Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Citadel Finecast

Started by Dolnikan, May 20, 2011, 08:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulgavitch

I really don't think this is going to work as a marketing strategy.

You can buy a resin 'finecast' set of Vampire Blood Knights for £61, right ... okay, or you can buy an entire Kings of War army for £40.00, over an hundred well cast plastic models, including elites and war-machines.

£61 for five minatures? Really? That's like 2 xbox games, three if you are frugal. That's a truly absurd price. Madness.  

It's so much, I'd balk at paying it and I work for a living!

Ferran

How do you guys feel about this pic and the quote from the GW website (bolded some)

Speaks for itself but reading the Games-workshop article on Failcast is still a bit depressing.

QuoteDan: I can honestly say that this model was one of the nicest figures I have ever painted - it was just so easy to work with. The resin is very easy to clean up and a real joy to paint. Sometimes I can cut corners when I'm painting to try and get a unit done quicker, but I knew I had to spend every spare second I had between Tuesday and today painting it. An interesting thing I did find was when painting the cape. I needed to paint the cape hood, which was behind the head of the hammer. Solution: simply bend the hammer slightly out of place to paint behind it. This material is just pure awesome to work with!

Shannow

It feels,,,,,,un-natural,,,,,,,,
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

viper_eX

since it's so easy to bend, does the colour still hold or does it splinter?
++FLESH IS WEAK++

Gestalt

Don't believe the hype!
"All things have sprung from nothing and are borne forward to infinity."
                                   Blaise Pascal

MarcoSkoll

Well, I actually made excuses to be over at my local yesterday to take a look at the new models.

Peering at several blisters, and generally trying not to break into laughter at the prices (I think they're meant to be a joke), the overall quality was actually fairly impressive - quite a bit better in person than any of the pictures GW has on their site.

And I hate to say it, but they do seem to be an improvement - looking at things like Lelith, the Avatar and the Emperor's Champion (all of which I own in metal, all for different odd reasons*), the casts are very visibly crisper than before. Couple that with the insane talent of some of GW's sculptors, and there are things amongst the range which are up amongst the best commercial models I've ever seen.

*I should finish Lelith. She's still on the modelling table, and was being turned into a 28mm version of my DH Assassin - so basically got forgotten when we went from having a campaign day to VoIP sessions and had no reason for a mini any more. Still, no sense in wasting expensive metal, might as well finish her some time.

Some of the older sculpts didn't hold up as well though, the new material showing up flaws in the sculpt that might not have been previously visible. But it does speak quite a lot about the material that it can reproduce the original greens that accurately.

Quote from: Ferran on May 28, 2011, 11:23:06 PMHow do you guys feel about this pic and the quote from the GW website
I did get my hands on some of the store models, and while I wasn't about to do a serious bend test on them, the material was quite eerily elastic compared to my normal experience of resins.

I have done the "bend the model a bit" thing when painting some of my greens, so it's certainly do-able. I wouldn't recommend it though - there's always a chance you'll get a bad cast or slightly stiffer resin mix that will just snap and leave you with a repair job.

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on May 28, 2011, 07:31:04 PMThe black-shirt wasn't impressed when he asked what I thought about the move to resin and I answered "I make resin models for a living"
I got asked something similar. However, my tact filter was in place, so I didn't respond with some snarky comment about the pricing.

Although, I did still end up correcting one of the other customers when they listed the order of materials costs as Plastic -> Metal -> Resin, but as the staff were within earshot, it came with an (only partially true) addendum that the new prices represented changeover costs too.

I often run into that kind of trouble in GWs, wanting to say all these things which would be fair game on forums, but which I shouldn't be saying in store - either because it's a complaint or a rumour/leak that hasn't yet been confirmed.

~~~~~

And on the notes of rumours, just how many nay-sayers were there when I made a topic telling people that the news was there was a production halt that might be the start of a switch to resin?  ::)

I don't copy over just any old flimsy half rumours from Warseer... I copy across the ones which would most ruin my credibility if they're wrong. :P
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

GAZKUL

I have noticed that with some companies like JMD the sculpt quality is far superior to GW with much less residue and better detail so am not expecting much from Finecast. I'll have a bit of a look but am unlikely to buy any of it mostly due to the fact that i have no money ATM and if i did then Historex have got one or two things.......

I just hope they don't ask me my opinion about them cause i'll probably end up saying something brutally honest about the overpricing compared to the better quality miniatures available elsewhere.
"You do not need to prove that you exist because soon you won't"

Elva

Quote from: Ulgavitch on May 28, 2011, 08:31:24 PM
I really don't think this is going to work as a marketing strategy.

You can buy a resin 'finecast' set of Vampire Blood Knights for £61, right ... okay, or you can buy an entire Kings of War army for £40.00, over an hundred well cast plastic models, including elites and war-machines.

£61 for five minatures? Really? That's like 2 xbox games, three if you are frugal. That's a truly absurd price. Madness.  

It's so much, I'd balk at paying it and I work for a living!

I once thought that bloodknights could not get anymore expensive. I now look back at that time Nostalgically.

Quote from: Shannow on May 28, 2011, 11:26:28 PM
It feels,,,,,,un-natural,,,,,,,,

Picking up a brilliantly painted Empire Captain and having him feel lighter than a Clanrat did not sit well with me either.

I still like the forgeworld models better. After putting together some of my Elysians(which arrived just yesterday in fact) I can say that they are far better then that 'futuristic' 'lighter than air' stuff they're using. GW has more important things to fix than something that isn't broke. *playtesting and better marketing strategies*cough*cough*
"Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition!!"

Swarbie

Not too sure about Finecast. Sure they look good, and might make Inq28 easier (easier to cut through a resin model than a metal one, I'm sure), but the price increase hits the people in Australia and New Zealand pretty bad. $39 for a Skulltaker model? Not a chance, buddy.

GW also appears to be saying that you don't need to wear a mask to work safely with their resin. I hope to the gods they've researched this fully and got it right, because otherwise things could be bad . . .
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Molotov

Quote from: Swarbie on May 30, 2011, 11:17:31 AM
[Finecast] might make Inq28 easier (easier to cut through a resin model than a metal one, I'm sure)

I'm certainly intrigued, but withholding judgement. Despite the facade presented on the GW site, I'd hope that the higher-ups are working on perfecting the process. The prospect of some of the Inquisitorial metals being far, far easier to convert is certainly something I'm really interested in!
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Swarbie

Yeah, so I might finally get somewhere with the physical side to Inquisitor :P
And I saw her body burning,
With it, my world
To dust returning

Dolnikan

I don't know what to think, I will have to see for myself, when I happen to be near a store.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

greenstuff_gav

following SteveBs "review" Here's my pic.
it's strangely flexible, fair few bubbles and some naff mouldlines, but luckily there was the choice of a few.. there are Worse Horror Stories...
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Shannow

That is a horror story and a half! Worrying it got through QC, or rather what QC!?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Ulgavitch

Quotethere are Worse Horror Stories...

Gav, that's a snuff film, and I worry about what will happen if the younger members of the conclave were to see it. They're not as hardened to this stuff as we are. ;-)