Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Return to Veritas III

Started by wargame_insomniac, July 30, 2011, 04:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wargame_insomniac

Hi

Hopefully will be shortly starting a narrative campaign in Leeds with Warfare, Navarr and Keravin.  Setting up this thread so we can post campaign background, finalised character concepts and backstory, and of course any scenario briefings and game stories.

To start things off we need a location setting. In the absence of any pre-determined background for any of the warbands I have sketched out some basics. The idea was to have a planets and sub-sector that was near to the likes of Cadia and Fenris to allow some campaign hooks whilst also being remote and unimportant eneough that we could have a free hand with the narrative.

Cheers

James

wargame_insomniac

Veritas III

Veritas III is the 3rd planet of the Veritas system in the Neutra sub sector of the Segmentum Obscuras. Located betwixt Cadia and Fenris it served as a major supply route from Segmentum Solar through to the bastion worlds. It's strategic importance meant that a permanenet Imperial naval task force was moored in orbit and the native PDF was well armed and highly trained. The Occulum Terriblis was a distant but constant reminder of the need for vigilance against the Ancient Enemy.   

The planet's surface dominated by larger landmass in northern hemisphere stretching as far as the tropics with a smaller continent far to the south surrounded by hundreds of smaller islands. The seas and oceans covered just 25% of the planet's surface meaning water was at a premium, and the polar ice floes being a priceless resource.

Most of the human population clustered in the northern continent. Fairly flat with few hills and no significant mountain ranges, there were no rivers to speak of. Thin areas of arable farmland covered the western and eastern coastal strips. To the south lay tropical rainforest, to the north deciduous forests. These areas caught the limited annual rainfall leaving the massive hinterland a parched and arid plain, verging on desert in areas.

The only source of fresh water in the plains were underground springs. This was where the human settlements lay, growing in time to the dozen hive cities that dominated the political landscape. Controlled by feudal water clans, city life here was hot, dry and cramped.  The central Triangle was the region's powerhouse, Athern, Saffrine and Sandeville, the sites respectively of the Planetary Governor, the High Ecclesiarch and the merchant Free Trade Guilds.

The southern continent was geologically much younger. Coastline comprised jagged peninsulas and fjords with conifer lined interior rugged and mountainous. The colder waters of the southern hemisphere were full of marine life and supported a vibrant fishing industry. The inhabitants were hardy folk, rugged outdoorsmen, far more reserved than their northern counterparts.

The only significant town on the southern continent was known simply as The Gateway. Wealthy northern elite jetted in via the hoverport to enjoy refreshing spa breaks and seasonal skiing. Some even braved the southern weather for hunting and fishing, hiking and walking.

[Tried to incorporate a variety of terrain to cover the different scenic boards that we have down at Leeds Wargaming centre to allow us varied scenarios.

Several sources of potential conflict to help with scenarios:
-tensions between state, church and merchant guilds
-rivalry between various hives
-intrigue within hives as various families compete to usurp the Water Clans
-plus the usual aliens/mutants/heretics]

Keravin

Is the idea to focus on a specific planet for now?   Who's going to be GM? 

wargame_insomniac

Hi

I thought we would need an initial base where most scenarios done, but we are not restricted to just one planet. So long as we have a narrative link between scenarios.

So far no one has indicated that they specifically wanted to be GM. We discussed being GM in rotation so that we can each play in turn using our own warbands.

So far we have the 4 of us (you, me, Navarr and Warfare). I am hoping to also get Dan from Leeds Night Owls involved. Dan has said that he won't be able to join in at the start of campaign- I am hoping he will be able to join in either as a late arrival as player or as an alternate GM.

Obviously if anyone wants to GM throughout the campaign then that would work too.

Do you know what Ordo/Faction you want to play?

Thanks

James

Keravin

Depending on time I might GM though I don't know the rules as I've never played.   

If I'm playing I'm Ordo Malleus based on the fact I'm playing a daemonhunter.

wargame_insomniac

Ok- that would be great if you wanted to do it but no pressure.

To be honest we were all going to be blind leading the blind, as Josh has never played, and both Rory and myself have played once recently (and before that I had played a couple of times 10 years ago when game first came out). That was main reason I suggested we GM in rotation so that burden shared equally.

At the moment we are going to have 1 Ordo Hereticus (Navarr playing a recongregator) and 3 Ordo Malleus (i'm playing a Xanthite). You & Rory still need to decide what faction.

Ideally if you & Rory can play 2 different Puritan factions then we would have an even split between radicals and puritans, and representing 4 of the main 6 factions. With 3 of us being in the Ordo Malleus that would definitely give a very strong flavour to the campaign.

Cheers

James

Keravin

Well my plans to have a think of this got a little derailed by being in a car crash last week, but I'll have some thoughts and also look at what I've got that could be used for NPCs.   I know I have a couple of large Dark Age models that may work at a pinch.   I'll probably be heading up to LWC at some point to have another look around as I need Craig to confirm a tournament date and he's not great at emails.

wargame_insomniac

Quote from: Keravin on August 10, 2011, 03:47:06 PM
Well my plans to have a think of this got a little derailed by being in a car crash last week, but I'll have some thoughts and also look at what I've got that could be used for NPCs.   I know I have a couple of large Dark Age models that may work at a pinch.   I'll probably be heading up to LWC at some point to have another look around as I need Craig to confirm a tournament date and he's not great at emails.
Sorry to hear that- hope your OK.

If you are arranging Warmachine tournaments at LWC I am sure you'll be posting dates. Make sure you post dates on Leeds Night Owls forum as this is still forum that most members use to arrange games.

NPC's would be great but I guess we might not need them for every scenario. Will be useful to have them at GM's disposal though. I hope to contribute a few NPC's as well, but I need to prioritise painting my own warband first and am a slow painter.

Josh aka Navarr has dropped me a line to arrange a warm up game. We still need to agree on dates but will be good to get some more practice games.

Cheers

James

Keravin

Well we could probably do with the others saying if they are happy with my gming as that will then change how we do the setup?

wargame_insomniac

Quote from: Keravin on August 12, 2011, 12:31:50 PM
Well we could probably do with the others saying if they are happy with my gming as that will then change how we do the setup?
Hi

I know Josh aka Navarr has been struggling to get internet access recently but he has started posting his character backstories and so hopefully will look in on this thread.

I have been encouraging Rory aka Warfare to register at the Conclave- i beleive he has done so but i believe he is/was away on holiday.

The initial suggestion was to rotate as GM as noone expressed interest in doing it and to give everyone a chance to play. I think it would be helpful to have one person being GM- easier to be impartial and can do overarcing storyline. I think it is great if you are happy to be GM.

If you do the Gm'ing you would be completely free to alter any of the above draft background and change to what you have in mind.

Thanks

James

Navarr

As I won't be able to take part for a couple of months I can also GM as well. If ever Keravin can't make it to scheduled games I can act as GM, as I will also want to attend, even though initially I won't be playing.

Keravin

Well I've started coming up with ideas and an initial focus for the campaign.  I do need to have an idea of characters and motivations for groups to help focus where it's going, but I do at least have an opening idea to get the warbands down to Veritas III.

wargame_insomniac

Quote from: Keravin on August 15, 2011, 12:33:30 PM
Well I've started coming up with ideas and an initial focus for the campaign.  I do need to have an idea of characters and motivations for groups to help focus where it's going, but I do at least have an opening idea to get the warbands down to Veritas III.
Excellent- I saw Rory aka Warfare down at Leeds Night Owls yesterday- he was playing WFB in practice for a club tournament next week. I was nt able to talk to him for long as was mid-game but I did mention that you had offered to GM, and that Josh aka Navarr would be joining in campaign later.

Rory has not yet posted any background for his warband at The Conclave- I don't know how much he has worked out. I know he is using the stock Covenant model as his inquistor and therefore will be playing a Puritan of the Ordo Malleus, faction unknown.

So to start with we will have 2 rival inquistors of the Ordo Malleus- one Puritan and a Xanthite.  I don't know if that helps your ideas.

Cheers

James

wargame_insomniac

For my character I was thinking that I have arrived at the planet in pursuit of the Tzeentchian cultist, Jarno Koren, who escaped my clutches 10 years ago.  I was thinking that my Inquisitor has been influenced by his daemon sword, for jarno Koren possesses a copy of / has knowledge of the location of the Libra Novo, a Tzeentchian tome. I am figuring it is part of long term plan to subvert my Inquisitor to Chaos. However my inquisitor is unaware of this and still believes with the arrogance of youth, that it is possible to use the power of Chaos against itself (think Boromir and the One Ring).

So he arrives on Veritas III convinced he is still carrying out the will of the Emperor and attempting to purge a threat to mankind.

I was nt thinking that this would be the main thread of the campaign- just simply the reason that I travelled to Veritas III in the first place. Of course once there could be easily drawn into a whole different direction, according to your plot ideas. It would be cool if could incorporate some of the above even as a secondary objective.

I am not anticipating finding the book. The interest may be in more the journey than the destination. Of course it could be interesting as to what happens when my inquisitor finds out that his daemon sword has been influencing him in quest for book. Would he be too far down the route to forbidden knowledge to turn back. Would he continue the search for book to destroy it, hand it over to ordo, or might he still cling to the belief that in using it's knowledge that he is serving the Imperium by attacking it's enemies....

Keravin

Well I've imagined that the death of a local Inquisitor who was predominantly based on the planet has lead to both new inquisitors arriving.   I can imagine that he might have had resources that might be of interest to your individual aims, plus one of you may well have been directed to find out who did it.

The initial plan for the first game is a two character game but not using your Inquisitor.   The advance parties have something to do.   Gets people used to playing the game, gets them thinking about their characters and lets the subordinates meet ahead of any future meeting between the Inquisitors.