Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Taking damage

Started by Rajan, March 25, 2011, 08:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rajan

Hi!

My question is:

If a PG, with base injury 7, take 6 damage -> Is a Light Wound and the Base injury of the location go to 6.
The PG take 6 more damage on same location -> Is a Heavy Wound and Base injury of the location go to 12.
The PG take 2 more damage on same location -> It take another Heavy Wound effect or nothing until the Serious Wound??

Thanks!

Dolnikan

Hi,

When a character suffers damage to a location less than the base injury value the damge level goes up by one, when the character is uninjured this will make it a light injury, but if he had already suferred a light injury to this location the damage level would rise to heavy.

When more damage than the base injury value is done to a location it causes the injury level to go up by 2, making an uninjured location a heavily wounded location.

The base injury value will not change due to damage. Only the injury level of that location and the injury total will change.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

QuoteIf a PG, with base injury 7, take 6 damage -> Is a Light Wound and the Base injury of the location go to 6.
The PG take 6 more damage on same location -> Is a Heavy Wound and Base injury of the location go to 12.
While I made this mistake when I started playing, this is NOT how injury is calculated.
You don't track damage per location, then divide by the Injury total to get the damage effect.

Any hit that causes damage (even if a single point) after armour adds an injury level (So, if it's uninjured, it goes to Light. If light, it goes to heavy, etc). An extra injury level is done for each full Base Injury Value worth of damage done by any individual hit.
So for a BIV 7 character, a single hit doing:
1-7 Damage would be a single injury level added.
8-14 damage, two injury levels added
15-21 damage, three injury levels added.
Etc, etc, etc.

So, in your example, the first hit (being less than the BIV) would cause a light injury. The second hit, (also less than the BIV) would cause a Heavy Injury.
The last hit would cause a Serious Injury (if the location had a Serious injury), despite only 14 points of damage being done in total.

This does occasionally make for slightly funny damage effects (in that a character can be slapped four times in the face for 1 damage a time and die from 4 points of damage), but it does save on an awful lot of bookkeeping.
Injury total is tracked as a whole per character, but not per location.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Rajan

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on March 25, 2011, 09:30:58 AM
QuoteIf a PG, with base injury 7, take 6 damage -> Is a Light Wound and the Base injury of the location go to 6.
While I made this mistake when I started playing, this is NOT how injury is calculated.
You don't track damage per location, then divide by the Injury total to get the damage effect.

Any hit that causes damage (even if a single point) after armour adds an injury level (So, if it's uninjured, it goes to Light. If light, it goes to heavy, etc). An extra injury level is done for each full Base Injury Value worth of damage done by any individual hit.
So for a BIV 7 character, a single hit doing:
1-7 Damage would be a single injury level added.
8-14 damage, two injury levels added
15-21 damage, three injury levels added.
Etc, etc, etc.

So, in your example, the first hit (being less than the BIV) would cause a light injury. The second hit, (also less than the BIV) would cause a Heavy Injury.
The last hit would cause a Serious Injury (if the location had a Serious injury), despite only 14 points of damage being done in total.

This does occasionally make for slightly funny damage effects (in that a character can be slapped four times in the face for 1 damage a time and die from 4 points of damage), but it does save on an awful lot of bookkeeping.
Injury total is tracked as a whole per character, but not per location.

Ahhh ok so It's more simple, I must check for every damage the kind of wound?

Example:
BIV 7 -> thake ONE damage of 14 (after armor etc) its a Heavy Wound.
Now I take another damage (always same location) but only 7 -> It's only a light wound.

Right??

Thanks!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Rajan on March 25, 2011, 10:30:50 AMAhhh ok so It's more simple, I must check for every damage the kind of wound?
No. The scale is a progression.

Think of it as 0 (unhurt), 1 (light), 2 (Heavy), 3 (serious), 4 (Acute), 5 (Crippled) if it helps.
Damage of up to the BIV adds one level of injury.
Damage over 1 BIV, and up to 2 adds two levels of injury.
And so on and so forth.

So, in your example, Damage of 14 would cause a Heavy wound, but then the second damage of 7 would add an extra injury level, taking it up to Acute.

Basically, divide the Damage by the BIV, round up to the nearest whole number (the "up" is important - something like 1.2 would become 2, even though its closer to 1), increase the level of injury by that many steps.

GW's =I= articles

Rajan

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on March 25, 2011, 11:07:42 AM
Quote from: Rajan on March 25, 2011, 10:30:50 AMAhhh ok so It's more simple, I must check for every damage the kind of wound?
No. The scale is a progression.

Think of it as 0 (unhurt), 1 (light), 2 (Heavy), 3 (serious), 4 (Acute), 5 (Crippled) if it helps.
Damage of up to the BIV adds one level of injury.
Damage over 1 BIV, and up to 2 adds two levels of injury.
And so on and so forth.

So, in your example, Damage of 14 would cause a Heavy wound, but then the second damage of 7 would add an extra injury level, taking it up to Acute.

Basically, divide the Damage by the BIV, round up to the nearest whole number (the "up" is important - something like 1.2 would become 2, even though its closer to 1), increase the level of injury by that many steps.
ok.. another example:
BIV 6:
First shoot (always on same location): 5 -> Light wound and TIV 5.
Second shoot: 7 -> Serious Wound and TIV 12. : Because Light +2 (7/6 UP : 2) -> Serious.

:)

Dolnikan

Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Rajan on March 25, 2011, 11:19:19 AMok.. another example
That sounds right. It's pretty odd to read in the first place, and I'm not sure there are many, if any, other injury systems like it.

But it's fairly easy once you get used to it, and a lot less paperwork than having to keep separate injury totals for each location.

GW's =I= articles

mcjomar

That clears it up for me too (I've just started running a small campaign for a friend - i'm completely winging it).

I always thought you had to do -

lower than BIV does damage but doesn't increase beyond light.
Above BIV increases level by one.
Double biv by two.
etc.
(mostly to prevent the death by papercut routine on a location).

While all damage keeps tallying up on the injury total.
"Heretics are like cockroaches - annoying to find, and even more annoying to kill." - unattrib.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: mcjomar on March 25, 2011, 06:00:01 PMmostly to prevent the death by papercut routine on a location
While odd, this is more important to the game than you might think.

It stops high toughness characters in chunky armour from resisting all injury (e.g. T70 in Carapace would take 14 damage to do more than BIV + armour, which is nearly impossible with many weapons) and having to be put out of the game on injury total alone.

GW's =I= articles