Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Marius Dire and his entourage

Started by psycho, August 27, 2009, 08:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psycho

ok so firstly heres my Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor

Inquisitor Marius Dire
Witch Finder General
Ordo Hereticus

Ws Bs S  T     I  Wp Sg Nv Ld Speed
78 84 80 64 72 86  87 89 90   5

Weapons:
Bolt Pistol with 5 Inferno Shells,  Reload and Laser Sight. Power Fist

Equipment:
Power Armour inscribed with Hexagrammic Wards on All Locations except Head. Advanced Bionic Left Eye.

Abilities:
Deadeye Shot, Hurl Opponent, Leader and Word of The Emperor.
Right Handed.

Background:
Monodominant Inquisitor Marius Dire began his career as an Interrogator in the retinue of Inquisitor Tyrus some 39 Terran years ago. He originates from the
world of Gashul, in the Segmentum Solar, where he was the sole survivor of his town when the Children of The One attacked. The Children are a Cult that
believe in ritual sacrifice and the townsfolk that weren't killed in the attack were taken to the Childrens secret lair and offered to The One in macabre and
violent ways. Marius awoke to find himself lying in a pool of his own blood, blind in one eye and unable to walk properly, but still clutching his fathers
Sabre. Within 12 hours he had recovered enough to walk and he immediatly set out to claim his vengance. Following the trail of blood from the gates of his
town, he managed to discover the secret home of the Children, a feat never achieved by one not of their Cult. He set about himself with righteous fury, his
family Sabre soon slick with the blood of the cultists. He took a score of wounds, each enough to kill a lesser man, but still he persisted, eventually
defeating the leader of the Children by snapping his lower jaw away from his face, before he collapsed atop the mountain of bodies. His tale would have ended
there had Inquisitor Tyrus been hunting the Children himself. Finding the mutilated bodies of the Cultists, he ventured further into the lair, finding Marius
lying unconcious on the body of the leader. Tyrus had his men take Marius back to his ship in orbit, where apothecaries managed to reapair the damage done by
the Children's weapons and fitted him with a highly advanced bionic eye, one that looks exactly the same as a normal eye, although it is milky white at all
times appearing as if Marius is blind. Tyrus saw in Marius a younger version of himself and took him under his watchful gaze to begine his training as an
Inquisitor. For 24 years, Marius and Tyrus were inseperable, the older Inquisitor giving the younger Interrogator his knowledge and in turn receiving loyalty
and an unflinching warrior with which to unleash upon his enemies. Eventually, Tyrus knew that his student was ready to become a Mentor himself and bestowed
upon him the rank of Inquisitor. Marius dissapeared for almost 5 years, where he went nobody really knows, although when he returned he was followed by a
motley band of servants, from Imperial Guardsmen to Priests, Arco Flaggellants to  Clerics. He begun his own crusade upon the most fierce of the Imperium's
enemies, the Witch, matching Tyrus' own bombastic and pious nature. He began by cleansing the Mining World of Heroil, where the Planetary Governor had thrown
himself from the balcony of his Palace, supposedly under the influence of magics most foul. The cleansing lasted 3 months and by the end 10,000 individuals
had been burnt at the stake for heresy. A new ruling elite was appointed by Marius, knowing full well that if they failed he would not hesitate to remove
them. He has been sighted on at least 7 more occasions since then, always at the forefront of a crusade to purge a world of the heretic, the witch and the
unfaithful. He recently took the sinister Interrogator Pergatore as his own student, upon declaring the young mans previous Mentor, Inquisitor Accel, a
Heretic and having him burnt alive. Some say he saw in Pergatore what Tyrus had seen in himself, although many see this as speculous rumour and say that
Marius put Pergatore through the same tests as Accel, and he simply got through as pure and vigilant as Marius himself. Whatever the case, Marius is rarely
seen without his Interrogator by his side, the two purging the enemies of the Imperium as one, unstoppable force. The pair have recently travelled to the
world of Karthan in the Segmentum Tempestus, driven to this by rumours of a Chaotic Cult being in sway of the Governor. Whatever the truth, only time will
tell if Marius will complete his crusade to rid the Universe of the most proficient of the Imperiums enemies.

MarcoSkoll

That's rather funny formatting.

First thing: Don't even THINK of tying your character so closely to a canon character. Just don't.
You can have a character that's close to a canon character - even a near carbon copy with another name, but you should NOT use Tyrus as your Inquisitor's mentor.

Second thing:
QuoteHe took a score of wounds, each enough to kill a lesser man ... before he collapsed atop the mountain of bodies
Totally cliché, and I'm sure that's practically lifted from the background from Artemis that was printed in WD.

Third thing:
The stats are INSANE by 'Clave standards.

WS & BS of ~70 is perhaps normal for a 'Clave Inquisitor. You might see 80 for one if they sacrifice the other. You've got stats of 90 and 84!!! Both levels which would equated to dedicated mastery. The word dedicated implies mutual exclusivity.
Also, his strength is also at "dedicated" levels (Although if that's with the power armour bonus, it's alright) and his mental stats are also very high.

Cutting back pretty much across the board would be appropriate.

Fourth thing:
Lose fearsome. Fearsome should not be applied to "standard humans" except in VERY exceptional circumstances - like having some kind of freaky aura, which wouldn't be entirely likely for an Inquisitor in the Hereticus.

I can accept Hurl Opponent, but don't expect it to be entirely useful. His strength isn't that high.

Fifth thing:
Bolt weapons, power weapons and power armour... Tyrus model, I take it.
Sorry, but it still sounds like you've just opened the armoury and gone "Yes".

I wouldn't normally condone that many reloads for a bolt weapon either. BUT if you show pouches for carrying them on the model, then it's acceptable.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

psycho

ok so dropped fearsome, a reload and some of his WS
he is a tyrus mini with covenants head
in my group im normally against Space Marines so gimme a lil break lol
and as for his background, it was written like 2 years ago so......
erm so what would his stats look like if you wrote em marco?
kerby

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: psycho on August 27, 2009, 09:11:15 PMin my group im normally against Space Marines so gimme a lil break lol
Then you should really explain to your group that Space Marines should be a once in almost never situation.

Quoteand as for his background, it was written like 2 years ago so......
If you know it's not up to scratch, why haven't you updated it?

QuoteSo what would his stats look like if you wrote em marco?
It entirely depends on your group's "power level", so it wouldn't really be right for me to stat him. I can tell you that it's more powerful characters than I play with though.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

1337inquisitor

Quote from: psycho on August 27, 2009, 09:11:15 PM
Read the space marine inquisitor article and see why you don't use space marines every scenario. especially if all the character are balenced because in inquisitor there are no broken characters just characters that are no fun to play against which I like to call the F.O.Es
No honey, the true moral of the story is never put down your weapon.

Homer Simpson

Kaled

Quote from: psycho on August 27, 2009, 09:11:15 PM
That explains why you'd want a character in power armour with bolt and power weapons - it sounds like your games are set on the front-lines of a warzone rather than the shadowy behind-the-scenes battles that most people on here prefer; however it doesn't explain why your character is better at close-combat and shooting than your average marine, it doesn't explain why he's so strong and tough, nor why he's so strong willed, intelligent and brave - the character is exceptional in almost every way - is he really meant to be that good?  Or have you just given him such high stats to attempt to compete with marines at their own game?  Just because you're going up against marines, doesn't mean your character has to be a powerhouse too - you could approach things from a different angle instead.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

psycho

trust me man ive tried explaining to them but noone ever listens
i also use my interrogator character and hes, how can i put this, a LOT less powerful and he always gets his a$$ handed to him so ive begun to use ole marius.
erm havent updated it as i aint had the time, although im now going back and playing a series off games with my dad so as to make his past a little more believable.
(as in hes now going to be an Lawman and not some random geezer who ends up being put into an Old Inquisitors warband and then gets better and better)
erm as for the power armour, bolt pistol and power fist hes supposed to be a witch hunting psychopath so that kinda explains it all i think
kerby

Kaled

Quote from: psycho on August 28, 2009, 04:37:56 PM
i also use my interrogator character and hes, how can i put this, a LOT less powerful and he always gets his a$$ handed to him
So?  If it were me I'd stick with the less powerful team - sure they might get beaten everytime they engage in combat, but why not play a few scenarios where the objective is not simply to kill the other team?  Play games where characters are trying not to get into combat - where they need to sneak around to win, where armour is likely to get in the way, where firing a bolt weapon is likely to detonate the atmosphere.  Once the other players start to see that it's possible to have fun, and even win games, using characters who are not marines, then they'll be more likely to use more 'normal' characters.  While your opponent is busy fighting, get on and achieve your objective and you'll have won, whereas all he'll have done is shown that marines are good at fighting.  Also, if your characters are less powerful, and your opponent's marines beat them, then so what, it's expected - but if your 'weak' characters beat his marines then you'll be able to brag for weeks!
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

1337inquisitor

Quote from: psycho on August 28, 2009, 04:37:56 PMerm as for the power armour, bolt pistol and power fist hes supposed to be a witch hunting psychopath so that kinda explains it all i think
kerby
so by also using that logic does that mean that a space marine can take a frostblade, terminator armour, a conversion field, a multi-melta and two advanced bionic arms just because he really hates herectics? also not only that but a young inquisitor is also going to have trouble getting THAT much firepower. maybe a more veteran inquisitor with good conections?
No honey, the true moral of the story is never put down your weapon.

