Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Renegade neophyte?

Started by Shannow, March 21, 2011, 11:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shannow

Having idly half sculpted half converted a character with no particular aim (picture tomorrow in WIP thread weather willing) I have been trying to come up with a back story for him, a problem being my scale was out which puts him close(ish) to artemis size.

Having a nosy though I found this character thread by Ynek:

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=869.msg11421#msg11421

And though my character wouldn't have any power armour at all is it reasonable to think that a renegade neophyte could survive without external support systems particularly and that his height and muscle would still be fairly augmented (though not massively so in terms of S and T)

I was thinking of perhaps a rule that beginning of turn role d100 and say a 00-10 or 90-100 he suffers side effects of improper medical attention?

Thoughts welcome
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

DapperAnarchist

Have you read the short story collection Let The Galaxy Burn? Its got an interesting story about a failed neophyte, who looked like he was going to be the very best, but couldn't accept the later stages of the geneseed. He's embittered, more or less abandoned in a mostly ignored training simulation facility, and desperate to prove himself... and of course, things go horribly horribly wrong. So, yeah, renegade neophyte is a great idea.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Kaled

The idea seems fine as long as you explain how he got away from his Chapter (I don't imagine they'd let him just wander off) and where he gets the drugs to maintain his enhanced metabolism (Astartes implants need constant monitoring and treatment).
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Shannow

Quote from: Kaled on March 22, 2011, 10:38:45 AM
(I don't imagine they'd let him just wander off)

Have you not heard of the Ultranicemarines :p ?

Thanks for the help, I'll post a pic up later with a comparison to a sevorina I converted way back if I can find her...

Will have a think and see what I can come up with
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Ulgavitch

QuoteHave you not heard of the Ultranicemarines

There are many things I would say about Space Marines ... 'nice' is certainly not one of them  ;) - as I keep trying to say to people when they say Marines are the 'good guys'

You're right, what a lovely fellow that biologically enhanced, brainwashed and conditioned psychopathic killing machine is ... 

We could call him 'fluffy'

Shannow

Indeed, there are so many skeletons in the space marines cupboard they've expanded into Narnia...

Time to die.

DapperAnarchist

He could be missing, presumed dead... or from a chapter so arrogant they don't bother to keep an eye on their serfs, assuming that they could never be a danger... or captured by Chaos Renegades during a boarding action...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Shannow

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on March 22, 2011, 06:09:00 PM
or captured by Chaos Renegades during a boarding action...

Now that I like! Also is nice substory for how he comes into service of an inquisitor...

Hmm once I've handed my dissertation in on thursday (and recovered from my inevitable hangover) I shall get cracking.

Many thanks

Time to die.

Aidan

Quote from: Shannow on March 22, 2011, 06:12:00 PM
Quote from: DapperAnarchist on March 22, 2011, 06:09:00 PM
or captured by Chaos Renegades during a boarding action...

Now that I like! Also is nice substory for how he comes into service of an inquisitor...

Only an Inquisitor of a fairly radical/ultra-pragmatic bent would accept a potentially tainted neophyte, though.

I've had a renegade neophyte running around for four years now making occasional appearances in Inquisitor. (Neophytes/scouts are popular, I guess, since they're *less* overpowered than regular marines...) In my case, though, the guy is just an unscrupulous mercenary, and he's able to run free because his chapter was largely destroyed.