Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Citadel Finecast

Started by Dolnikan, May 20, 2011, 08:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

That does raise new questions about quality control.

A "sorta okay" metal is easy to throw back into the melting pot, but I wonder how many "sorta okay" resin models they'll let through because they can't.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Dionzi

That's a seriously unpleasant thought, Marco....
SKYFALL MINIATURES

DapperAnarchist

It also matches to many people's experience of Forge World. Unless the output is much less mistake prone than FW, GW Finecast is going to be dumping a lot of stuff. And while Forge World are small enough that calling them gets you through to a small company where things can be done, GW is a big international company now...

Though perhaps they have solved that problem, which wouldn't surprise me that much. We may critique some of their model design, and their rule design, and the background they produce, but they do seem to have the most advanced production technology out there...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on May 22, 2011, 12:06:18 PMBut they do seem to have the most advanced production technology out there...
Hardly. They've never done an injection mould with more than two slides (which was the Baneblade, I think). Other companies have done seven, possibly more.

And slide moulds are still a 40 year old technology, with Tamiya having used it in the late 60s - so they're not exactly forging ahead on that one.

They're good, but they're not as cutting edge as they'd like to pretend.

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

aye; pickup any Spartan Games miniature; we do things with resin that put GWs metals to shame...
with some of the more complicated things i've cast, i'm reeling from the prices GW are charging... may grab the cheapest figure to see what quality is like; Forgeworld quality and price is a disgrace.. combined with Marcos' point about metals being melted back down.. for its price resin isn't worth breaking down for reuse (you grind it up and use the powder to bulk up the liquid resin)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

DapperAnarchist

Fair enough - though it wasn't either their resin or their metal production I meant, but what I've been told about their plastics... Their metals seem to be at best ordinary (though benefitting from having people like Goodwin and Diaz around, of course) and the resin, though nicely designed, is infamous for coming broken, missing, bubbly, or twisted.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Dolnikan

Those price increases, are they worldwide or a UK thing?(sorry for going off topic again)

In my limited experience other manufacturers tend to have better casting quality than GW, they just have some very good sculptors and a large model range with a nice universe to play in.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

viper_eX

Quote from: Dolnikan on May 23, 2011, 08:54:18 AM
Those price increases, are they worldwide or a UK thing?(sorry for going off topic again)

In my limited experience other manufacturers tend to have better casting quality than GW, they just have some very good sculptors and a large model range with a nice universe to play in.

worldwide i fear, as they increase in germany as well...
++FLESH IS WEAK++

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

Ferran

Quote from: Inquisitor Octavian Lars on May 23, 2011, 05:13:03 PM
More news!
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=16700019a
might be late.

Dunno where to start here as I have a few things to say and not much inclination to write a long post. I suppose I'll start with saying that I haven't bought any stuff from them for ages and don't intend to.

Metals have always been nicer than plastic for crisp details, despite these advanced techniques that they apparently use when making their plastics (which seem to be getting better but still aren't as good as pewter). Regarding the quoted post and link therein, they're saying that these previously pewter made models, now done it some sort of resin composite, will be even crisper? I'll believe it when I see it I guess.

As for quality control, well their prices will soon be on a par with FW, I suppose they'll aim for the same level of QC too, and presumably even that abysmal standard will be unattainable given the volume of product involved.

MarcoSkoll

The cynical side of me says several things. In approximate order:

- "after all they are the ones that have spent the last few months living and breathing Citadel Finecast". Yeah, I wouldn't have put "breathing" in that sentence, given the reputation of resin.

- No, one of the main reasons you've changed is because Resin is far cheaper than Tin. Detail is just your excuse.

- Hmm, funny they don't put pictures of these new resins alongside the metals they're replacing so we can see this vast leap in detail.

- I'm expecting the stores to not look like that. It's basically the same model as you could've had years ago, it just weighs less and costs more. Most painters won't be able to do the extra detail any justice, and any but the most diaphanous layers of paint mean it'll end up looking the same as the one you bought last week, your wallet will just be an awful lot lighter.

In short, it reads like a load of hype. Prediction: Flash in the pan.

Perhaps a good business decision overall because of the drop in materials costs (although the cost of converting the moulds cannot be trivial, and assuming they haven't pushed the profit/sales balance even further from equilibrium), but as far as it being some suddenly roaring success which every gamer is rushing out to hoard for their collection, I'm not seeing it.

GW's =I= articles

biggreengribbly

But if they say it loudly and often enough, that makes it true, right? That's how this 'marketing' thing works, right?  ;D

precinctomega

Precinct Omega will be sticking to white metal for the foreseeable future.

R.

Dolnikan

It doesn't seem all that highly detailed to me to be honest, not much better than the pewter, and certainly not better than what I have seen from other manufacturers.

QuoteThere are no other miniatures that exist of this quality and manufactured on this scale in the world,
They are one of the biggest manufacturers in the world, making this technically true, there is no company on the wargaming market of GW's size with their level or quality, after all, they are the biggest. Real marketing, not lying but merely hiding behind words.

Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Ulgavitch

Marco:
Quoteyour wallet will just be an awful lot lighter.

And your miniature case ... because that's what's really important, right?

Biggreengribbly:
QuoteThat's how this 'marketing' thing works, right?

Having worked in marketing, depressingly this often proves to be true. However, even the best marketing cannot make an unaffordable (not expensive, unaffordable) product desirable to those that can't afford it. I wonder if we may have passed that boundary with this latest price hike.

In which case ... all the marketing in the world can't help!