, Trent miniatures' tiger, Reaper's Elven cat, Phoenix Models' leopard which I still would like to use somewhere at some point:

I also looked at a whole bunch of smaller cats which were variously too small, too fantasy or too domestic. I don't even really like cats!

axiom

Quote from: kierkegaard on February 08, 2011, 11:47:43 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the new musician.

I enjoy converting more than painting, and lack discipline in actually finishing models, especially when new ones arrive in the post. Yesterday I received 3 Russian 54mm figures (the musician, samurai and kneeling rifleman in the group shot). The are a decent scale, perhaps a touch larger than some of the Eldar figures I've already done, but as they're all kneeling or crouching, it shouldn't be too obvious. The samurai will become a Warlock when I receive the head, and the rifleman will become a pirate. The musician was destined to become Gythren the Elder, an Eldar Psi-Singer - a bard type character who can project pychic thoughts and images into minds by playing the psi-lute. He'll be an old, largely non-combatant character, but with a couple of telepathic (emotion)-based powers.

I've done very little to the base figure, apart from the head swap. Spock's hair cut had to be filed away from the forehead, and then I added some more Eldar-esque hair. The greenstuff on the wrist was simply to repair damage from removing the original head. The psi-lute has had a couple of controls added to the base, and a psi-harmonics tube inserted into the crook of the elbow. Finally, I added a projector vane as a little backpack – I'm considering linking it up to the psi-lute if I can find my pewter power cables. What do you think about the base? Ideally I'd like to remove the ugly thick-lipped cast base, but its going to be a real chore to saw it off as the figure is completely solid.

biggreengribbly

It doesn't look like it would be too difficult to blend/bevel it a bit, towards the base lip, then cover it up with your choice of basing technique (something natural, or maybe sitting on a pile of blankets or something would probably fit the uneven surface better than man(/eldar) made psuedo industrial. Or maybe even some Wraithbone run-off forming around him in crazed frosty patterns if there's an element of Bonesinging linked to his music-psyker powers.)

kierkegaard

The musician looks great with Spock's head.

What is the plastic bit in the crook of his right arm supposed to be? Part of the instrument?
edit - stupid me, I missed that bit of text in the original post.

I can't offer any advice on the base because I can't work out what it is that he is sitting on.

Kaled

Spock's head looks great on that model - nice work.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Alta

I don't really like the psi-harmonics tube, but the rest looks fantastic. Well done.

Also I found another Inquisitor Eldar warband while browsing DA that I thought you might like / take inspiration from:
http://profytroll13.deviantart.com/gallery/9992013

...Few things in life make sense and unfortunately for you I am not one of them...

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: Alta on February 12, 2011, 04:51:49 PMAlso I found another Inquisitor Eldar warband while browsing DA that I thought you might like / take inspiration from:
http://profytroll13.deviantart.com/gallery/9992013

looking through those photos, I have a stong suspicion that they aren't 54mm Inquisitor figures at all and are in fact all based from the (75mm?) Asyrman model from the old Forgeworld Showcase Series.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy