Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Tomas Eleazar, Ordo Hereticus

Started by thegrapeman, August 30, 2009, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegrapeman

Hi guys and gals. It's great to see the Conclave back in action. Have been floating around the boards for maybe 6 months now as a guest, and have only recently set up an account. Below is the info for one of my characters. I use 28mm models, and this guy is the With Hunter guy with the hat and the outstretched sword.

Tomas Eleazar

Eleazar was born on the mining world of Erebus Minor. The bastard son of a Ministorum official, he was swiftly sent to the Schola Progenium facility on Larkum, to commence his education but also for his father to protect his reputation. He was given the name Tomas Eleazar by the Drill Abbotts on Larkum.

Eleazar proved to be a brilliant student and excelled in all aspects of study. Blessed with both a sharp mind and a hardy constitution, he performed admirably in both academic and physical pursuits. He graduated from the Schola with a double first in High Gothic Studies and Imperial Theology. He was seconded by all but one of his tutors* to various Imperial organisations including the Adeptus Ministorum and the Inquisition. However, Eleazar entered the Commissariat, where his unshakeable faith and stubbornness proved desirable qualities.

As Commissar Eleazar he was sent to Ashal oversee the raising of the Ashal 201st. He served with the 201st for a period of 10 years with distinction, having been awarded the Macharian Cross after successfully planning and executing the siege of the traitor-held stronghold on Jurn after even the famed 4th Company of the Imperial Fists Space Marines Chapter had failed in their attempt (cross ref: Inquisitor Bysik's report on the siege, who recommended him for the Macharian Cross [attached]).

Bysik was so impressed with Eleazar's actions that he took him on as his apprentice. The two travelled the galaxy scouring it of witchcraft, heresy and treason. Within 20 years Eleazar had attained full Inquisitorial status. He has followed his master in the ways of the Ordo Hereticus and has so far not faltered in his service both the Emperor and the Imperium.

Eleazar's Schola training and his time with the practically-minded Bysik has lent him to be a capable, although by no means exceptional, warrior. However, his brief time spent in the Commissariat has meant that his faith knows no bounds and his will remains as unfathomable as ever.

His inferno pistol was a gift from the Mistress of the Order of the Blooded Thorn, based on Severin III. He sees the weapon as the physical representation of the Emperor's divine judgment, and thus does not ever use the weapon except for the execution of heretics found guilty on trial.

Inquisitor Tomas Eleazar, Ordo Hereticus

Note: I am using Marco's revised armoury for this guy, which I think is brilliant.

WS:67   BS:56   S:54   T:55   I:63   WP:78   SG:61   NV:72   LD:69

Weapons: Sword, knife, 3 throwing knives, pump action shotgun (6 solid slugs), 12 additional solid slugs, inferno pistol, 1 frag grenade

Armour: Carapace armour (chest, abdomen, groin), AV1 everywhere else except head

Skills: Heroic (I usually use very few skills, but commonly give Heroic to warband leaders)

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,

The Grape Man

Inquisitor Cade

QuoteHe was seconded by all but one of his tutors* to various Imperial organisations including the Adeptus Ministorum and the Inquisition.

Do you mean recommended rather then seconded, I think seconded means assigned to/conscripted. I wouldn't include the inqusition in that list as normally acolytes taken from scolas are chosen by visiting Inquisitors, and if that happened he probably wouldn't have a choice. Also, what does the asterisk lead to?

Quotetook him on as his apprentice.

The convensional term is acolyte, or more specifically interrogator, though there are other roles an acolyte can have. Look at the judicious remit article (follow Marco Skoll's sig) to see some of them.

QuoteHis inferno pistol was a gift from the Mistress of the Order of the Blooded Thorn, based on Severin III. He sees the weapon as the physical representation of the Emperor's divine judgment, and thus does not ever use the weapon except for the execution of heretics found guilty on trial.

Really? The inferno pistol is a legendary weapon but he only uses it against incapacitated prisoners? Although I don't think that the ammo would be so rare (as it is loaded with the same gasses and fuels as other melta weapons, it seems foolish not to use it in 'field executions' (combat) if it would be more appropriate that the shotgun e.g. Chaos space marines and other opponants with high T and/or high Av. Maybe you could say he doesn't use it against say, an Inquisitor or other opponant that he is having a violent dissagrement with, but who he doesn't think is a full blown heretic.

