Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Grand Tournament 2012 - March 31st

Started by Kaled, March 30, 2011, 09:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keravin

But that'll be after the Inq 28 decision?

Next year you may want to think about Inq 28 a bit more prior to help build the interest.

Kaled

Quote from: Keravin on January 11, 2012, 07:00:19 PM
But that'll be after the Inq 28 decision?
The pack for the IGT should go up this weekend.  If I get enough support for an Inq28 event on the same day then the pack for that will probably go up the weekend after.

QuoteNext year you may want to think about Inq 28 a bit more prior to help build the interest.
I had hoped that three months notice would be more than enough - especially as there are so many people who already have 28mm warbands.  However if you have any suggestions about what should be done differently to entice more Inq28 players for a future event (perhaps one run across both scales) then I (and anyone who is planning such an event) would be happy to hear them.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Keravin

I'm going to try and phrase it politely (and apologies if it comes across as harsh).

1) Actually advertising it.   So far it's posted here in amongst a topic rather than raised to any attention separately and I've flagged it at Ammobunker.   That's why I asked the question about the poster etc.   Where is that likely to go up and be followed up?   

2) This place still treats Inq 28 to an extent as the embarrassing stepchild.  Now I know there are moves to try and bridge that, but I think what the Inq 28 community is very much trying to do is show that it isn't just plunk down a 40k model and play that.   Probably take a long time and it's moved way more recently than it has for a long long time.

3) The running across both scales or turn up with Inq 54 and the same band in Inq 28.  Again I understand the reasons behind, but going back to point 2 it could be read as well really Inq 54 is the game you should be playing.   That's not the thought behind it, but bearing in mind where Inq 28 was until very recently (and indeed some topics about the subject within the last 6 months for example) and you can see why it might not be instantly welcoming.

We'll probably be in a much stronger position post the Inqvitiational anyway as that's likely to get interest once we start posting pictures and showing off from that.    Much like the Conclave's activities fuel interest, especially showing off games in progress, the work of the community etc. I figure the Inqvitiational should do that for Inq28.   Plus those players who aren't already part of the Conclave community will have met each other which will help build community there.

Kaled

Quote from: Keravin on January 11, 2012, 07:45:19 PM
1) Actually advertising it.   So far it's posted here in amongst a topic rather than raised to any attention separately and I've flagged it at Ammobunker.   That's why I asked the question about the poster etc.   Where is that likely to go up and be followed up?
The reason a 28mm event hasn't been advertised is that so far there isn't one.  At this point I'm just looking to see what interest there is for a 28mm event on the same day as the IGT.  If there is interest then I'll put together a campaign pack, poster etc and advertise it properly to round up more players.  I'm happy to take suggestions as to whether people want it to be a tournament along the same lines as the IGT or a campaign like the Autumn Conclave.

Quote2) This place still treats Inq 28 to an extent as the embarrassing stepchild.  Now I know there are moves to try and bridge that, but I think what the Inq 28 community is very much trying to do is show that it isn't just plunk down a 40k model and play that.   Probably take a long time and it's moved way more recently than it has for a long long time.
I think that probably has been true in the past.  I'm not sure it is the case now, but you and other people feel that it is.  I wonder if it's part of Inquisitor being such an 'open' game - you can play it at different scales, as a skirmish game, as a narrative game or even as an RPG.  There have been advocates of all of these approaches on the Conclave, and there are some discussions that have been going on recently where people seem to play the game in a way that is totally different to how I'd play it.  It's a shame that the discussions on the difference in scale has made some people feel alienated - hopefully that will change as, in my opinion, the Inquisitor community is too small to be so divided.

Quote3) The running across both scales or turn up with Inq 54 and the same band in Inq 28.  Again I understand the reasons behind, but going back to point 2 it could be read as well really Inq 54 is the game you should be playing.   That's not the thought behind it, but bearing in mind where Inq 28 was until very recently (and indeed some topics about the subject within the last 6 months for example) and you can see why it might not be instantly welcoming.
So you feel that by suggesting bringing a 28mm warband, or a 54mm warband and the same warband in 28mm I am suggesting that playing at 54mm is what you should be doing.  Do you have a suggestion about how to bring both sides of the community together?  Would it be better to run two campaigns in parallel on the same day rather than one combined campaign and then let people mix during breaks and lunch?  I'd love to see the Inquisitor community come together and expand, I'm just not sure as to the best way to do it.

Keravin

I appreciate on the feeling out for interest, but as I'm trying to get across so far as far as I can tell the only two places it's mentioned are here and the AB topic.    So I'm not certain who is actually aware it might be a possibility.   I wouldn't have known for example without reading this topic.

I do think the moves in the last 6 months even, particularly with what Molotov's been doing, mean that things are changing.

Potentially I think playing two parallel sides of the same campaign is the way to go.    But having not actually been to an event yet I may well be talking out of my rear. 

If there isn't the interest this time I do think trying from day 1 next time means more chance of people being aware and getting that buy in.   Plus next time it also becomes something that can build on from events that have already happened as well.

Kaled

Quote from: Keravin on January 11, 2012, 08:31:20 PM
I appreciate on the feeling out for interest, but as I'm trying to get across so far as far as I can tell the only two places it's mentioned are here and the AB topic.    So I'm not certain who is actually aware it might be a possibility.   I wouldn't have known for example without reading this topic.
You might be right.  I had thought that here and Ammobunker were the two main places where Inquisitor was discussed - you've already posted about it over there and I can start a separate thread here to solicit interest.  If there is anywhere else that anyone knows of where it would be worth asking then please post a thread on there (or tell me and I will).

QuotePotentially I think playing two parallel sides of the same campaign is the way to go.    But having not actually been to an event yet I may well be talking out of my rear.
My worry about separating the 28mm and 54mm players is that there wouldn't be much mixing of the two groups.  To me it seemed better to suggest that players bring warbands in one or both scales (not necessarily the same characters, but it'd help the campaign if at least their principle PC was the same person) so there would be as much mixing as possible so everyone could get to know each other.

QuoteIf there isn't the interest this time I do think trying from day 1 next time means more chance of people being aware and getting that buy in.   Plus next time it also becomes something that can build on from events that have already happened as well.
So far the pack hasn't been put up for the IGT and the only reason the 54mm players have had any more notice is that the IGT is an existing regular event, so I had thought I was asking about a 28mm event from (pretty much) day one...  I'm sorry if I've made you feel I was doing any different.

Kaled

I've just put the finishing touches to the IGT pack.  As soon as the poster is done (likely to be Saturday) I'll get it uploaded on here and elsewhere.

There are a couple of changes from last year, mostly based on feedback I received last time.  Firstly, so everyone knows who everyone else is, players will need to bring a name badge or else they will be issued with a 'Hello.  My name is...' badge*.  Secondly, lunch will be after Game 1 rather than after Game 2 as in previous years.  We will be able to pre-order our food in the morning and it should be ready for us at midday - this should alleviate the problems around the delays to getting food in Bugmans.  Finally, scoring will be out of 90 with 40 points for playing, 40 for GMing and 10 for painting & modelling.  Last year the WHW staff who judged the P&M point said it was very difficult to score all the models, so this year everyone who enters a model into the P&M round will get 1 point, and top five models will get 10, 8, 6, 4 & 2 points respectively.

Hopefully these changes will make the event run more smoothly and make for a more enjoyable experience for everyone.

- Dave

* That they should write their name, alias and player number on and not '...Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die.'

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Kaled on January 11, 2012, 10:35:51 PMthis year everyone who enters a model into the P&M round will get 1 point, and top five models will get 10, 8, 6, 4 & 2 points respectively.
Hmm. This might be a bit tough on anyone who's tried hard but who just hasn't got the skill to break through into the top third. (I'm investing more effort this year, but I doubt that even at my best I'd place.*)
I know we said the scoring was too weighted towards the best painters last year, but was there really a 9 point difference between the 1st and 6th places?

*While I'm a reasonable modeller, but I suspect there's a strong bias towards painting, given that the WHW staff don't know Josef's arse from Covenant's elbow - which means my scratch-sculpts probably aren't worth that much in the scheme of things.

QuoteThat they should write their name, alias and player number on and not '...Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die.'
If you WILL phrase it like that, someone is going to do it.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 12, 2012, 03:25:05 AM
Hmm. This might be a bit tough on anyone who's tried hard but who just hasn't got the skill to break through into the top third. (I'm investing more effort this year, but I doubt that even at my best I'd place.*)
I know we said the scoring was too weighted towards the best painters last year, but was there really a 9 point difference between the 1st and 6th places?
I don't have the figures in front of me right now, but there was a wide spread of scores for P&M. I did run the scores from last year through the new scoring system to see what difference it would have made and it did switch a few of the placings around (although not the top ones who won because they scored well across all categories). By having less points on offer for P&M, players who had good scores for Playing and GMing moved up the chart a little and ones who scored well for P&M but less well for gaming moved down a little. To me, the rankings based on the new scoring system seemed more 'right', but if it doesn't work it can always be changed again.  However, if there is a concern, I will take a second look...

MarcoSkoll

I don't imagine it's going to make a massive difference to placing, but it does have the problem that it's only rewarding the best painters. And having to decide which way around two very good models will place isn't, particularly if more than one judge is involved, exactly going to be easy either.

That said, I think the method from 2009 might not reward the better painters enough (given there were only 5 points between the very top and bottom painting scores that year).

Hmm. The best I can suggest might be getting three staff (or two staff and yourself) to score out of five, which would make it easier to score (it's easier to decide whether something if you think something's 3 or 4 out of 5 than if it's 6 or 7 out of 10), but still allow a decent range of scores and recognise the effort the less brilliant painters have put in.

Mind you, feel free to ignore me. We all know the scoring isn't the main point of the day.

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on January 12, 2012, 03:25:05 AM
which means my scratch-sculpts probably aren't worth that much in the scheme of things

me too; a new (older)  version of Annika will be in attendance  ;D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Kaled

Given that in every other round participants judge each other, would you prefer the same to be true in the P&M round too? That could be a workable option...

MarcoSkoll

Participant judged, whether partially or wholly, actually sounds like a fairly solid idea.

It would definitely give a bit more weight to the modelling side of things, given their greater familiarity with the 54mm range(s).

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

maybe people place their entry onto the GM table, the GM assigns a number to each, then during that break people can take a look at 'em and are given a scorecard with entry numbers on... they then judge each (except their own) on a scale of 1 > 10 ?
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Kaled

Okay, that's two votes for that idea - I plan to finalise the pack this evening, so will make the decision then. In the meantime, if anyone else has any comments or suggestions, let me know.