Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Coramaer II

Started by MEHughes, October 04, 2011, 09:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MEHughes

Evening all,

I've only just registered, so please correct me if this is in the wrong place  :)
To save you the hassle of searching through the forums for my post, I'll just give you a little personal information, I've been playing Inquisitor for a couple of years now, and despite this, have only ran one campaign in my time. This thread will serve as a place to post information on my NEW CAMPAIGN.

There are three of us involved in the campaign; neither of the other two players are registered here. I will make an effort to persuade ( see:force ) them to sign up, the website has been of great help to me over the past few weeks in putting together the background of the campaign.

But yes, there are three of us, and we are going to take it in turns gamesmastering and playing as appropriate. Each of our Inquisitors are nicely opposed which should lead to some wonderfully tense play and political moves. Just for you to think about whilst reading the fluff, I'll give you some VERY BRIEF history on each Inquisitor.

Matt's ( ME ) Inquisitor; Olivero Martext. Ordo Hereticus Recongregator with a burning hatred of witches.
Sam's Inquisitor; yet to be named. Ordo Malleus Monodominant with a vengeance for a certain daemon.
Elliot's Inquisitor; Lord Henry Issiah. Ordo Hereticus Monodominant with no tolerance for pretty much anything.

As you can probably see already; the potential for disagreement is heavy in the air. Posted shortly will be a sort of brief summary of Coramaer II, and more informative documents will follow over the coming weeks.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy  :)

MEHughes.

MEHughes

Back so fast.
Here's the kinda "front cover" of the background folder. Hopefully this will get you guys thinking about what might be to come. If you have any ideas regarding missions, characters ect as we go along our wonderful journey together, please chip in ! Creativity is a beautiful thing, but its true beauty lies in sharing !
Anyways.

-INQUISITORIAL RECORD (019_362_998_902_752_515_528_671): SUMMARY-

-PLANETORIAL DESIGNATION: SEGMENTUM ULTIMA 61:28:16: "Coramaer II"-
-PLANETARY CLASSIFICATION: Ocean/Gamma-
-NATURAL SATELLITES:3-
-IMPERIAL MILITARY PRESENCE: Planetary Defence Force, Naval Base of the 215thUltima Fleet (SEE FILE CORAMAERII-N7)
-TITHE GRADE: SOLUTIO PRIMA-
-PLANETARY GOVENOR: IgnatioVentris (SEE FILE CORAMAERII-PG43)
-KNOWN ENGAGEMENTS:
697.M41: Pacification of Genestealer Cult by Inq. Aringill, Ref code #228601- SUCCESS.
056.M42: Purge of Psyker uprising by Arbt. Donark, Ref code #228722- PARTIAL SUCCESS (SEE FILE CORAMAERII-WR1)
-ALL COMMUNICATIONS LOST 127.M42-

Thanks for reading,

MEHughes.

MEHughes

Evening all,

Apologies for a lack of more information. I was casually at the Houses of Parliament yesterday and didn't really get a chance to post anymore background. ANYWAY. I hope you enjoy the following;

-   INQUISITORIAL RECORD (CORAMAERII-GE03)
-   AUTHORITY LEVEL GAMMA; CLEARANCE NEEDED.
-   PLEASE PROVIDE PASSWORD; ********
-   PASSWORD CORRECT; OPENING FILE...

The Geology and Landscape of Coramaer II, as collated by Adept Michallus.

Coramaer II is what can be best described as an Ocean planet. 99% of its surface is covered with great oceans, the other 1% being the ice plateaus of the southern pole. These oceans bear close resemblance to water, with the exception that its chemical formula is NH³O – a mix of ammonia and H20, if such a thing were possible. Hence, the waters are deadly to humankind. These waters are distilled by Ammonia plants on several key atolls across the planet. These plants produce not only the water for the population of the planet, but also the 215th Ultima Fleet in Orbit.
                                 The population of Coramaer II live on some 40 atolls, spread across the planet. Some atolls are larger than others, each having a population of between 500 and 50,000. Each atoll has, for the most part, its own imports and exports, and this self sustaining planetary trade is the envy of many a planetary governor.

Below the great oceans of Coramaer II, great mining facilities riddle the ocean floor. A few miles under the planet's surface, great quantities of Iron Dichromate can be found, in pure ore form. Iron Dichromate, whilst not particularly rare in the galaxy, is uncommon in the Segmentum Ultra. Almost a dozen forge worlds rely on exports from Coramaer II to keep their factories working; the minerals primary use is found in the construction of armoured vehicles, because when it is alloyed with other metals, it creates some of the strongest materials in the realms of mankind.

Each atoll has their own mines, extending some 100 miles around the borders of their atoll. This was decided by the planetary senate when the mineral was first discovered, around 13,000 years ago, in a great decree known as " The Decree for Local Government Mining Rights"

The Decree does not entail what happens to the lands outside of these localised zones, and over the years they have been used for many purposes; Illegal expansion by more militant atolls, hideouts for drug barons and other such undesirables, and wealthy aristocrats wishing the escape the monotony of local government.
There are numerous life forms in the oceans of Coramaer II; from the widespread Red Keppleweed, to the savage Orthiu. The Orthiu are of particular note; huge, turtle like creatures, concerned only with the protection of their nests and young. Inconveniently, their nests often cover several miles, and their young, whilst few, are born some 50 metres across. Adults can grow as wide as 300 metres. They are actually herbivores, but have gained a reputation for savage behaviour after attacks on several mining facilities which had been built, unknowingly, in Orthiu nests.

Aside from this, it is estimated around 55,000 life forms inhabit the oceans of Coramaer II. There are no land based creatures, due to the lack of land. Fossil evidence suggests flying creatures earlier in the planet's history, similar to the great rays of Terra, but these are suspected to have been wiped out by early colonists.
The polar caps of the south however, are a totally different matter. Here, no official human settlements can be found. This is a true wilderness, an arctic desert that spreads some 40 miles. Whilst there are few flora and fauna in this area, there is a primitive culture here, among creatures known only as the Li. The Li stand some 7 ft tall, with an apelike appearance and a savage intelligence. They are intelligent enough to build tools from the icy landscape, and to build simple dwellings. They have not been deemed a threat to the civilised atolls, for they have no means to leave their frosty exile. These lands are banned to most civilians, but that does not stop risk seeking hunters and lowlifes trying to eek out a living in these lands.

-CLOSING FILE...

I hope you enjoyed that small piece of background there. Please feel free to comment and critique my works, as a wise man once said the only type of advice is good advice !

Thank you for reading !

MEHughes.

MEHughes

Afternoon all,

After a wonderful week of various political intrigue I once again find myself with a chance to present you with some more background information. Please enjoy  :)

-   INQUISITORIAL RECORD (CORAMAERII-PG43)

The Politics and Government of Coramaer II, as collated by Adept Michallus.

Since the colonisation of the Coramaer system following the Horus Heresy, it is clear that Coramaer II is one of the few examples where Imperial Democracy is stable within the Imperium.
         Coramaer II is an ocean world, and as such has no discernable land mass. Its population live in great atolls – hab blocks built upon tall towers to keep them safe from the mighty waves (SEE FILE CORAMAERII-GE03).There are roughly 40 such atolls on the planet, each with a population of around 1000, and their own power stations, aqua farms, schools and local governments. Each local government is led by a single individual, elected by the men of the atoll. Women are not allowed to vote.  In this way, each electorate votes not for a party, but for an individual, who stands for their own ideas and political manifesto. Once an atoll governor is voted into his position, it is the responsibility of the administrates under his command to carry out his manifesto with all due speed. Due to this; one finds that Coramaeren politics often produce strong politicians and somewhat extremist local governments. Local elections are held every 15 years, which means that an atoll who votes an unworthy governor will often drop in prestige insufferably.
                              On a planetary level, each local governor is called once a month to the largest atoll, the capital (SEE FILE CORAMAERII-AT01), Gorganta. Here, a system of parliament is devised where local governors discuss planetary issues and make decisions on planetary policy. Here also, local governors can make claims against those governors who they feel are not doing their jobs properly, and such governors can be executed if found wanting in their duty by a clear majority.
                     There is also one Planetary Governor, elected from one of the local governors, who is replaced every 20 years. Here, the entire population (women excluded) vote on who they want to be Planetary Governor. The Planetary Governor actually has little power in political issues; apart from also being the Local Governor of his own atoll and commander of the Planetary Defence Forces. However, it is he who decides if Local Governors are slacking in their own duties, and has the final word on if they should be executed. Hence, the most bloodthirsty and warlike governors often campaign to become Planetary Governor, so as to better exterminate their enemies.
                        During the course of such a Planetary Election, candidates often gather to them violent militias. This is not a decision made by the governor, but rather an almost political tradition where small gang wars take over the atolls during the campaign season. It is lucky then, that such campaigns happen only every 20 years.
               The system has run as such without fail for over 10,000 years, however, in recent times there have been some misgivings. The last Planetary Governor; Ignatio Ventris died, some believe he was murdered by the local governors before the campaign season truly began. The planet had never had such an event happen before, and the government was thrown into chaos by the lack of a leader. But – tradition must be served. There cannot be another election until 130.M42, and as such in the mean time all decisions are made by a vote among the local governors. Command of the Planetary Defence Forces has been placed under acting General Julius Marquis.
            Due to this; the political gang wars that usually only erupt around campaign season have been extended, and a great number of the atolls plunged into practical civil war between vying candidates. One can only fear what should happen when the campaign season commences officially once again.

- CLOSING FILE...

Once again, thanks for reading folks. I realise it might be tedious and somewhat boring, but it's just so you folks understand as much about the campaign as the players once I get some battle reports up. Our first battle should be around the 25th, so I will endeavor to have some battle business up by the 30th. Thanks for your interest !

MEHughes.

MEHughes

More background...

-   INQUISITORIAL RECORD (CORAMAERII-N7)
-   PASSWORD INCORRECT.

The 215th Ultima Fleet, as recorded by aides from Grand Admiral Lukas.

The 215th Ultima Fleet has been stationed on the fourth moon of Coramaer II for roughly 600 years. The dockyards on the moon are reputed to have been built by the Imperial Fists Legion during the Great Crusade – as such, the dockyards are of an excellent quality, built to endure the most implacable siege mankind faces; time. Known formally as Ultima-Capital, this is where the crews of the 215th spend most of their time. Some 40,000 men are present on the moon at any one given time.
                              The 215th fleet is also the only military force in the Coramaer system not directly under control of Coramaer II's acting Planetary Governor. As such, any candidate running for Planetary Governor would do well to maintain peace with the admirals of the fleet. The admirals put up with the petty politics of their host planet as long as they are kept provided with the commodities they need; mostly food and water. Food is somewhat easy; most of the life forms within Coramaer II's great oceans are edible. Water however, is a bigger issue; the water on Coramaer II cannot be drunk directly; the great amounts of ammonia that give it it's greenish hue would be lethally poisonous to the human body. Therefore, there are atolls on Coramaer II whose sole export is clean drinkable water. As long as the admirals are on the good side of these atolls, there are no bad relations between the planet and her satellite.
                           The 215th Ultima Fleet has only had to suppress 5 intrusions into the system over its 600 year service. The first 3 were Ork Roks, all floating in system with somewhat predictable orkish intent. They were systematically destroyed, with no survivors. The fourth was a small chaos fleet, led by a battle-barge of the Alpha Legion. This was a hard fought battle, and some of the heretics made planet fall on Coramaer II's 3rd satellite, an arid dust world by the name of Yureese. Their fleet was swiftly destroyed and ground forces eliminated by orbital bombardment. There are suspicions that some of the heretics may have survived (SEE FILE ARINGILL/2283-4#) but no solid evidence has been found. The final conflict was between that of the 215th Ultima Fleet and a Black Ship, some 40 years after The Purges on Coramaer II. When the Black Ship arrived in system, it gave no answer to the 215th's calls, and so normal navy procedure took over. Any black ship which does not return communication is presumed to have fallen to the dangers within. Several boarding torpedoes were sent, and there, troops found nothing but corpses. Again, under procedure, the ship was destroyed by cyclonic charges, but not before its archives was recovered for inquisitorial agents to discover exactly what happened on board.

