Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Most Gratuitous Abuse

Started by Gnaeus Conlitor, August 01, 2009, 05:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DapperAnarchist

If I recall - the Sergeant wasn't wearing his helmet and got hit by a lucky shot, and the Rocket guy was moving him out of the way and seeking a better firing position. But yeah, a lot of the local GW staff seem to see Inquisitor as a way to have grudge matches where Space Marines and Officio Assassins can sweep all before them...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Gnaeus Conlitor

I just had a bad group when I used to go down to the local GW (now closed) for veterans night. The Acrobatic Death Company with a Conversion field was pretty awful but the worst offender was Mintoe. For some reason you had to inflict 5 times his toughness in damage to kill him among other things that made the only sure fire way of killing him chucking him out of an airlock. As Mintoe was a GM character we had no scenarios in space. The worst thing about it was the way I had to twink my characters to keep up with them. I made a lot of conversions which are now too badass to be used in a sensible game such as my Malican conversion with a Multimelta on his back.
Inquisitor got me in to roleplaying which in turn kick started my writing career. I am eternally grateful.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Gnaeus Conlitor....that made the only sure fire way of killing him chucking him out of an airlock.
I'll admit, I have a current character who's a little like that, but it's more a case of "Killing him permanently". He's a mutant of fairly generous regenerative capacity and he's come back from medically dead on at least three occasions.

In game, he can still be killed (although his regeneration skill won't make it hugely easy to do so), but he will eventually come back - after the game however, because such results are deemed "Beyond rapid regeneration". Still, there aren't a huge number of ways to keep him reliably dead.

But he's hardly an unfair character. Other than being highly resilient, he's pretty average and isn't particularly skilled or dangerous.

Backstory-wise, he spent a lot of his life as a bodyguard to a wealthy criminal, who was acceptant of his mutation, and who had a lot of use for his regeneration.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

precinctomega

QuoteBut he's hardly an unfair character.

On the contrary.  In "capture alive" scenarios (which are, let's be honest, pretty common*), he's a very fair character because opponents can do what they like to him and still be confident that he'll be breathing when they interrogate him.

*Point for aspirant GMs: Capture Alive Scenarios (CAS) are a great way to moderate overblown warbands** as it means that using those multimeltas, heavy bolters, power halberds and suchlike becomes very risky.  And up-armoured characters are much easier to merely stun with weight of fire, thanks to their armoured protection.

Not dying, in INQ, isn't always the best idea.

**I still hate this word in INQ.

R.

Gideon Sterne

Quote from: precinctomega on August 04, 2009, 08:25:05 AMwarbands  ... I still hate this word in INQ.

Which is why I call them 'retinues' or 'groups' or even 'units'.

Aidan

Quote from: Gideon Sterne on August 04, 2009, 08:44:12 AM
Quote from: precinctomega on August 04, 2009, 08:25:05 AMwarbands  ... I still hate this word in INQ.

Which is why I call them 'retinues' or 'groups' or even 'units'.

You know, you guys are right. I'm going to stop using 'warband' too. It casts completely the wrong idea.

Aidan

I haven't seen too much by way of 'abuse' in games, and hopefully that's a testament to good GMing. I'm known to be stingy with power, though, and have helped to design most of the characters that appear, and those I haven't had a hand in seem to be fine anyhow. In my experience, most overpowering happens with newbies who try to convert 40k rules (where, for example, a laspistol is only good for lighting cigarettes) to inquisitor. The only space marines we've ever had tromping the field were back in IQ 28 days.

There have been a few occasions, such as a guy with a hellgun firing into a duel between the two big close-combat fighters on the field, which was a bit of a shame but which I let happen 'cause the combat was just so damn drawn out. In the future though, I wouldn't allow it. On the whole, our group is pretty good (maybe 'cause it's so small, damn New Zealand) - surprising since on of us is infamous for, in warhammer 40k, managing to 'draw line of sight' - bending the tape measure in a narc around the great big obstruction between him and the target.

-Aidan.

O_o

?? I would have to  say  me  with a flamer  or Auto gun on semi
one will burn  them  the  other  punches holes in a meat sack   ;D

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: precinctomega on August 04, 2009, 08:25:05 AMIn "capture alive" scenarios, he's a very fair character because opponents can do what they like to him and still be confident that he'll be breathing when they interrogate him.
Actually, that brings up another point I've been mulling over. Interrogating him would be interesting. Physical torture would be of limited use , as he has little reason to fear pain - but then again, you don't really ever have to worry about (permanently) killing him as a result of what you're doing.
Unless you decapitate, cremate, liquidise, starve or persistently suffocate him, you can keep trying again, and again, and again...

Serious implications. In many ways, the fact he can't die (of most things) is a real double-edged sword.

He wouldn't have immunity to psychic interrogation though.

Actually, I should note that he doesn't wear armour - what point in there in hindering yourself with that weight if you don't need to? On a similar point, he has the Nerves of Steel skill, and justifiably so.

QuoteWarbands - I still hate this word in INQ.
I often steer away from it myself. I use "entourage" reasonably frequently.

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

The most abusive thing I've ever encountered was isn't really that much. When I gave a daemon hunting character to a new player, I told him he should not really use the psycannon, as bullets were so hard to replace, and stick to his side arm, but he disregarded that and used it with reckless abandon. I learned to limit the ammo on it much more severly.

QuotePhysical torture would be of limited use , as he has little reason to fear pain

Just because he needn't fear death it dosn't mean he is indifferent to pain. My sister would break is you tickled her, but not because she thinks it would be fatal.
*Insert token witticism*

precinctomega

"Retinue", "Staff" and "Entourage" make sense only in the context of "and".  I.e. "Inquisitor X and his..."

"Group" and "band" are too pop music.  Unit, too military.  Squad, too 40k.  Gang, too Necromunda.

Not that I have a distinctive answer.  I tend to give specific groups their own codename.  "Team 6" is a well-known example.  It doesn't matter who's leading them or attached to them: they're all "Team 6".

Then I have Xerxes (Enobarbus), Sinister (Cleops) and Tormentor (Braman).  These don't describe an inquisitor and his retinue, but rather a specific combination of characters.  If I use a different combination, they get a different codename.

R.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 05, 2009, 10:45:42 AMJust because he needn't fear death it doesn't mean he is indifferent to pain.
No, the two are not necessarily mutually inclusive. However, he IS that way. Many years of regular and ultimately inconsequential injury have left him acclimatised to pain to the extent that it now means little to him.

Indeed, the two things appear as separate traits on his profile: "Nigh Indestructible" (the supercharging of his Regeneration) and "Pain is Nothing" (his indifference to pain).

GW's =I= articles

Dust King

Quote from: Aidan on August 05, 2009, 12:13:26 AM
surprising since on of us is infamous for, in warhammer 40k, managing to 'draw line of sight' - bending the tape measure in an arc around the great big obstruction between him and the target.

-Aidan.

Ahh I remember that, it wasn't so much the bending of the tape as the couple of minutes spent arguing about it (good times)

Also I quite like the sound of 'crew', it's a bit more informal than the others.

GhouraAgur

Quote from: Dust King on August 10, 2009, 04:41:52 AM
Quote from: Aidan on August 05, 2009, 12:13:26 AM
surprising since on of us is infamous for, in warhammer 40k, managing to 'draw line of sight' - bending the tape measure in an arc around the great big obstruction between him and the target.

-Aidan.

Ahh I remember that, it wasn't so much the bending of the tape as the couple of minutes spent arguing about it (good times)

Also I quite like the sound of 'crew', it's a bit more informal than the others.

No love for posse?  Company seems right, eh?  After all, it's some chap "accompanied" by some "companions"....generally.  Ah well...evil characters/whatever are easier to name.  From eldar pirates to chaotic cults, all you need is something melodramatic proceeded  by a definate article.  In games with only one inquisitor, you could always have some acolyte proclaime, "Rejoice!  Your troubles are ended!  The Inquisition is arrived!"

Since, for that particular game at least, that one character represents the the Emperor's Will incarnate.

precinctomega