Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Molotov's INQ28

Started by Molotov, August 01, 2009, 09:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molotov

Point taken, Simeon. In part I rushed the conversion, but it has to be pointed out that the original model wasn't much better, instead having a bolter/grenade launcher combi-weapon the size of a small African nation! I did mean to add a knife to the model (and he has one in his rules) but I hadn't gotten around to it. I'll see what can be done!

If you're interested in Adorno and his retinue, I put up a thread for their rules here.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Simeon Blackstar

In that case, please take it as a compliment that I thought it was an unconverted model and was criticising the original sculptor!  ;D

Molotov

Damn... sorry for taking so long to respond to this thread! Simeon, if you're still reading, thanks - if you're at all interested, check out this picture to see the ridiculously-large combi-weapon that I was talking about.

In the mean-time... As our group draws closer to the campaign to determine the fate of Nova Castille, it's finally coaxing some of our more recalcitrant hobbyists to get out the paintbrushes. My friend Nick, who's going to be leading the puritan Inquisitor Alaric Balthier to (hopeful) victory, has begun to work on his retinue.

His aim is to use red as a unifying colour throughout the retinue, in different ways. He brought me these models today, and I managed to get a few quick low-quality snaps as the light faded.

Here's Ishamel Castor, (WIP) Warrior-Priest and Xenoscourge:

"Slim" Rios, Gunslinger:

And lastly, Balthier. Nick said he toyed with the red, and painted the model as-is just because he had the red open... but we've been talking today about colour theories and the distribution of paint across the model, so he's giving it some thought.

INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

Molotov

Inspired by Mypunkrockisbetterthanyou's Warseer thread, I fiddled with a few bits to start work on an Imperial Beastman who might fit into the retinue of one of my Inquisitors.

It's a gor (or ungor? I don't know enough about Beastmen) head with the horns shaved off and smoothed down, put on a Catachan heavy weapons body. I need to get some more Catachan bits to finish him off (I'll probably have to get a Command Squad, not sure...) but he strikes me as an interesting character.
- precinctomega

Ancelyn

I love your 28mm range , Molotov. The detail you managed to achieve with your painting style is glorious. It wouldn't look any more impressive if they were at 54mm scale. Excellent collection 8).
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Molotov

:)

Thanks for the comment, Ancelyn! It's been a bit quiet in here, so it's always really nice to get a response.

Of course, more proof (if proof were needed) that people on the internet care more for pretty pictures than for my boring text! :) Although 95% of the models in this thread were converted by me, you'd be lucky to find something I'd painted myself. I really enjoy converting, but I find painting itself incredibly frustrating because the results rarely match what I envision in the first place.

Still, this afternoon Nick stopped around mine and finished up Ishmael Castor, warrior-priest. Part of Inquisitor Balthier's retinue, he's a pretty fun guy.... if you're into discussing the intricacies of Imperial religious texts!

- precinctomega

TheNephew

Presumably there is a 28mm Kal Jerico still available?
I'm a big fan of the contrasting colour scheme there, with the stark white looking very nice.
The red overcoats/robe theme is great as well.
One of the things I like about 28mm models is that it looks slightly less silly when characters carry swords taller than they are - Bathier being a case in point.

Am I right in reading that you do the converting and recruit a painter?
If so I'm impressed with how smoothly the weapon swaps are done - they're simple conversions, but done so flawlessly that (as Simeon said) you couldn't tell it was chop'n'stick'd.

Heroka Vendile

Quote from: TheNephew on August 23, 2009, 02:31:30 PMPresumably there is a 28mm Kal Jerico still available?

Indeed there is.

Loving the collection Molotov.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Molotov

Thanks for linking the picture, Heroka (and for commenting, too - I always appreciate comments, as sometimes the internet seems like quite a quiet place!)

We used the 28mm (if you can call it that - he's a very tall model!) Jericho unconverted for Slim Rios, but I've also used it for my "space pirate" figure, Saul Baltasar, who'll be featuring in Inquisitor Hoth's retinue. It's a nicely sculpted model, but as I mentioned, both the Kal and Scabbs models are very tall, standing almost 30mm tall I reckon. We got around it for Slim by suggesting that he was born on a low-gravity world and has therefore grown up to be tall and somewhat willowy.

Should be some more pictures in the next few days...
- precinctomega

Molotov

Ferox's Forces (or at least the ones I have to hand)

Inquisitor Ferox, Radical Recongregator. I posted him in the INQ28 thread on the last Conclave; based on comments received before its crash, and us revising his character concept, he had his hand replaced with a metal hand from a classic Necromunda Ratskin chieftain.

Ferox's Acolyte, Raef; He's made from a Vostroyan officer with a head from the Cadian Command Squad. The pose has been enhanced by sawing the bolt pistol arm and reattaching it at a more natural angle:

The (as-yet unamed) Torturer and Medic working for Ferox. He should be obvious; a mix of Cadian and Catachan command squad parts:

- precinctomega

RobSkib

The barcode on the back of the head of the torturer is a great touch. I like that you've removed Ferox's secondary weapon to leave him with just the sword, it fits the model's theme a lot more. I'd still say that at 28mm, you could be a bit more creative with your Inquisitor than to just buy the standard 'Inquisitor' models, but hey - each to their own! Which leads me on to the Vostroyan conversion - a wonderful concept that I can't wait to see painted, although I must say the icing on the cake would be a Lho stick or a big fat cigar chomped between his teeth. Good job!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.

Molotov

Well, I take your point - though as you can tell from most of the models, we do do conversions where we can. My favourite Inquisitor, the one that I'll primarily be playing, is based on the Primaris Psyker model.

Here he is; Inquisitor Hoth himself:

I used the banner top from the Assault on Black Reach Captain's backpack banner to somewhat emulate Eisenhorn's staff. Since this picture was taken I've greenstuffed the breastplate and added a sash to it - no pictures, unfortunately; I sent him off to be painted.
- precinctomega

Holiad

Nice. Very authoritative, as an inquisitor should be.
Poor noble Marech
Noone 'till the end could see
Your brave heart of fire

Molotov

Here's the latest on Raef, Ferox's Acolyte:

- precinctomega

Molotov

A little bit more progress on the true-scaled Deathwatch Marine you've seen before:

- precinctomega