Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Tech-Priests. Heartless hunks of metal?

Started by Dwi, December 02, 2010, 08:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwi

After all my serching it dose indeed seem that the Priests of Mars are, like it's said, are just like the things they work on.
In fact in all my reading I have only ever seen two Tech-Priests (both from the mind of Sandy Mitchell) who even show anything comeing close to feelings.

Here is what I have found so far:
Anger:
Anger seems to be one of the most common but this seems to be only when something goes so bad that it distorys what the TP was working on.

Hate:
Like any good human or half human I should say TPs hate Chaos and Zenos well Anti-zenos do anyway.
Hate of anythig other than that the things said above and the flesh seems to be below them

Love/Compassion:
Neather of these are going to happen any time soon. A TP loveing sombody is never going to happen even thier own mother and father are low on the list.
They seem to have no friends other than servitors.
Not only that but even if a young mother and child are in danger a TP won't go out of his way to save them and God forbit that they be in the way of a TP's Quest for Knowledge cause if they are they better grab some stones and dig thier graves

Fear:
It takes alot to scare a TP a Deamon/Greater Deamon might do it. Maybe a realy bad pice of Zeno tech but other than that.......

So thats what I have found what do you guys think?
Also has anyone toyed with the idea of a TP with feelings?
May The Emperor protect us from the dakness of the void. That or we can run around in little cricles and wave our arms and shout

Myriad

I think partly most black library writers aren't terribly good and tech-priests get the short end of the stick in terms of portrayal.  I've always reckoned that they start out as human as anyone, albeit with a slightly strange faith in the omnissiah, hence 'young' or low ranking tech-priests should have the full range of emotions.

The more upgraded they become, the more machine like they get.  The way I see it, this puts a damper on the whole spectrum of emotions, granting them a coldly rational aspect.  I think most of them retain enough humanity to save a mother and child, but they probably wouldn't endanger important objectives to do so.  Neither would most inquisitors, it should be noted. 

I don't see them as more prone to anger/hate than love/compassion.  In a high ranking tech-priest both should be equally muted.  They keep largely human motivations though and are just as prone to personality quirks, I'd say.  Fear falls into the same category.  They have a high degree of control of these impulses and are hard to rattle, although something that threatened to corrupt their technological systems may prove a phobia for some of them.

Hate of all things chaos and xenos is a part of the imperial creed, and the mechanicus are no exception.  They have a few quirks of their own about alien technology, I'd guess, being a challenge to the 'correct' way of doing things.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Morcus

As above I doubt most would be completely void of emotion.

I don't think it's fair to say they're complete loners either, I think it's more they prefer their own kind and of course knowledge is power so you don't want to give it away.

Kaled

Tech-Priests are human and have as wide a range of emotions as anyone else.  However, as they revere the perfection of the machine and aspire to become like it, emotions are often seen as a failing and most Tech-Priests are likely to repress their emotions and try to act on logic alone.  They are not unemotional, but prefer not to let their emotions show.

On top of that, Tech-Priests generally aspire to become more machine like by augmenting and replacing parts of their body with technology and some of these augmentations, such as the Rite of Pure Thought or emotional repressive surgery, will reduce the hold their emotions have over them and may even remove the emotions altogether.

In other words, if you want a Tech-Priest who is more emotional than most, then go for it - just bear in mind that most other Tech-Priests will see him as weak because of it.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

gwrulz

In the Horus Heresy novel  "Nemesis" - James Swallow - August 2010, the tech priest there exhibits love/lust/ect.

Looking a Space Marine Helmet? I may have one!

precinctomega

When it comes to tech-priests with feelings, may I draw readers.attention to Phobos Worked in Adamant in the Planetkill anthology?

;)

R.

Heroka Vendile

Mechanicus also features a hole book full of emotive adeptus mechanicus characters.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy