Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

4th char - Cadian Vet Seargent

Started by TJ-Flames, January 19, 2011, 08:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ-Flames

4th char Cadian Vet Seargent

Example of model

WS  BS  S    T    I    Wp  Sg   Nv Ld SP
78   68  67  63  66  68   54  72  67  4

Abilities:
Feint
First Strike
Furious Assault
Fast Draw
Hipshooting

Equipment:
Laspistol
Chainsword
2 frag grenades
1 photon flash grenade

Carapace Armour-Chest, Abdomen
Flak Armour-Arms, Legs, Groin
--------------------------------------
Definitely need some advice on the skills, can maybe drop hipshooting, as ge is slightly more close combat orientated, and some of the CC abilities might be a bit much combined with the chainsword.

O and By the way, I have decided my characters all come from within the Segmentum Obscurus, so background should follow real soon, just need to decide who comes from wich planet.

Thus guy is from Cadia, but will add more info.

Kaled

I would suggest picking one of either Furious Assault or Feint as they generally represent very different fighting styles. The first is usually for someone who'll batter their opponent with a rain of blows, the second is usually for a skilled swordsman who'll attempt to wrong-foot their opponent. Most close-combatants can be represented with a good WS and don't need either skill.

One thing that strikes me about your characters is how generic they are, not just in terms of background, but in that they're all very common archetypes - guardsman, arbites, desperado, pathfinder. Where's the Elbonian Twist-Cultist? The Dancer-Assassin of Puplov Major? The Devonion Foul-Savant? Or Uniton Techno-noble? No, I don't know what any of those are - but the point is they're not just taken straight from the list of Inquisitor archetypes. If you're introducing people to the game, better to show them the massive variety of character choices available (i.e. everyone in the Imperium) instead of just using a very small list.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

TJ-Flames

What you say is true, but these are only the first of many characters I'm designing, therefore it is easier to work from a generic archtype, once I have a proper feel of how the stats and abilities are represented to a skilled char, I can use them as a benchmark to design other characters.

I really want to do a couple of non combat characters, like a psyker that can read minds, a administratum clerk who is a hacker/good with electronics, a tech-adept. A Navigator.

So I'm just busy dipping my toes into the pool that is Inquisitor, and once I'm used to the water, I'll jump in! ;D

Kaled

Go on, jump in at the deep end - it's the best way to learn! Sure you'll probably make more mistakes, but by making them early you have more time to learn from them... :)

Making an Administratum adept or member of some cult with a weird name isn't really any more difficult than creating a guardsman or arbites, and you may well end up with more interesting characters than a typical generic desperado or pathfinder. And creating interesting characters makes narrative wargaming easier and more rewarding.

Adlan

I'll agree with Kaled, jump in the deep end. I'll disagree with what the Deep end is. Not just creating non generic characters (which is part of it), but you haven't yet designed any characters at all. You've written Statlines. They don't have names, personality, or character. I think you have an idea what the character is like in your head, but you haven't written it out yet.

People on the conclave are great at helping get a character into a reasonable, balanced and good statline. They can't get mcuh of a character from just a statline.

And just as 40k is about armies, Inquisitor is about Characters. There are many, many ways to make a character (concept first, model first, even, as you are doing, statline first though I usually suggest doing that last). But you'll find you adapt and learn inquisitor a lot faster once you start creating characters, and not just stalines with models.

A tool I foud incredibly useful when first learning to design characters was the 20 Questions, found in this thread: http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=270.0

Why not try it with this Sargent? Is the model pictured the one going to be used? If so, why does he carry his lasgun with him still? Especially if he's going to be more close combat orientated?

InquisitorHeidfeld

I've been suggesting the 20 Questions since the first one (IIRC) but...

In this instance I would suggest that this character is a cardinal error however - the archetype itself is not impossible to work with but Cadia could well be a major problem.
Cadia after all is a cannon world and despite the level of detail brought to it by the 13th Black Crusade it lacks a good deal of the sort of 'slice of life' information which is useful to roleplaying... And because it's a cannon world with so much detail it's impossible to safely make that sort of information up.

Whether you complete the 20 Questions for the character or not I would seriously suggest creating your own homeworld for him, like Cadia is fine but creating your own means that anything you feel you need to come up with will be correct regardless of what GW say.
Be as detailed as you like but I'd suggest that you need to know whereabouts in the galaxy it is, the planet's name, and at least the name of the nearest substantial population centre to where this guy grew up.

All that said however we're doing very little worthwhile here while all we have is some numbers and equipment, it's like playing Top Trumps: Dinosaurs and expecting a degree in Paleantology ATM.

Kaled

Cadia has some 'slice of life' background, not huge amounts but enough to create a convincing character from that world.  And if his fluff clashes with later fluff released by GW then it's probably not really a problem anyway - I know GW tend to portray worlds as monocultures, but there's always going to be slight variations across a world, probably enough to 'justify' the difference.

Personally I tend to create my own worlds, but I don't see any reason why people should be discouraged from using worlds in the GW canon - we're all playing in the GW sandpit to one degree or another.  Yes GW could change something, or tell us something, about Cadia that would mean something about this character's background is incorrect - but equally they could change something about the Inquisition that invalidates some people's background...

InquisitorHeidfeld

True, and point taken...
However I think that Cadia (due to its proximity to The Eye of Terror) is probably a higher risk prospect.

TJ-Flames

I don't see the problem, like all cadian males he would have been taken from a young age to attend various military schools, ending up in a regiment, on a ship, heading towards one or other battlefield, then only further in his career does his story start, by why he isn't in the Imperial Guard anymore, bla bla bla, etc.