Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Idle contemplations, and a question.

Started by Holiad, August 29, 2009, 09:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holiad

Hi all, just feel like sharing a thought that came up while I was wandering about possible abilities to consider for daemon weapons. One of my thoughts was possibly representing a daemon with particular influence among its kin by requiring other daemonic characters such as daemonhosts, or a character wielding a daemon weapon, to take a WP test, either to attack the bearer themselves, or force their reluctant weapon to do so. Then I considered that for an ability based on reputation rather than psychic dominance LD might be better, since while WP represents individual strength of mind LD is meant as a measure of the ability to influence and dominate those around you.
Therefore, the question, for general consideration-
Is LD or WP a more appropriate stat to use for such an ability, and are their other circumstances where LD should play a bigger role in resisting domination?
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire

Charax

As I've been trying to tell people for years, Leadership represents discipline and self-control as well, the rulebook even spells this out.

That said, Willpower tends to be used for resistence to external influences, so that may be better for your purposes - but I'd be wary of creating an ability that controls the actions of another person's character or equipment - not least of all because it's unsportsmanlike, but also because the bindings on a daemonhost or daemonweapon are designed to stop the thing attacking it's master - and while Daemonweapons can get around that because they're physically being wielded by the character, it'd be a little odd if a bound Daemon Prince couldn't use all his willpower to make the daemonhost it's bound to attack the person controlling it, but another daemonweapon can come along and practically force it to.
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

Holiad

Apologies, seems there's a misunderstanding here. My thought was that other daemonic characters might require a test if they wished to attack the sword with the ability, or its wielder, and on a failed test would refuse, not that it could force them to attack someone else-if I wanted to do that I would simply have the sword confer telepathy psychic powers such as puppet master.  The power would be based on the daemon's reputation rather than on direct control, which is what originally had me thinking LD might be more appropriate, but it also seems there's a decent case for using LD even for opposing direct control, for example the above psychic power-after all a high LD character is suited to giving rather than receiving orders. Generous as it might seem, I'm actually sort of tempted to allow whichever stat is higher-a high LD character and a high WP character would both, if for slightly different reasons, be very hard to force into acting against their will.
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire