Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

New discipline - Cryomancy

Started by Corrino, June 20, 2011, 05:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corrino

Hey Gents,

I have been pondering about adding a psyker to my warband, and would like to go for a white witch feel to the character. And so though the most appropriate psychic powers should be chill and ice based.

So this is an open discussion about a possible new discipline of powers cyromancy;

So far together we have got;

Blood Freeze - Difficulty 1/2 targets toughness

The psyker reaches out into a target and begins to freeze the workings of their body. Congealing and freezing blood or any other fluids. In addition causing cold burn damage to internal organs and tissue. In the most severe of cases resulting in the target completely frozen on the inside, with an eery blue tinged life likness left to the skin. This is a ranged ability that has a range of 20 yards and requires line of sight to the victim. The taget is stunned for a turn for each 30% or part of the test was pased by, aswell as one level of damage to the legs, arms and chest for each 20% or part of the test was passed by.

Armour and force fields offer no protection.

Chill Aura - Difficulty 10%.

The Psyker begins to freeze the air around the target, causing all moisture in the air to freeze creating a film of ice over the taget and making movement sluggish and causing freeze burn. This is a ranged power that requires line of sight. And can also be persistent should the caster follow the rules for aiming at a target. The target is at minus 1 speed for the rest of this turn and next turn, or until the psyker stop casting the power, should it be used as a persistent power. In addition the target adds D3 points of damage to their injury total. Should the power be used as persistent the following turn the target instead suffers 2D3 points of damage to their total, turn after that 3D3 and so on. Speed is only ever reduced by 1.

Ice Strike - Difficulty 10%

The psyker draws in all the moisture in the air around him or her, rapidly freezing it and morphing it into a projectile, before launching it towards a target. Ice Strike is a psychic bolt and has the following profile;

Ice Strike Special B Single - 2D6+1 - - -

Frost Armour - Difficulty 15%

The Psyker draws the focus towards her or herself, creating an aura of sheer cold. This forms a thick film of ice over their body or armour, as well as hindering those in close proximity. Frost armour is a persistent power. Anyone in close combat with the psyker is at - 5 to hit and parry, cumulative with any other modifiers. Additionally the psyker gains D3 ablative armour points across all locations. Against las weapons the armour is not considered ablative, unless the damage is double the armour point value. I.e. 3 points of frost armour gained, however hit by a las gun that does 4 points of damage, as per usual the target takes 1 point of damage. However the damage was not double the armour value so is not destroyed. However if a 6 or more was rolled the taget would take 3 points of damage and all of the frost armour is destroyed.

Rime
The psyker draws the heat out of an area, leaving a patch of ground covered in a thin layer of ice and water. Moving over this area is a risky action for anything except a careful walk (2 yards per action), with a failed action causing the individual to lose balance and go prone, or slip from the walkway, or whatever- depending on the terrain affected.
This is a persistent power, and the difficulty would increase depending on the size of the area affected.

Chill of the Grave:
The psyker reaches into the mind of the victim, using his mental powers to entrance the enemy. This power is a ranged and persistent ability which can be used on one enemy character within line of sight of the psyker. Whilst the power is in effect, the targeted character may do nothing at all and counts as being stunned (he does not fall prone). He may attempt to break free of the Daemon's control at the start of every subsequent turn and will succeed if he can pass a Willpower test.

Bloodfreeze:
Seraphael may use this power on any model within 18 yards that he is already aware of. This is a ranged power, but it does not require line of sight. If the psychic test is successful, the victim takes an Initiative test modified by the amount the psyker passed his psychic test by. If this is failed, the character is hit in D6 random locations exactly as if they had been hit by a webber. The effects stay in place exactly as with a webber, including the D6 damage every turn. As this is not a persistent power, further psychic tests are not required. Characters can attempt to free themselves, though web solvent has no effect.

comments welcomed, as well as new powers

DapperAnarchist

Not sure about details, but a power that creates armour - not a forcefield, armour, but 1) the armour fades over time, and 2) requires toughness tests or it damages the psyker. Basically, the Psyker coats themself in ice.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

Interesting idea, but I think I'd swap point #1 for simply making it ablative - or maybe "half ablative", taking half the damage it stops or something.

Ice won't melt that fast over the minute or two the game represents (particularly if it's REALLY cold ice, in which case it has to heat up before it melts), but it would certainly shatter and weaken when hit.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Corrino

Ice Strike - Difficulty 10%

The psyker draws in all the moisture in the air around him or her, rapidly freezing it and morphing it into a projectile, before launching it towards a target. Ice Strike is a psychic bolt and has the following profile;

Ice Strike Special B Single - 2D6+1 - - -

Frost Armour - Difficulty 15%

The Psyker draws the focus towards her or herself, creating an aura of sheer cold. This forms a thick film of ice over their body or armour, as well as hindering those in close proximity. Frost armour is a persistent power. Anyone in close combat with the psyker is at - 5 to hit and parry, cumulative with any other modifiers. Additionally the psyker gains D3 ablative armour points across all locations. Against las weapons the armour is not considered ablative, unless the damage is double the armour point value. I.e. 3 points of frost armour gained, however hit by a las gun that does 4 points of damage, as per usual the target takes 1 point of damage. However the damage was not double the armour value so is not destroyed. However if a 6 or more was rolled the taget would take 3 points of damage and all of the frost armour is destroyed.

SpanielBear

Rime The psyker draws the heat out of an area, leaving a patch of ground covered in a thin layer of ice and water. Moving over this area is a risky action for anything except a careful walk (2 yards per action), with a failed action causing the individual to lose balance and go prone, or slip from the walkway, or whatever- depending on the terrain affected.
This is a persistent power, and the difficulty would increase depending on the size of the area affected.

Furthermore, for all these powers there is the problem of what happens to all the heat the psyker is sucking out of the area/atmosphere? Does it go into the psyker, or placed into an object like a charm or voodoo doll, or is it sucked into the warp? All of these things could have consequences, which might be interesting to explore.
Have Fun, Stay Sane, Enjoy the Madness

Molotov

This is interesting indeed, as I have a daemonhost with void-chill whose powers are based around cold. I encourage you to keep a single post with all the powers in, as otherwise it's going to get very confusing.

The two powers I used for my daemonhost were:

Chill of the Grave: The psyker reaches into the mind of the victim, using his mental powers to entrance the enemy. This power is a ranged and persistent ability which can be used on one enemy character within line of sight of the psyker. Whilst the power is in effect, the targeted character may do nothing at all and counts as being stunned (he does not fall prone). He may attempt to break free of the Daemon's control at the start of every subsequent turn and will succeed if he can pass a Willpower test.
Bloodfreeze: Seraphael may use this power on any model within 18 yards that he is already aware of. This is a ranged power, but it does not require line of sight. If the psychic test is successful, the victim takes an Initiative test modified by the amount the psyker passed his psychic test by. If this is failed, the character is hit in D6 random locations exactly as if they had been hit by a webber. The effects stay in place exactly as with a webber, including the D6 damage every turn. As this is not a persistent power, further psychic tests are not required. Characters can attempt to free themselves, though web solvent has no effect.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega