Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

sisters of silence....

Started by seaglen, March 30, 2011, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necris

I'd like to point out that at Nikea the Emperor was pumping out a psychic beacon of pure power (mobile astronomican) to guide his sons to him

Also Magnus has a psychic vision while at Nikea

All in the presence of Sisters of Silence

And onto the faith

The Emperor was the master of mankind he had 20 holy sons but half of those sons were corrupted by chaos and turn on their father, Horus the Emperor's most prized son led these traitors against their father laying siege to holy Terra, the Emperor and Horus battled against one another where the Emperor was mortally wounded before slaying the traitor. In the Emperor's wounded state he was interred into the golden throne where he ascended to guard all of humanity from the threat of chaos.

This is the common knowledge paraphrased of course, people know of chaos it is the evil that threatens everything, people don't know the details but they know the basics which is Chaos bad Emperor good.

This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Kallidor

As already mentioned it depends on the source, with many writers these days making it seem as if everyone knows about Chaos, in a vauge way of nothing else. When you look back at Codex: Chaos where the survivors of the 1st War for Armageddon were sterilsed and shipped off to work camps far away from the hives and the planet was repopulated with colonists who never saw or heard about the surviving population or about the war.

Not knowing about Chaos at all is better I would say, if everyone knows it makes it common and boring, having it as a secret lovecraftian nightmare makes it much more lethal and dangerous. With everyone knwoing about it it makes Chaos Cultists seem like your average aetheist emo. *yawn*...
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Ynek

Quote from: Kallidor on May 06, 2011, 05:55:15 PM
Not knowing about Chaos at all is better I would say, if everyone knows it makes it common and boring, having it as a secret lovecraftian nightmare makes it much more lethal and dangerous. With everyone knwoing about it it makes Chaos Cultists seem like your average aetheist emo. *yawn*...

I always preferred the idea that Chaos is known about, but in a fairly diluted and inaccurate way. That way, their appearance on the streets of planet X is more of a "holy crap. The dark minions of chaos are real? I thought it was just something that the priests told us to keep us in line!" moment, or more likely a moment where what they see is so far-flung from the Ecclesiarchy's cautionary tales and warnings that the citizens never even make the connection.

But let's face it. Chaos isn't exactly subtle in it's machinations. From screaming, frothing-mouthed mutant berzerkers that want to make as big a mess out of your corpse as possible to minions who spread filth and vileness wherever they walk. It's not as if you can keep such things a complete secret very easily. In fact, trying to hide and deny the existence of chaos cultists, chaos marines and chaos daemons entirely would probably divert a disproportionate amount of resources that should really be spent fighting them. (Oh no! It's a khorne berzerker! Quick! someone throw a blanket over it so that nobody sees! Then play really loud music so nobody hears! Then launch a massive propaganda campaign to deny it was ever here! Then with whatever resources are left, we'll try to kill it.)

For the "nobody knows they exist" type villains, the necrons and the C'tan fit the bill a lot better. In fact, prior to the release of the current (and apparently, soon to be replaced,) necron codex, the Imperium's only official evidence of the Necron's existence was something like two frames of vid-footage taken from a security servitor that was recovered from a sororitas convent which was purged by the 'crons.

Not to mention that the information in the Necron codex is much more than the Imperium actually knows about them. Things like the War In Heaven, the Great Betrayal etc. are stories that even the Eldar only have a very crude and comparatively inaccurate understanding of.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

DapperAnarchist

The biggest nasties would resemble Lucifer in the beliefs of the Church Militant - an eternal and everpresent threat to life and liberty. So most people would know of the names Abbadon, Horus, Kharn, etc, though many not of their origins. The exact origins of the Chaos Marines might be covered up, claiming that they are fakes in some way. However, the Daemons (Skarbrand, The Changeling, etc, and the minor Daemons) would be considered secret knowledge, much like the Ars Goetica were, as they are, at least in theory, open to the appeals of normal humans. No renegade governor would be able to control or summon Abbadon, Kharn, or Arhiman, but they could control a minor Daemon, or summon a major one. The purge of Armageddon wasn't necessarily to prevent the spread of knowledge, but of Chaotic corruption. 

Least that's my position.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!