Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Molotov's INQ28

Started by Molotov, August 01, 2009, 09:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molotov

When all the other weapons in an Inquisitor's arsenal fail, there's always harsh language...

Out of curiousity, why not? I think the daemonhost is a substantial improvement over the stock model, and I tried to make him similar to the Cherubael figure.
INQ28 Thread | INQ28 Blog
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

dwi

I don't know it just seems to me to be un host like with it's arms like that. When I think of a host I think of a guy bound in rope like the other 28m deamonhunter host guy you know the one with his arms tied up close to him?

Molotov

Well, I take your point.

I'm not sure how it can be "un-host-like", though. Cherubael's arms aren't bound to the body. There's fluff that states that the greater the wards and bindings placed upon a host, the weaker its powers. Anyone creating a Daemonhost must walk that fine balance between the two. Clearly, rope is but one way of restricting the host. Wards, sigils, needles, holy silver and the like may all play some role in restricting the host and dampening its abilities. It's entirely possible that hosts could be created that look nothing like any of the three models produced by Games Workshop at all.

I think one of the aims for this model was to show that the Daemon was trapped. The body is being rubbed red-raw at the manacles. Seraphael was unwillingly trapped by Inquisitor Adorno, and if the situation presented itself he would willingly kill the Inquisitor for his temerity.
INQ28, done properly, is at least the equal of its big brother - and Mol is one of the expert proponents of "done properly".
- precinctomega

dwi

True, if you have the power you can weaken them a lot and there is no need for so many of the holy bindings/holy chains, seals and whatever. Still I like the idea of a host trying as hard as it can to break free of it's bindings

Hadriel Caine

You asked for feedback on the guy based on Kal.

Here's how I see it. the Kal sculpt is lovely. The Tellion head is a nice sculpt too.
You have combined two very well known miniatures. Here is the issue. Your usual 28mm faire is often rare and heabily converted. this head and weapon swap, whilst natural, is jarring in its present, unpainted state, due to the familiarity of the parts used.

We ignore this problem in 54mm because we have less parts available to begin with.

I think he'll look great painted but it will be a masterful paint job indeed that overcomes the issues raised above.

Adam

p.s. he DOES look like a rogue trader too :P

p.p.s. I'm not being a tease any more- check out my retrospective. :)
The Fall of Astraea
Astrean OOC- feedback thread

\'You have to lie to keep people happy\'

precinctomega

I think the paintjob will make a big difference.  Painting Kal's coat as a smart ship-officer's greatcoat rather than as a battered dust-coat will make a strong contrast with the original source of the parts.

R.

Molotov

Thanks for all the comments about Saul. I really do appreciate them, and I made sure that Steve read them also. On the issue of the eyes, he said I should post this:

I take no responsibility for his taste in movies, though!

I do take the point about the pieces being "notable", but I reckon that once they're painted the model will look a lot more homogenous. Thank you for the in-depth commentary though.

I've put up an INQ28 battlereport here on the blog, which I hope you'll find interesting.

In the meantime, I have been doing some work:

I have here half a forgeworld servo-skull which should become the head for an arco-flagellant, the head and torso for my investigator character and the head and torso for my Imperial Guard beastman character.

I was pleased when we managed to make a decent Daemonhost from the ugly GW sculpt, and I want to do something similar for the Arco-Flagellants. Steve's got a box of the metal arco-flagellants and is looking at them with a view to redeeming them, whilst at the moment I'm advocating an approach based off the plastic ghouls.

I want to create something similar to Damien. He's a hugely dynamic model. It looks as though it would take a supreme effort to stop him when he's charging towards a foe - bullets would have little effect on this drugged-up living weapon. Damien's flails also help to give him that bit of movement, whilst in the 40k models, the electro-flails almost counteract any sense of dynamicism - they just look like they're waving them around whilst trying to walk like an Egyptian.

I think that the body on the right is useable - it seems to be in a pretty decent pose. What I'd want to do is to complete the head conversion I've been working on and replace the head, and then try to work out something in the arms that'd help the model look as though it's moving quickly.
- precinctomega

Molotov

Inspired by Kaled's female tech-priest, I've begun converting the Sister from the Witch-hunters retinue box into a member of the Machine cult. It's WIP at the moment (the most obvious part missing is the hood) but I hope you can see where I'm heading:

- precinctomega

Molotov

Always amazes me how quickly topics can drop through forums!

I've done a bit of GSing today. It's not something that comes particularly naturally to me, but I've managed to wrestle the model to this point:

At the moment I'm not happy with the hood, which hasn't turned out how I wanted. I might well be cutting it off and re-attempting. This is of course still a WIP, I'm just trying to get things where I want them.
- precinctomega

precinctomega

Hood looks a bit too much like a bonnet, it's true.  But I'm disappointed that you chose to conceal the lovely sculpting and armour around the legs.

R.

MarcoSkoll

To fix the "bonnet" look, I'd add some folds around the base of the hood, and a bit of overhang to the edge around the face - it'll stop it looking like it's fitted tightly to her head.

Your GSing looks somewhat like mine did a while back. I don't pretend to be a master (just a stubborn amateur), and can't say exactly which parts of what I've changed in the meantime has been the important thing, but it's possible that:

- Your greenstuff is a little old. While if you ask a GW employee, they'll often say something to the effect of "Bloody hell, what did you do, this stuff lasts forever" (as they did when I had to buy some new stuff after I moved back into the hobby after a lull) - that's not really true. It hardens slowly over time, which you can combat by keeping it in the freezer.
My ProCreate's wrapping claims the hardening is a result of moisture absorption, which while it sounds a little odd, I have no real reason to doubt - so I've started keeping my "on the go" putty in a box packed with some of those "Silica gel" sachets you get in shoe boxes.

- You're not cutting out the part where the two components meet in the middle of the strip. This is an important thing to do, because it starts hardening here, giving you "bits" in your greenstuff. (An advantage of buying the putty supplied as two separate sticks, rather than one strip.)

- You may need to improve your smoothing process - I use cheap watercolour brushes as a way of smoothing my putty. I've used the brushes much less on the Commissar model I'm working on, because the clay shapers I bought thinking "well, I might use them occasionally" have proven utterly invaluable and very good at the smoothing themselves.
Although, quite often, the best smoothing tool for larger areas is... your fingers. If you get it right, you can quite easily smooth the putty without leaving fingerprints in it.

Those are probably the most important points I can think of for when I'm dealing with this particular kind of area of sculpting. Hope that helps.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Molotov

Here's the latest on my female Tech-Priest, hopefully looking less like she's wearing a bonnet:

I've also been studying the Enginseers for more design cues - I think I'm going to have to rework her shoulders a little bit:

I've also ordered a bunch of stuff from Forgeworld that should feature soon - the Elysian Tauros Venator, the Cadian Squad with Respirators (the heads are spare!) and the Titan Tech-Priest. Expect to see them once FW delivers!
- precinctomega

MarcoSkoll

I quite like the way this one's turning out. I might have to steal a few parts of the design when I get around to doing the Enginseer that's on my list.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Molotov

Thanks, Marco.

I've started trying to re-work the cowl around her shoulders. The left side of this picture is done (the right side was a little too fiddly and difficult for me at the moment) but hopefully it should give you an idea of where I'm going. If need be, I'll wait til it dries and then reshape it slightly with a knife.

- precinctomega

Heroka Vendile

I have to agree with Robey that I'm surprised you covered up the tabard and leg armour, but moving on, great stuff so far on her.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy