Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Carnosaur/Stegadon?

Started by MarcoSkoll, March 22, 2011, 02:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myriad

the original illustration of a grox in rogue trader was closest to an anklyosaur with some small horns.  Not so obvious a predator as the carnosaur, which is more the sort of thing exodites might ride, and fine as a generic dinosaur. 

The stegadon in the photo is the old metal, and is substantially smaller (less bulky, especially) than the current plastic kit.  It seems a better match for a herd animal though.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Stormgrad on March 23, 2011, 04:50:23 PM...a herd of grox or some other reptilian nasty to fight...
Fight? Don't be silly. They're not enemies, they're "Dangerous Mobile Terrain".
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

I remember building a few of those Tamiya dinosaurs when I was a kid - they were pretty decent models as I recall (but it was a loooong time ago).
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Aurelius 12

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on March 23, 2011, 02:31:27 PM
... six velociraptors for ten pound? hmmm...

Mwahahahahaha Yoink.

Ahem. Not that I'm adding this to the ever increasing list of modelling projects, although it would work rather nicely with some of the other things I have in mind. So many ideas, so little time/money/time.
And the Saint did weep when she saw how lost the people were. Seven tears fell upon Gomorrah. Seven tears to wash away their sin. A deluge of heavenly tears drowned their world in an ocean of forgiveness. The people cleansed in a sea of nuclear fire.

Adlan

Different breeds of trod could look wildly different from each other.

In my 40k scout army I had a carnosaur ridden by a scout, with a twinlinked heavy bolted lashed to it's flank, as a dr
dreadnought.

What about using it as an =][= scape Croatalid (thats the warp travellin crocodile isn't it?).

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: Adlan on March 23, 2011, 09:49:45 PM
Different breeds of trod grox could look wildly different from each other.
Fixed.
That'd be predictive/auto-spellchecker at work then.

QuoteWhat about using it as an =][= scape Croatalid (thats the warp travellin crocodile isn't it?).
Yup.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Stormgrad

well then marco you best start writing rules for what happens if someone starts trying to cause the herd to stampede in a certain direction

precinctomega

You could use a variation of my "Frogger" scenario tool (from the "Twist in the Tail" article for DM) to represent fighting in a grox stampede.  Just widen the path of the "road" and get rid of the central reservation.

R.

Stormgrad

yeah i forgot about that, not a bad idea. How many Grox would constitute a herd, now im assuming if the grox do get made you will only do a few of them and recycle them, im guessing in a stampede the whole herd would go so the question is what is the smallest viable herd size for cattle

precinctomega

Well, in the Frogger scenario component, you don't need any actual grox.  However, to make it interesting you could roll a d100 at the start of each turn: that's the number of grox passing in that turn and hence acts as the basic chance of being hit by one - it serves to replicate the ebbs and flows of a herd and, with a nice wide corridor, it could tempt someone to try to charge across when there are only 5 or 6, only to not make it all the way and find 84 bearing down on him in the next turn.

Sorry to derail the thread with game mechanics!

For model purposes, you could throw a dozen or so minis into the corridor, just to make it clear where they are.  I suppose you could also put terrain in the path of the stampede, representing islands of safety (if you hide on the right side of them!) where the target number is halved to represent the reduced chance of being hit.

Also, there'd not really be any likelihood of a multiple pile-up such as described in Frogger.

R.

Stormgrad

i will need to re read that article when i get home (not wasting precious internet time reading stuff i can read when i don't have internets)