Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Grand Tournament 2012 - March 31st

Started by Kaled, March 30, 2011, 09:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: Adlan on April 01, 2012, 02:09:05 PM
showed him the 54mm Ravener that my brother had Converted up. That was pretty cool.
i think Mr. Blanche is a pretty awesome guy; was willing to chat and lookit peoples toys :D

also, i dunno if Friendface links work, but here's Olis' Pictures
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

RobSkib

Sounds like it was a really good turnout, I'm disappointed that I couldn't make it! :(

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's photos from the day as well, Gav's are great! Which person owned the Tyranid models there? I have to congratulate him on his choice of colour scheme.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Kaled

Afternoon all,

I've found a spare hour or two to type up the scores, so it's time for a more complete breakdown of the results.  We had ten participants, so a few less than I'd have hoped for, but enough to make it a great event.

I'll break down the scores in each of the four categories first.

Best Player
David Fincher won the Best Player crown, scoring 35.3 out of a possible 40.  He had the highest score in almost every player category, so his win was well deserved.  Adam Durrant took second place with good scores across the board, but distinguished himself with his single-minded pursuit of his objectives - scoring considerably higher in that category than anyone else.  The fight for third place was especially hard fought with less than one point separating Jordan Massey, Stephen Yates and James Carpenter.  James just edged out the other two to take third, mostly due to achieving more of his objectives.

Best GM
The race to be named best GM was also very close, but in the end Nicholas Carpenter took the crown with a total of 35.5 points out of 40.  He scored highest in the categories of Scenario, Fun, and Control, and had a good score for his rules Knowledge as well.  Second in the GM stakes was Gav Fry who was only a couple of points behind Nicholas.  Neil Bass came in third in the race for the Best Gm crown, and was only a fraction of a point behind Gav.

The numbers meant that in the final round we needed two people to GM for a second time.  Richand Lamb and Stephen Yates were good enough to volunteer and I'm happy to say that this decision paid off for both of them as they both improved their scores from their first game and each jumped a place or two in the GM rankings, (which was enough to push Richard up into fourth place).

Painting & Modelling
David Fincher's much admired female Rogue Trader was a clear winner in the Painting & Modelling round, scoring 8.6 out of a possible 10.  Second place went to Nicholas Carpenter and third to Jason Rowlands.

Unfortunately I didn't have a camera so don't have pictures of all the entries and don't know if anyone else took any.  If people could post links to their entries I would very much appreciate it.

The Inquisition
No one managed a full score for 'The Inquisition' tiebreaker, however David Fincher came close with 21.5 out of a possible 25.  Adam Durrant got the sceond highest score with 18, and Neil Bass came third with 14.

Total Scores
Overall, after his wins for Best Player and Painting & Modelling it was no surprise that David 'MarcoSkoll' Fincher came top of the table with 73.9 points out of a possible 90.  Looks like he'll be the man to beat next year.

Nicholas Carpenter win for Best GM helped carry him into second place with a total of 70.2 points.

Greenstuff Gav won a well deserved third place with 68.4 points in total.

The rest of the leaderboard was as follows;
4 = Neil Bass
5 = Adam Durrant
6 = James Carpenter
7 = Stephen Yates
8 = Richard Lamb
9 = Jordan Massey
10 = Jason Rowlands

It seemed like everyone had a lot of fun on the day - I know I did.  Much as I enjoyed yesterday though, I am looking to name a successor - I think I have found a volunteer, so hopefully that'll be confirmed in the next day or two.  I'm looking forwards to entering the tournament again to have the chance to face off against some of our newer entrants.

As I mentioned before, if you want to know how your scores compared to the average, send me a PM and I'll let you have a breakdown of your results (please include your real name as despite having name badges, I'm still not 100% certain I can match everyone's username to their real name and I'd hate to make a mistake and send someone the wrong scores).

Be seeing you,
Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Olis

I had a great time, myself, even if I did come last.  ;D

I must say I was dissapointed I didn't recognise John bloody Blanche, though. :(
I blame Gav for the dice hating me.

Kaled

Excellent - glad to hear you had fun.  I think for next year someone needs to make an Inquisitorial wooden spoon for the person who comes last.

I can't access the link to your pictures on Friendface - maybe a permissions thing?  Or perhaps you could put them on Photobucket or similar?

Of and despite meeting you for real yesterday, I still feel that I should say...
Welcome to the Conclave!

- Dave

Olis

Thankyou for the welcome. The pictures on FB are in our group's album but the group is a 'Closed Group' atm. I might change that to an Open Group setting for a while, I think, see if that helps. :)

Edit - I've just noticed I came third for painting. That's actually a surprise. ;D

greenstuff_gav

Or pop em onna memorystick and ill upload  :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Olis

Stormgrad

It was said at the time but again I'd Like to thank Kaled for his excellent organisation and hosting the event.

The games i ran where fun and enjoyable to GM and despite it being the same scenario both games turned out very different with one being very combat heavy toward the end and the other being all about co-operation against a mutual foe (The Mad Tech priest Forenz Talor)

The Games i played in where both lots of fun i performed better in my second game despite not being able to complete my objective (if i was just able to read that one guys mind) and Neil and Nicholas thank you both for running them both games where tremendous fun even if i only managed to stun, grenade and mentally assault my own characters in the first game :P

Thank you to Steve, Jayson, James, Dave, David and Jordan as you where great fun to compete against and GM for during the games i was involved in and thank you all for bringing such excellent models to the table

Ok so i took a few pictures

MarcoSkoll

First things first, my pictures from the day: http://s772.photobucket.com/albums/yy3/MarcoSkoll/Inquisitor%20Events/IGT%202012/

Quote from: Kaled on April 01, 2012, 09:05:38 AMYour GM score was mid table Marco
Darn. Needs more Titan.

QuoteAs Marco says, John Blanche turned up for a chat - he was coming in to do some work, but knew the IGT was on so came to have a look. He clearly pays some attention to the 'Clave because one thing we discussed was my criticism of the 'Emperor's Will' artbook.
Yeah, it only occurred to me afterwards that he'd asked after "Kaled" and not "Dave", which is what made me realise he must have been reading the forums (I doubt you booked the event as Kaled) and was actually expecting us to be there.
It would appear that many of us did not expect him though, given that I've now heard about five stories that go along the lines of "Hello... wait, you're John Blanche".

On the note of JB, while I know you had those criticisms of it, it's likely a chunk of my winnings will go towards acquiring The Emperor's Will. For someone like me who tends to work from scratch anyway, a big reference tome will go further than spending the vouchers on plastic, metal or resin.

But that said, I think I might put the rest on a box of Fenrisian Wolves as Inquisitor scale canids and a Lelith Hesperax - not for Inquisitor, just for display.
(Yes, this is 50p over budget, but I'll justify that as one of the huge number of coins a vending machine vomited up at me at Milton Keynes Central on my way home).

QuoteAs always I'd like feedback on the event itself and what did and didn't work. Personally I thought pre-ordering lunch and eating after game 1 was a huge improvement over previous years. And having the P&M competition straight after lunch and scored by the participants worked well.
I think that it all worked well. An earlier lunch is good as people probably eat their brekkie pretty early in the morning, and it'll help us miss the queues in future (even if WHW wasn't that busy yesterday, possibly due to fuel worries and the FW day today)

I think the P&M worked out well too, as I think it gives more reward to the modelling side of things than having the relatively Inquisitor-illiterate store staff who don't really know the model range and its limits. Mind you, I may be biased as the person who went from middling scores to the top of the pack.

QuoteMarco and I also discussed how we might run an event across both 54mm and 28mm and still get sufficient mixing of the two halves of the community. As well as people having the option of bringing warbands at one or both scales...
Yeah, I really didn't get the criticism that came up on the forums when we suggested this - the one that being able to bring warbands at both scales was tantamount to suggesting that 54mm was the better scale.

We've seen many more 54mm players decide to also take up 28mm than vice versa, and I think that trend would continue if mono-scale players decided they were going to go dual-scale for the event. So I do think the decision would benefit the 28mm side of things far more than the 54mm.
But to be entirely frank, there's not much point in a dual-scale event if players only bring one or the other. It might as well be two separate events for how much it'll limit interactions.

As for getting players to GM at the other scale, we brought up the success of my requesting Chaos Cultists at the Autumn Conclave. If we get people to bring along models that'll serve as NPC goons and maybe the odd important head honcho, as well as a fairly few generic objectives (although these are often reasonably scale independent), then GMs should be able to cover the needs of most scenarios, even if they've not got a collection in that scale themselves.

QuoteNo one managed a full score for 'The Inquisition' tiebreaker, however David Fincher came close with 21.5 out of a possible 25
Yeah, I think one of the answers I found in the word search was given to the wrong question.

Quote from: Mordenkenain on April 01, 2012, 01:33:19 PMmost often it was more 'my organisation is more important than your organisation' than 'my enormous weapon is more damaging than your enormous weapon'
Actually, given how effective the persuasion and threats turned out to be at times, I am left wondering if perhaps we need to add a few more modifiers to threats that aren't well backed up.
Violence alone wouldn't hugely faze a lot of characters, and telling an Inquisitor you're an Inquisitor isn't going to be that intimidating.

I put a quite big modifier on Karandas for his "Surrender to the Inquisition or else" threat, as I think  the Inquisition's reputation would make many people would prefer "else".

~~~~~

Also, for those who would like to know (Kaled may have to correct me if I'm wrong), I think these are the right names, usernames and numbers:

#1: Richard Lamb (Stormgrad)
#2: David Fincher (MarcoSkoll)
#3: Adam Durrant (Adlan)
#4: Neil Bass (Karandras_sh)
#5: Jordan Massey (Mordenkenain)
#6: Stephen Yates (Cortez)
#7: James Carpenter (Myriad)
#8: Nicholas Carpenter (Holiad)
#9: Jason Rowlands (Olis)
#10: Gavin Fry (Greenstuff_Gav)
#11: Dave Knowles (Kaled)

And this should be the play order:

Game 1: 1,6,7 - 2,4,5,8 - 3,9,10,11
Game 2: 1,4,7,9 - 2,3,6 - 5,8,10
Game 3: 1,6,8 - 2,4,9,10 - 5,3,7
Game 4: 1,2,5,11 - 3,4,7,10 - 6,8,9
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Myriad

Dear god, I'm a disembodied beard  :).

By my count, we lost at least two people due to illness and a few others due to bad luck.  If was great fun, with an interesting set of scenarios and a painting and modelling standard I found hard to mark down.  Thanks to everyone for putting the effort into making it a funday.  Loving the reports.

I clearly need to do a bit more planning next year - some slightly more comprehensive notes would certainly have helped my scenario, and while being fun, my warband did struggle to take (mesmerised) NPCs out of action on a couple of occasions.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Dolnikan

This really makes me consider moving to be able to attend such events in the future, it sounds like you had a great time.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Kaled

@Marco - don't get me wrong, The Emperor's Will contains a lot of really great artwork and, if you don't have other artbooks, then it's very good value. It's a nice hardback tome too. I'm looking forwards to seeing you turn some of the art into miniatures.

Playing this weekend and seeing other people's projects has really tempted me to abandon the Malifaux neverborn crew and Fairy Meat models I'm working on at the moment and do some Inquisitor stuff - it's been a while...

Kaled

Quote from: Stormgrad on April 01, 2012, 06:52:08 PM
and the other being all about co-operation against a mutual foe (The Mad Tech priest Forenz Talor)
...and his crate of minions!  ;D

Unintentional comedy maybe, but it has given me a rather cool idea for a character...

Adlan

Quote from: RobSkib on April 01, 2012, 04:10:24 PMWhich person owned the Tyranid models there? I have to congratulate him on his choice of colour scheme.

Credit for the Scheme goes to my brother Kered, who converted and painted the rippers, and did all the conversion work on the ravener.