Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Citadel Finecast

Started by Dolnikan, May 20, 2011, 08:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necris

Well I'm not impressed

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1190022a

I bought the Empire Captain on saturday and had to return to the store because his hammer was missing after a rather long winded argument with the store manager (one I have already complained about recently to GW HQ) I got a replacement

When I got home and opened said mini I discovered that the arm his hammer was missing the forearm section of his arm (not a big issue to GS to fix it but a big issue as I'd just bought a shiny new fine cast mini and hell I shouldn't have to fix it!)

I took it to another local store and had it swapped but again had to swap the dammed thing while in store because of the number of breakages on the mini (Gun, feathers, hammer)

I got given another mini as a means of apology (Vampire Lord/Lady) which seems to be fine save for the sword appearing to be bent (I haven't as of yet had her out to check this in more detail).

Not to fussed about the amount of flash on the mini but some bits of the captain are very fragile (the knives in his plumage for example) and just seen destined to break off before too long

No I'm not impressed at all.
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

Ancelyn

I can't believe you paid £9.50 for that :o You were mugged. GW are rapidly becoming a company that it is impossible to buy things from. Altogether now..."RIP-OFF".
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Ferran

Many people seem pretty determined to carry on funneling funds to this company.

Necris

I am happy to pay for minis from GW, I have been a fan of their products for over 20 years and will continue to be despite the price increases. They are a company after all and the first and foremost goal of any company is to make money.

I am more concerned with GW's seemingly diminishing customer services and the fact that utter *expletives* can get jobs as managers when I can't

I have also explored other games like confrontation, warmachine, infinity and flames of war and to be honest they are as equally prices for example a warmachine starter set cost me £35 and I got 3 minis for 1 faction so if I wanted another they would be another £35 and then I could have a game, in reflection for £60ish you get a starter game from GW with 2 armies. Likewise I've spent as much on my flames of war army as I did on my last 40K army and I've played with them twice where as I am currently playing in a series of campaigns with my 40K army

Ferran

Aren't you a dentist or something? Or was that VanHelser? Anyway, even given the relatively high amount of spare scratch available to the average dentist I'd still say that GW products aren't value for money. I know that my own dentist buys a lot of, err, marching powder shall we say (since I know the guy that sells it to him) and even given the rather high expense of such a habit I'd still consider it to be a lesser waste of money than GW products. I take your point though about other companies and their equally unreasonable prices, I suppose it's down to perception a lot of the time, eg I recently bought the avatars of war daemon champion for a tenner and though I can't say I thought it was good value I was just about able to convince myself that it was an acceptable price for a very occasional luxury purchase. Most of the time I'm just sticking to using the large pile I've already built up over the years. I wouldn't consider a nicely sculpted but rather light, bendy, flimsy piece of plasticresin to be an acceptable trade for £10 (I think you have to consider each case individually, fair enough if the current GW starter sets are £60 that might be fine but it's irrelevant if I'm buying single miniatures to paint up then shelve).

Macabre

If Gav is right about this new finecast being Biresin then by weight, GW is making roughly 560% profit from the cost of material to retail price on each miniature (assuming of course on the median weight of most GW 28mm single miniatures), even accounting for the cost of labour on production for each (mass produced) miniature and assuming that the production staff are reasonably well paid, GW are still looking at about 450% profit per batch.
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Necris on May 30, 2011, 09:46:57 PMI am happy to pay for minis from GW, I have been a fan of their products for over 20 years and will continue to be despite the price increases. They are a company after all and the first and foremost goal of any company is to make money.
I could know someone for decades and think them my very best friend, but that doesn't mean I'd excuse them stabbing me in the back.
GW has been behaving appallingly towards their customers on all fronts for a long time, and no matter how much I've enjoyed/still enjoy their products the line has to be drawn somewhere - otherwise they'll just get away with it and keep getting away with it.

