Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Marius Dire and his entourage

Started by psycho, August 27, 2009, 08:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 29, 2009, 03:08:37 PM...but I reckon being one of Tyrus' ex-acolytes is okay unless you are planning to bring him back into the character's life.
I still say it's a bad idea.

For one thing, it can very easily conflict with canon, particularly if they choose to expand said canon (unlikely in this case, but still possible). For another, it sounds somewhat tacky.
It also takes a large part out of what you can write and essentially prevents any "mentor" relationships.

In any sense, it's just not the done thing for you to write a large part of the history of a character that isn't yours without permission.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

psycho

yeh ok so im dropping the tyrus thing now and im gonna go with the afore mentioned games to create a background
kerby

Inquisitor Cade

But this isn't a large part of large part of Tyrus' history, it pretty much just says that Tyrus has had an acolyte. If the cannon is ever expanded to name all Tyrus' acolytes ever, say he never had one, then there would be a problem but I think we can say beyond reasonable doubt that thatr won't happen.
*Insert token witticism*

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 29, 2009, 09:02:59 PMBut this isn't a large part of Tyrus' history, it pretty much just says that Tyrus has had an acolyte.
Okay, here's a question. Say someone has (without your permission) written a character that used one of your Inquisitors as a mentor. You've never expressly stated whether this Inquisitor of yours had acolytes.

Would you be happy with this? I wouldn't, so for that reason I wouldn't condone using characters which aren't yours in a manner that you wouldn't be happy for your own to be used, regardless of whether these are canon or non-canon characters.

While I'd have no problem with writing a chance meeting with a "famous Inquisitor" into a character's history, it would have to both be feasible and minor - something the "famous Inquisitor" wouldn't consider particularly noteworthy.
So something like having a brief conversation after some talk the Inquisitor had made, being at the same official event, or falling under their command (although presumably not directly) in some large operation.

~~~~~

One other downside to using a canon character is that you can probably find several other people who have done the same thing. I imagine that if you total all these characters, Tyrus has probably had at minimum, several dozen acolytes.

GW's =I= articles

TheNephew

I'm with Marco on this, simply because I'd view it as infringing on another person's work for no reason.
Interrogator Dire could have served under any of the dozens (hundreds?) of frothing hardline Monodominants out there, with exactly the same result, but with no need to include someone else's established canon.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: TheNephew on August 30, 2009, 01:58:08 PMany of the dozens (hundreds?) of frothing hardline Monodominants out there
To tell the truth, the number is probably in the thousands.

When it came up on the last forum, the conclusion was there were probably approaching half a million Inquisitors across the galaxy, of which about half would be on "Field duty" (The other half would be on research, writing papers, general organisation...)
So, with a couple of hundred thousand Inquisitors total, it's practically a given that hard-line Monodominants number in the thousands themselves.

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

I definately agree that using Tyrus is not the best way to do it, creating a new mentor character would be better.

However, Tyrus was put in the rulebook to be played. I'm against the use of them in the same way that I'm ahainst the use of special characters in 40k, but they are there to be played so I don't think this is as bad as writing another players character into the background.

I suggest that more people play with Tyrus than claim he was their characters master.
*Insert token witticism*