Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

sisters of silence....

Started by seaglen, March 30, 2011, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaglen

hello all.
just found this place and am very impressed. love the inquisitor game.
been posting on other tabletop forums for a bit now, and am excited to find a pure inquisitor one available.

quick question regarding the sisters of silence, those freaky blanks with the pariah gene that the emporor utilises and servants and anti-warp tools.....

how do they affect Him??? does he lose his awesome psychic pressence if he is surrounded by these blanks?
is he just too powerful for them to dampen?

any thought would be appreciated....
seaglen.

DapperAnarchist

Well, they're pictured next to each other in the Visions of Heresy, but do they appear in the same room at any point in the HH series itself? Perhaps he communicates via proxies... and yeah, he probably is powerful enough to handle a Pariah. He might be weaker, but still able to twist most psykers inside out with a twitch...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

seaglen

yeah they were my thoughts. ive seen that picture, and he seems fine. however, even magnus was blinded by them at Nikea right?

Dolnikan

I would expect that they would dampen his powers to near nothingness, they are full pariahs after all. If they can totally blind Magnus the Emperor should be affected somehow. He however has more than just his psychic presence, he also has enormous charisma and more physical power.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Dolnikan on March 31, 2011, 10:49:00 AMIf they can totally blind Magnus the Emperor should be affected somehow.
That assumes Magnus was even in the same league as the Emperor. The Primarchs were formidable, but the Emperor's soul was an amalgamation of many thousands of powerful psykers (or shamans, as they were then called).

However good the Primarchs were, they just weren't going to be his equal.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

GAZKUL

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on March 31, 2011, 02:57:57 PM

However good the Primarchs were, they just weren't going to be his equal.

yet one of them managed to trick and technically kill him......
"You do not need to prove that you exist because soon you won't"

Stormgrad

Horus wasnt just a primarch tho he had the backing of the chaos gods so a primarch with a daemons rage

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: GAZKUL on March 31, 2011, 05:05:45 PMyet one of them managed to trick and technically kill him......
Trick... maybe. He did manage to keep his coup from the Emperor, but the second half is less true.

Horus only killed the Emperor because the Emperor didn't want to kill Horus.

The Emperor didn't believe that Horus was irredeemable, so the fight was more from a perspective of "hold Horus off, try and talk him out of it". However, at the point that the Emperor realised that Horus was a lost cause and let loose lethally, it was over in the blink of an eye - the Emperor's psychic blast killing Horus almost instantly, obliterating his soul. And that was when Horus was supported by all the Chaos Gods and at the height of his power!

If the Emperor had just walked in there, looking to kill Horus, then it would've been a royal grade smack-down.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Dolnikan

I meant that Magnus was an incredibly potent psyker, he was after all meant to take the Emperor's place on the golden throne. It stands to reason that a sister of silence would at the very least have some effect on Him. I think that is happens a lot that the Emperor's abilities are overrated, of course he was tremendously powerful but if His abilities made Him as godlike as he is often said to be he would never have required the aid of Horus when he was being choked by an ork, he could simply have blasted it into oblivion.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Ynek

Quote from: Dolnikan on March 31, 2011, 07:18:23 PM
If His abilities made Him as godlike as he is often said to be he would never have required the aid of Horus when he was being choked by an ork, he could simply have blasted it into oblivion.

Meh, it's the same reason why batman sometimes lets Robin 'save' him from thugs or spiders in the bath that he's more than capable of dispatching himself....
He wants to make Robin feel like he matters.

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on March 31, 2011, 05:33:23 PM
However, at the point that the Emperor realised that Horus was a lost cause and let loose lethally, it was over in the blink of an eye - the Emperor's psychic blast killing Horus almost instantly, obliterating his soul. And that was when Horus was supported by all the Chaos Gods and at the height of his power!
At least, that's what history remembers.... Whether it's true, or simply a lie to make the Imperium's populace feel safe(r) from the threat of the Chaos Gods is another matter. EYHBTIAL, after all....

"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

mattausten86

At least, that's what history remembers.... Whether it's true, or simply a lie to make the Imperium's populace feel safe(r) from the threat of the Chaos Gods is another matter. EYHBTIAL, after all....

The majority of the imperium arent even aware of the horus heresy...................

Ynek

Quote from: mattausten86 on April 14, 2011, 06:03:12 PM
The majority of the imperium arent even aware of the horus heresy...................

Oh, I think they are all aware of it in some way, but in the same way that humans are aware of the war in heaven in the modern day. (And I don't mean the C'tan war of ascendancy against the Old ones. I'm talking about the war in which Lucifer refused to bow before man, and rallied 1/3 of God's angels in a rebellion which eventually saw him and his followers cast down out of heaven. Lucifer knew that humans were evil, flawed, murderous and dangerous creatures, and refused to aknowledge them as his superiors. After his banishment from heaven, this resentment became all the more bitter, and he took to collecting the souls of the wicked, mostly to prove a point. Perhaps he believes that if he collects enough of them, he'll be able to convince God of his claims that humanity is dangerous, and be permitted entrance back into Heaven.)

They'd get the stories of the Horus Heresy drilled into their heads from a young age, but they'd just be like stories to them. Stories to underline the strength of the Emperor, and outline the dangers of the ruinous powers. Of course, they probably don't realise that the ruinous powers are real, in much the same way that most modern humans don't really think that Satan is waiting for them in the shadows between 12 midnight and 3am. (Also known as the witching hours.)
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Dolnikan

It really depends on the source, some say that the citizens do know while others say that even the slightest mention of chaos is enough for a death sentence. I think that the average citizen would know nothing about the heresy, and if they know only that the emperor was betrayed by one of his divine sons, almost noone would know about the powers of chaos.

Ulgavitch

QuoteIt really depends on the source, some say that the citizens do know while others say that even the slightest mention of chaos is enough for a death sentence. I think that the average citizen would know nothing about the heresy, and if they know only that the emperor was betrayed by one of his divine sons, almost noone would know about the powers of chaos.

Beg to differ, seriously beg to differ.

The Imperial Cult is based upon the Emperor as divine. The Emperor is divine because he has 'ascended' to the Golden throne. He ascended because he was betrayed, and now watches over all of humanity.

However, the Emperor must be worshiped because he protects. He protects from Chaos, or daemons. I think daemons lusting after the souls of men would make the people cling to him further. After all, the Emperor has to protect, so protects 'your' immortal soul from ... something.   

They might not know any of it was true, but they would still know that something out there is which will get them if they don't worship hard enough. It would be a 'daemon' or 'the devil' or something threatening. So they would know in a general sense.

Nothing specific though. That's saved for the Inquisitions - the lucky fellows ;-)

=][= U

Dolnikan

It seems to me that the knowledge about chaos is seen as dangerous, after all, its harder to worship something if you don't know it exists at all. The imperial cult would talk in vague terms about witchcraft, mutants, xenos and heretics but never anything too close to the truth.
The Emperor is worshipped because He is indeed divine and betrayed by His own son, He however already was divine even before ascending to the golden throne. He protects the immortal souls of His faithfull from eternally drifting in the darkness by welcoming them to His side.