Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Ordo Xenos factions...

Started by seaglen, July 23, 2011, 12:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaglen

Hello all!

do any factions or divide exsist amongst the Ordo Xnos?

i am writing the background for my Inqisitor, and he i have made him part of the "council of Naicus", a shadowy cell of inquisitors from the Ordo Xenos who dable not in the destruction of the xenos, but the control, usurping, negotiating and trade. Is this a view that would cause a stir in the Ord Xenos ranks?
would this lead to the council being a very secretive offshoot?

thoughts and comments please!

MarcoSkoll

Ugh. Computer crash.

Quote from: seaglen on July 23, 2011, 12:38:13 AMDo any factions or divide exist amongst the Ordo Xenos?
Yes. Humans are not known for agreeing, particularly when you give them infinite authority.

QuoteIs this a view that would cause a stir in the Ordos Xenos ranks? Would this lead to the council being a very secretive offshoot?
It's certainly a Radical view, given that standard Imperial policy is to rearrange the organs of Xenos, preferably over a wide area.

Whether it's a secretive view very much depends. Many Radicals will keep to themselves, for fear of being "removed". However, if several Inquisitors were openly allied on a Radical view, they could become a known and grudgingly accepted faction within the Sector Conclave, being too formidable an alliance that you could actually remove them.

One way a Radical could get away with being open, yet without anyone to support his views, would be to be so invaluable (through knowledge, skill or having the ear of a great many important people) that other Inquisitors simply tolerate his ramblings because he's too important to get rid of.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

It's Radical, but not Renegade - Tau'va Inquisitors and so on would be in the Renegade camp, and Ravenor's co-operation with Eldar certainly skirts the edge, much as Eisenhorn's work with Cherubael did, but this is much more interesting. While it doesn't call for the destruction of all Xenos, it does call for human dominance, which is important. The existence of Xenos Protectorates (the old old text box about the Laer mentions that this is what the bureaucrats wanted, but Fulgrim refused) indicates that at least sometimes this is acceptable. They'd get a lot of support from powerful Rogue Traders and Trading Cartels as well. However, this would be partnered with opposition from the Munitorium, the Chapters, the Ecclesiarchy, and perhaps the Navy (depending on how pragmatic they are). I assume that Xenos Horriblis are still subject to destruction? You can't trade with a Tyranid, you can't trust an Eldar, and you can't negotiate with an Ork.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Myriad

Well, if an inquisitor does it it's legal by definition.  There's a line at which you get denounced by the rest of the inquisition but for a radical faction manipulation of xenos races is quite believable - it's in that class of actions which would get your average citizen shot, but inquisitors are permitted to judge expedient.  A degree of trade with xenos is not unknown where pragmatism prevents a more militant approach. 

The ordo xenos raises the intriguing possibility of factions forming locally around the treatment of specific xenos races. The point Dapper makes about still calling for human dominance is a good one - it seems a chunk of their doctrine is to do with their preferred approach rather than a fundamental 'xenos are all right after all' heresy.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

DapperAnarchist

I'm not sure about the legal by definition - while an Inquisitor has near-infinite legal powers, those are granted, not inherent, and may well be subject to certain limits - such as no betraying the human race. So, becoming a Gue'vesa Inquisitor would be treason and beyond the legal limits of an Inquisitor's powers - unless he can prove before a Conclave that he had a reason, such as directing the Tau against a greater threat, or unmining the Tau from within. In which case he wasn't really a Gue'vesa in the first place. Those Jurisprudence classes come in handy sometimes :D
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Torerador

I think it is certainly a feasible view to hold. Inquisitors, particularly groups of inquisitors hold a lot of sway over things like that, it's tough to argue with the authority of the immortal god-emperor. If he was alone it would bea tough stance to hold. I'd think that the inevitable conflicts with the ecclesiarchy would make for some interesting games.

seaglen

Many thanks for the feedback guys....
ok, below is the background for my xenos inquisitor. please feel free to tear it apart. C&C welcome!

Background:
Inquisitor Lucius Drachtenburg is one of the older Inquisitors remaining on the Council of Nacius, a shadowy group of Ordo Xenos Inquisitors whose priorities lie not with the extermination, but the understanding, negotiating and control of the alien. The beliefs of this council are radical to say the least, and on several occasions since its formation 182 years ago there have been numerous attempts to silence the group by other members of the Inquisition. Needless to say, Drachtenburg has many enemies within the ranks of the Ordo Hereticus. He has maintained his views confidently, with a network of allied Inquisitors having kept the Council of Nacius active over the years. Originating from the Traith system, Drachtenburg has spent over two centuries in the service of the Ordo Xenos. An acolyte of the late Inquisitor Henkel, Drachtenburg learned of the Xenos rapidly. Henkel was far from kind to the approach of learning, and had Drachtenburg placed in situations ranging from dissecting live Tyranid Rippers to front-line tactical advisory for Deathwatch kill teams. His experience and gathered knowledge of the Xenos species inhabiting the galaxy is beyond doubt one of the more extensive of his Ordo, and his reputation for being one of the leading experts on Eldar and Xenarch races has earned many to consult him on occasion. Through the turning of the years, it has become apparent that Drachtenburg holds strong Recongregator beliefs. Maintaining that the Imperium is a stagnant and decaying husk of its former glory, Drachtenburg is under the belief that in order to endure, the Imperium needs to drastically change. He is more than happy to upset the order and routine the Imperium is accustomed to, providing opportunities for alteration. Being both a member of the Conclave of Nacius and a staunch Recongregator has given Drachtenburg a long and almost inexhaustible list of individuals opposing his views and motives. Coming to blows on frequent occasions with Inquisitors of the Amalathian belief he has been branded a disturbance to the order and structure of the Imperium, which he proudly does not deny. Practically, Inquisitor Drachtenburg is a firm believer that the ends justify the means, and he has been known to conspire and negotiate with pro-xenos cults, outlaws, desperados and xenos entities. Unscrupulous and scheming, Drachtenburg also retains links to the more dogmatic organizations in order to scrutinize the Imperium and its populace. His pragmatic and disruptive methods have caused uproar in several systems and the chambers of Inquisitorial debate alike. However, despite all of this, it cannot be denied that he has had great effects on Imperial and xenos worlds alike. Gifted with a portion of psychic ability, Drachtenburg has become untrusted by many of his peers; some claiming that he exploits his powers to gain influence. Nevertheless, amongst his allies are many powerful and influential Inquisitors, especially those with positions on the mysterious council of Nacius.

"I´ve never met such a cynical, manipulative and unloving man my whole life. But Throne! Does he make an impact in this Imperium! Emperor only knows what he was doing on Ubrik when we met. Oh yeah, don´t mention his age. He gets uptight about it." --- Gavroche Strident, mercenary.

"The Imperium needs to be united and strong! Drachtenburg is causing rifts and wounds which may never heal. He is a force against unity and as such a threat to the safety of Imperial structure and mankind!" --- Inquisitor Lucypher of the Ordo Malleus.