Homer Simpson

TheNephew

Play more of the classic anti-marine scenarios - a map split by a couple of chasms spanned only by flimsy rope bridges, or with multiple rooms/areas that can only be accessed by small gaps a marine could never fit those ridiculous shoulder pads through.

If you're happy at your power level, then there's no worries, but I'd always find a game at the levels suggested by here preferable to one at rulebook default power levels.

Have a word with your GM to arrange some scenarios that you can win (or at least not lose) in such a way that it is made clear that piling marines on everything is not appropriate.

Ynek

Personally, I come from the school of thought that says that Space Marines are something that should only ever be used once in a blue moon, and only in specially engineered scenarios.

That said, I agree with TheNephew's suggestion. A terrain setup riddled with narrow passageways and flimsy rope-bridges seems like it would work rather nicely to go some way to evening the playing field. Also, a few features like deep, water-filled pits would work quite well (space marines would obviously sink. They wouldn't drown, as their power armour is atmosphere-sealed, but I'm sure they wouldn't be able to swim back out of the pit in any way. Non-marine characters, as they are not so weighed down, would swim across the top.)
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Talon7

I agree that the Space Marines should be rare.

Other ideas for Marine-hostile terrain:  A setup with lots of EMP trip-mines, an environment with an airborne neuro-toxin that directly affects characters with gene-seed, and maybe even a game where all armor values are halved. (or even one where Marines have to fight without their Power Armor)

Ynek

Quote from: Talon7 on August 29, 2009, 03:22:21 AM
A setup with lots of EMP trip-mines,

This suggestion gave me an idea...
You could say that the whole table counts as under the effects of a haywire grenade... Marines would then be weighed down by their armour, most of their high-tech kit, such as power swords etc. would just become heavy lumps of useless metal, and wily gunslingers with revolvers become king.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Inquisitor Cade

Hmm, I see the power level problem. Who is your Gm, try to get him onto the forums. Maybe you could volunteer to GM a game, set clear limits on the power levels of players involved and reward players who play narratively (the character successfully shouts 'halt, who goes there' even though he technically doesn't have enough actions) and punish characters who act as if on a battlefield (the character counts as stunned for a turn as he is wracked with doubt about opening fire unprovoked on another Holy Inquisitor).

Ignoring that for now though:

15 years is an impressively short time to become "Witch Finder General" unless of course it is a self created or popular title rather than an official rank.

I agree with most of what Marco Skoll says but I recon being one of Tyrus ex acolytes is okay unless you are planning to bring him back into the characters life.

Where did he get a set of power armour? This is really legendary equipment so it deserves a mention in the background.

The stats are too good. For an 'average Inquisitor I'd recommend starting with:
Ws . Bs . S . T . I . Wp . Sg . Nv . Ld
65 . 65. 55. 55. 75 . 80 . 75 . 80 . 80
or for more fighty Inquisitor like this one seems to be
Ws . Bs . S . T . I . Wp . Sg . Nv . Ld
70 . 70. 60. 60. 75 . 70 . 65 . 85 . 75
I'd say these stat lines are 'balanced' so if an Inquisitor is especially good at something (say Ws 80) he will probably have some deficiencies (say Bs 65 and Sg 60)
Try also to justify the stats in the character. (e.g. look at my character Cade. His stat line is really good, but it is all justified in the background. His kit is pretty poor though to keep him from upping the power level.)

I suggest you look at the 2nd Wych article (follow Marco Skolls sig) at some of the wych hunting skills and kit. I recommend wych hound.
*Insert token witticism*

psycho

ok so went for a game today
used my less powerful INQ. and i GMd.
the game went well with me GMing, although one player got pi$$ed when his Nurgle Cultist blew himself up (stepped on snare mine, dropped disposeable rocket launcher, rocket launcher then fired into the floor etc etc).
However i learnt that my "gaming buddies" are a$$holes so am now looking for another group.
So hopefully, whilst playing a couple of games using my younger INQ (marius as a younger man and just an Outback Lawman, Complete with Duster and Peacemaker Pistol) i should come up with a background as to how and why he gets the power armour, bionic eye and his legend in the Inquisition.
thanks for all the advice and thanks for all the help guys
kerby