Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

By request Conlitor's Motley Crew

Started by Gnaeus Conlitor, September 01, 2009, 08:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaled

Yes, if you're talking daemonhosts rather than actual  daemons, then Fearsome ought to be sufficient in most cases.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Discy

Maybe for differing Fearsome thingies, something like "Fearsome(-20%)" with the (-20%) the deduction from the Nerve value.
Sorry if that didn't make much sense, I'm kinda tired...
Beep if you love muties!

Simeon Blackstar

I think the problem with the whole fear/terror thing is that it's largely subjective.  For example, I'd apply fearsome to a zombie, a daemonhost, my newest Inquisitor who on using Burning Hands appears to be self immolating like an Avatar, a Space Marine and an angry Ogryn.

Out of those, I'd probably get over the fear of the zombie so long as I had a weapon, the Ogryn I wouldn't charge but wouldn't find much more scary than any other guy with a gun or sword (all kill you just as dead), the Space Marine would cause me true fear simply because I couldn't hurt it, while the daemonhost or flaming guy would absolutely terrify me and most others, except that at the same time my Christian faith would give me some measure of protection against fearing demons/magic, whether or not you believe it would offer real protection.

I think there's a solid case for building lots of different grades into INQ2, if PO's not already come up with such a system already.  I think the tests should also be taken for more than just charging - being charged, shooting at something currently unaware of you or otherwise catching it's attention should also be tested for, while someone who's just killed your friend should become more scary (including just basic humans IMHO), and attacking something scary that's beating the crap out of a close friend should have a reduced penalty due to group loyalty.  Obviously you couldn't completely negate penalties for this, as the average guy isn't exactly going to try to rescue someone from a greater daemon, no matter how close a friend they were.

Would 5 or 6 levels of fear be about right? (something like Disturbing, Scary, Fearsome, Monstrous, Terrifying, Horrific)

RobSkib

The problem with having more than two 'bands' of scariness is that you then have three times as many problems as you do at the moment - classifying whether something is Terrifying or Horrific whether a particularly ugly mutant counts as Scary or just Disturbing. Either way, having it as simply Fearsome and Terrifying allows a great deal of leeway for the GM to impose modifiers (as it is his job to do!) on the fly depending on the circumstances. If you made more categories, you would just be forcing the game into a more strict system, rather than the organic flowing system that Inquisitor excels at.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.