As I see it, they are now asking me to pay not only an exorbitant quantity of money, but to pay with my dignity and self-respect as well.
At those prices, they're either laughing at me behind my back or they're idiots. And if I choose to buy from people I know must be either charlatans or morons, then I'm just degrading myself.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Shannow

The phrase 'fool me one shame on you, fool me twice shame on me' springs to mind
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Dolnikan

Quote from: greenstuff_gav on May 30, 2011, 03:44:16 PM
following SteveBs "review" Here's my pic.
it's strangely flexible, fair few bubbles and some naff mouldlines, but luckily there was the choice of a few.. there are Worse Horror Stories...

That's a real horror story.

GW is expensive but when one has enough disposable income(or parents who do) it remains easily affordable.
I'm actually happy nowadays that my girlfriend and I have a large pile of models we haven't painted yet. That pile even makes price rises a good thing, finally the pile will shrink.

Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Van Helser

Quote from: Ferran on May 30, 2011, 10:13:44 PM
Aren't you a dentist or something? Or was that VanHelser? Anyway, even given the relatively high amount of spare scratch available to the average dentist I'd still say that GW products aren't value for money.

I'm the one with the scrubs and the sharp tools, and probably a good whack of disposable income for indulging on little resin men.  That said, I haven't bought a 40k figure since 2008 that wasn't for Inquisitor modelling, and won't be for any time soon.  A large part of that is to do with no time to play 40k, but a lot of it is to do with costs.  There is an alarming lack of sense with GW's recent price increases, and if people like me are baulking at the cost of figures, then what chance does the core demographic have with keeping up with the latest releases?  Considering you can pick up a fairly new Xbox 360 game for 20 quid that can give you days of game play, why on earth would you part with hundreds of pounds for a new army that will require months of painting? 

As far as the new material is concerned, I think that there will be an improvement in quality as time goes on.  I think they've rushed the transition and should have started with a couple of popular models, perfected the casting techniques and then moved on to other figures.  I think the main benefit is the lack of weight - no more pinning, which can only be good.  The price increase, while questionable, is entirely in line with what any business will do when releasing something new.  I think we'll all be interested in seeing what happens to GW's share price over the next financial year...

Ruaridh

Necris

As I said Marco the price and minis are not an issue for me

It's the declining quality of customer services, there was once a time when I could phone a troll and spend an hour talking about the hobby but alas all of the trolls have been put down and replaced with sales representatives who care little about the hobbyist save for their card number, I've forgotten the last time when I was asked what I was working on when placing a mail order over the phone.

It's getting the same way in certain stores I visit one such store the aforementioned manager couldn't care less, he's only interested in meeting his sales KPI's, he has few young bloods who's only option is his store for their introductions to the hobby and he only 'suffers' their presence because he has to as one of his KPI's

On the flip side the store I consider my local (which is further away from my house) has an awesome manager he knows kids and can engage with them, he is interested in what each and every customer collects and their plans with each purchase (genuinely) and can remember what people collect, the only time he's ever tried to up sell to me was a alternative to a conversion I was working on. He makes the time for his customers and will even extend his work day to play a game (I've known him keep his store open till 10pm if there was a good game running.)

It is a shame that the latter manager are becoming rarer

Macabre

I echo Tony's sentiments, I was banned from the Coventry store by the former manager, purely because he'd banned all SG games within the store and knew that all I played was Inquisitor and didn't want my influence 'corrupting' (his words) the rookie gamers away from the three core games.
++Believe the lie. Trust no one++

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Quote from: Macabre on May 31, 2011, 11:18:58 PM
I echo Tony's sentiments, I was banned from the Coventry store by the former manager, purely because he'd banned all SG games within the store and knew that all I played was Inquisitor and didn't want my influence 'corrupting' (his words) the rookie gamers away from the three core games.
I know they have every right to do that, but it just seems wrong. People should be allowed to see the SGs as they are, not bas a sub-standard branch of GW.
Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

greenstuff_gav

[MODE=Admin]ok, this is getting way off topic here; back to resin please...[/MODE]
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

Dolnikan

@ VanHelser, you will at least have the skills to fill holes(sorry for the incredibly bad attempt at a joke)

A friend of mine went to a store to get something for his chaos marines, he told me that almost all of their finecast models ha some serious casting probblems beyond the skills of many people to fix.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.