QuoteWS:67   BS:56   S:54   T:55   I:63   WP:78   SG:61   NV:72   LD:69

In my oppinion you've underdone the stats, assuming that he is only a recent Inquisitor so the background is 'up to date' so to speak. I'd expect a background in the Scola, training as an acolyte and a 'hardy constitution' would give him a Ws/Bs in excess of 65, esspecially as he was 'a brilliant student and excelled in all aspects of study...[and] performed admirably in both academic and physical pursuits.' So I'd suggest increacind Ws and Ws by about 10 points between them. Similarly, Scola training, acolyte training and his ability in physical exersise
would suggest to me S and T in the 60's, so I'd give them about 10 more each.

Mentally he is quite slow. Most Inquisitors have Speed 5, so initiative of at least 70. I recon Sg of about 75 and Wp, Nv and Ld of about 80 are fairly standard within the ranks of the Inquisition, so I'd increase them all by 10 too.

QuoteWeapons: Sword, knife, 3 throwing knives, pump action shotgun (6 solid slugs), 12 additional solid slugs, inferno pistol, 1 frag grenade

Why a sword? An inquisitor could get his hands on a power weapon if he wanted one, and if not a chain weapon would be just as easily obtained. I'd convert it to a chainsword personally, as they are under used in Inquisitor. He only has a basic shotgun and basic ammunition, why not have some fun with a dual magazine pump or semi automatic, and some more interesting ammo? As I said above I wouldn't have thought that inferno pistol reloads would be any rarer than other melta weapon reloads so I'd give him one or two, three shots is hardly worth it.

QuoteArmour: Carapace armour (chest, abdomen, groin), AV1 everywhere else except head

No issues here, but what model is it, can you link a picture? Is it the one here?
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300164&prodId=prod1110092
If so the carapace armour is only on the chest, though I'd upgrade the rest to 2 or 3 points of armour.

QuoteSkills: Heroic (I usually use very few skills, but commonly give Heroic to warband leaders)

Hmm, I wouldn't. I'd give him leader instead and only give heroic to characters who would never chose a course of action because it is safe, and regularly risks themselves to achieve their objectives. Maybe find another skill that would fit. Maybe you could represent his scola training with a shooting and a combat skill, like first strike and rock steady aim. In that case I'd say the Ws/Bs increase was unnecessary. Or else how about word of the emperor, seems appropriate for an ex-commissar.
*Insert token witticism*

TheNephew

Well, I hope this doesn't come across too contrary, but...
I disagree with very nearly all Cade's recommendations.

Commissar wouldn't be all that heavily involved in the planning of the siege, and would only be involved in the attack attached to his regiment.
Unlikely that the Marines would have failed - they may have considered it too costly in Marine lives - let the grunts do it.
20 years to attain full Inquisitorship is fast, I think, but not necessarily a problem.
"Capable but by no means exceptional warrior" - good line, and makes the statline particularly appropriate.
Heroic may be appropriate, but this may be a circumstance where another is better suited. Perhaps a Word of the Emperor sub-type, to represent his unshakable faith, or something else appropriate for his stubbornness.
As a gift to bring the Emperor's judgment upon heretics, it seems perfectly appropriate that Eleazar would only use the inferno pistol for executions (and, presumably, as a last resort weapon).
I think the physical stats are fine - he's at the level of a reasonably 'ard man, knows what he's doing with a blade and gun, but isn't unusually excellent in any particular area.
The mental stats I do agree with Cade on, however, though for different reasons.
To be recommended as a Commissar, he would need high Wp (maybe fine as it is), Ld (add d10 to it, probably) and maybe Nv (probably fine as well).
He's not very sharp minded, especially if he graduated with such excellent 'grades' - to excel at his studies and be selected as an acolyte, he'd need to be a fair bit smarter than he looks now - I'd agree with Cade that something in the region of 10-15 point up would be appropriate. If you'd prefer to keep his Sg as it is now, just throw in a sentence about how incredibly thorough and studious he is - he makes his progress by effort and long hours, rather than stunning intellect.
The equipment is fine, I think. The sword could be his graduation blade upon becoming a full Commissar, which he keeps around because it works - he doesn't need a fancy sword, certainly not just because he has access to them. Also, this could be sentimental value, and a sword he's used to and good with - knows it's weight, balance etc.
I would recommend you look at Marco Skoll's Armoury thread, and see if any of the extras for the shotgun interest you, but only because they're fun - there's no requirement for an Inquisitor to be carrying stacks of cool junk.
As an execution weapon, there's no need for reloads on the inferno pistol - he's not blasting away with it, this is for single death shots.

In summary - if this fits your group's power level, and he holds his own in a standard game's combat situation, there's no problem with him except maybe he's a little thick.

thegrapeman

Cool. Thanks for the replies guys. I wanted to get the idea across that he was a capable warrior, but not overly powerful. The inferno pistol is indeed only there for executions.

I went with the sword to indicate his Commissar background, and because I feel that power weapons are not in common usage. As was mentioned earlier, the sword is a practical weapon and Eleazar doesn't need anything stronger than that.

As to the mental stats: stats on this forum tend to be low (at least in comparison to those in the rulebook) so I was unsure what was appropriate. Will update the stats.

Should be posting up his buddy soon. I had the idea of an old priest that taught at the Schola where Eleazar went and provides wise counsel and sound theological advice to Eleazar in the field. Not too shabby in a brawl either.

Thanks guys - appreciate the comments.

The Grape Man

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Inquisitor Cade on August 30, 2009, 12:32:45 PMThe inferno pistol is a legendary weapon...
It's not currently Legendary within my rules. The problem is, I do want them rarer than Exotic, but not so much that it's Legendary. I may need to do some shuffling, or think of a new rarity.

Anyway, to back up your point, melta weapons wouldn't be too pressed to find ammunition. Melta technology is available the galaxy over (Melta cutters, etc...), it's simply rare for it to be in the form of a weapon.

It's not really a "Execution" weapon though. It's complete and utter overkill for that task, being capable of wrecking heavily armoured tanks - in a scheduled execution, a Laspistol would do the job without breaking a sweat (...and the Inferno pistol would vaporise the heretic's head, then go on to redecorate the execution platform)
If it's only for executions (odd choice), then my guess is they wouldn't carry it at other times, so there's not much point in listing it on the character's equipment. Mention of it in the background would be better.

To give an example, much like Inquisitor Skoll's hunting rifle (a much treasured 12th birthday present made by his father), something in his background, but which he doesn't normally carry. As such, it's not on his standard profile - but when there's a reason he might be carrying it, it gets added to his equipment. (Given his father was a master gunsmith, and the rifle in question is one of the best examples of his work, it's actually represented by the Sniper Rifle profile.)

QuoteHe only has a basic shotgun and basic ammunition, why not have some fun with a dual magazine pump or semi automatic, and some more interesting ammo?
There does seem to be a lot of use of the Pump Action. Not inexplicable, but it'd be nice to sometimes see the other varieties used.

Either way, it's always nice to hear that my work is going down well.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Cade

At the moment he is a capable warrior, but not by the standards of the inquisition.

Which model are you using?
*Insert token witticism*

Myriad

"At the moment he is a capable warrior, but not by the standards of the inquisition."

This does raise the question, are all inquisitors especially accomplished warriors in their own right?  They have to be dangerous, but anyone with an inferno pistol fits the bill there.  Although the game emphasises the combat side, it seems to me that much of an inquisitors work would not directly involve combat.  Given that they would call in a strike team for any heavy duty combat, it seems plausible for an inquisitor to have a relatively modest stat line.

I agree, though, that never using the inferno pistol in combat seems unlikely.  Inquisitors need a practical streak.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Inquisitor Cade

While there are sure to be Inquisitors who haven't personally fought in years, this guy is scola trained, spent time as a comissar and then had further practical training under Inquisitor Bysik, so I would expect him to be competent by the standards of Inquisitors.
*Insert token witticism*