Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Molotov's INQ28

Started by Molotov, August 01, 2009, 09:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dexter

Quote from: Easy E on August 24, 2010, 04:00:14 AM
I didn't like Ophelia's face.  Not your fault, but it looked kind of mannish. 

I see what you mean, I think it's the white hair that does it.  It's in a style that lots of anime artists use.  To minimize the parallel, I would paint her hair in as natural a color as possible.  Not that white isn't natural, but I would try to emphasize the shadows more.  It always makes me cry a little when I see 40k done anime-style on deviantart.
Then again, that's just me.
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Molotov

I raised the same issue, but it's partly the angle of the photograph. I'm really really really not a fan of anime in the slightest. Her hair is painted white because she used to be a Battle Sister and it was supposed to visually link back, that's all.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Dexter

Quote from: Molotov on August 24, 2010, 08:03:34 AM
I'm really really really not a fan of anime in the slightest.

*hugs*
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

DapperAnarchist

I think she has a bit of a fat lip - you could give her a bruise...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Molotov

I contacted Doghouse with a commission to sculpt me an assassin based on the highly-successful Assassin's Creed series. Here's the fluff I sent him:

An assassin in the employ of Inquisitor Adorno: The order of assassins from which he hails has no name, but likens itself to the Imperial Aquila. Hailing from a remote community upon an arid, rocky planetoid, its operatives are seen as akin to the claws ot the eagle, dispensing swift and violent justice to the Emperor's foes. The order places great emphasis upon remaining undetected until the last possible moment so that death may come to their targets at any time. The assassins are a 'hidden blade' at the throat of the enemy. To prosper, an assassin must blend with crowds, moving swiftly and silently without detection. They must take unexpected routes to their targets and strike without mercy.

Secretive and closed to outsiders, the order has evoked suspicion over the course of its history. At one point, the Black Templars Chapter stood ready to eradicate the assassins, but highly-placed Inquisitors ordered the Space Marines to stand down, reasoning the value of such a brotherhood beholden to the Inquisition.

Since that time, the order has provided assassins to Inquisitors upon request. Adorno's radical views and diabolic practices are of little concern to the order - its masters are well aware that extreme methods must be taken to safeguard the Imperium. It is enough for them that Adorno's authority is derived from that of the Emperor Himself.

The assassin is an intense man, quiet and introspective. Typically, he wears a white cloak, the thick cowl pulled low over his face. He radiates a palpable aura of strength and fortitude. His voice is low and masked with a thick accent, his movements fluid, yet unassuming. Having undergone trials and instruction into the hidden mysteries of the order, he is introverted, devoting himself to the ritual of training, ceaselessly honing his skills. He is in thrall to the tenets of the cult, what he calls 'the creed'.

With the order likening itself to the claw of the Aquila, the assassin carries what is known as a 'talon', a bracer worn on the forearm incorporating a spring-loaded blade mounted above the wrist. A flex of the hand and the mechanism of the blade will trigger, extending it and allowing it to be used to its full, deadly potential.

INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

precinctomega

Molotov

So, a long overdue update. The latest model is a Xenos advisor tagging along with Inquisitor Hoth.

He is an excellent sculpt by Eolith Miniatures; An excellent sculpt, and real fun to convert (and for Steve to paint, I hear!) The Hurk model is designed to be a small model at 54mm scale, but at 27mm tall he sits well amongst the other denizens of the dark millennium.

The model is intended to represent a member of the Scythians, a relatively unknown 40k race that have received only a few scattered mentions in the fluff. We wanted him to look deliberately very 'alien', hence the blue skin. I asked Steve to take inspiration from the Poison Dart Frog, hence the spotting on his skin.

I gave some thought as to why the pommel of his dagger had a human skull  on it - I came to the idea that it might be a gift from the Inqusitor  he works with. As a result, I attached a brass-etch Inquisition  symbol to the scabbard of his blade to show that his work is sanctioned  by the Inquisitor in question. I think it's come out really well, and serves as a nice little touch that gives him a bit of character.
- precinctomega

Hadriel Caine

wow! the skin tone is brilliant.

amazing paint job and good use of hurk at 28mm!
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

Myriad

Looking awesome, if not quite as cute anymore.  Like the pistol, got a non standard look to it without being too exotic.
I had better point out, that some of the clubs I represent are of a military bent.

You know what you are?  A plywood shark!

Shannow

That skin is amazing and I am humbled...seriously cool. Also i really didn't like the model whenever it has been shown without a paintjob, but I think it looks fantastic all done.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Heroka Vendile

it's a terrific paintjob and I do quite like SteveBs sculpt - but i can't help thinking the in Inq28 he'll just look like one of the rubber-faced aliens from Star Trek  ;)
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Molotov

That's a valid point. I wanted him to seem somewhat like a 'savage in civilised clothing'. It partly stems from my philosophy that everything in Inquisitor should  be stretched to its limits - especially so in INQ28. That's why my Deathwatch Space Marine is a true-scaled giant who dwarfs everything around him. It's why I wanted this alien to look distinctly 'alien', hence the shocking blue skin, which should stand out on the table. (If I were to ever make Orks for INQ28, the basic Boyz would likely be made from the Nobz sprues, to make them distinctly big and scary.)

I guess we'll have to see how he looks in context!
- precinctomega

Molotov

It's always a bit weird with my desk - some models will sit there for years and suddenly have a bunch of bits added to them. And some of them don't turn out at all how I imagined.

Here's a few interesting things I've been working on today (I've been converting a bunch of Necromunda Orlocks, but those are for later...)

This is Pyremaster Korbin... one of my favourite 40k figures, so I've not converted him. I have, however, added a brass etch =][= to the page of his book (hopefully you should be able to see it...)

A bit of a messier picture, this is Inquisitor Greer. You've seen him before, but the combination of losing certain bits and finding other bits has left him in the state he is at the moment. I can't decide on a head for him at the moment, however. I'm in the midst of trying to give him an armoured breastplate, to which I'm going to add an =][=. After that I'll be green-stuffing his arm.

Now this model is an oddity. I bought Gunnery Sergeant Harker because somewhere on the internet I saw a cool conversion of the model for a post-apocalyptic game, giving him a double-handed axe. I fully intended to rip off the conversion. However, playing with the figure today he ended up like this:

I quite like how he's looking at the moment; he needs a certain amount of work, but he looks the part for an Inquisitor's chem-nourished henchman. I imagine him being a hive ganger or ex-Guardsman (or both!). I'll keep you updated as I progress with the conversion.
- precinctomega

DapperAnarchist

Please give the Harker conversion an Arnie or Sly inspired name... Even an obscure one, like his characters name in that one with Danny DeVito...
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

O_o

what arms and  hands  are used on  the  chem-nourished henchman ??