The acting Grand Admiral of the 215th Ultima Fleet is Lord Anton Lukas; a man of noble birth who swiftly progressed through the ranks of the Imperial Navy. He is young, and at times zealous. He finds the prospect of being stuck in one system dreary, and often surrounds himself with tales of the Great Crusade, of golden wonders and great advancements.
               The Dockyards of Ultima-Capital are home to some 300 astropaths, a relatively small choir for a base of it's size. However, communication is quick and in depth; it is well known within the base that Ultima-Capital's astropaths are some of the best is the Segmenta.

Thanks for reading.

MEHughes.

MEHughes

Again, so more info. This piece of background I was a little less sure on; I'm not an expert in the means by which psykers are kept, so please let me know if I've put something wrong ect.

-   INQUISITORIAL RECORD (CORAMAERII-N7)
056.M42 PSYKER UPRISING, AS DICTATED BY ARBITES COMMANDER B. DONARK.
I suppose you could say it started around 40 years before the actual uprising. We documented a serious increase in the amount of wych-born, something around an increase of 300% (322%) needless to say, we followed correct procedure. We sent out a request for an immediate black ship, and in the meantime sought to contain those cursed children. For a decade or so, this worked well, the young children not knowing their own misery, happy within the black fortress' we built on the southern caps, secret from the majority of the population. Neither was aware of the other. We placed a security detachment of around 150 Arbites, along with a platoon of PDF and a phalanx of Mechanicus robots. For what were little more than 100 kids, we thought that would be more than enough.
                        In little over 5 years, the wych-born rate had doubled. We were now struggling to contain the psykers, and had to expand the prisons on the southern caps. During this time, we suffered several Li attacks on construction workers, and so works were not carried out to maximum efficiency. The new prison, capable of holding around 1300 inmates, we thought, would have no problem containing the menace until the Black Ship arrived.

This was not the case.

By 056.M42, we had around 4000 psykers in captivity, in buildings designed for 1300. We had raised the security forces, but even so, inmates outnumbered security at least 8-1. We had alot of accidents over the years, nothing major, thank god, but still. An attempted breakout by a telepath around 15 years before the uprising highlighted to us a critical flaw in our system, not that we noticed it then. Psykers are superior to the rest of us in nearly every way. They are smarter. They can organise without speaking. They don't need weapons or supplies. Physical obstacles are no issue, and even the psychic wards we erected were little difference against that many wych-born.

When they escaped, it was a disaster. We managed to piece the events together through various pict-recordings and servitor necromemories, but still. We should have seen it coming.

-OPEN FILE POLARUPRISINGRECORD?
-OPENING FILE...

04:23; Pict recording in south wing, block A, cell 53: Shows a man in meditation, chanting under his breath; believed to be RAPAEL THE JUST, the telepath responsible for co-ordinating the uprising.

05:43; Pict recording in south wing, block A, cell 53: shows RAPAEL rising to his feet and simply pushing open the cell door.

05:50; Pict recording in south wing, block A main corridor: some 117 inmates simply walk out of their cells. Pict feed dies moments later.

06:02; Report from Sgt. Kingstomn;
                  " Sir, they're everywhere, all of them, there's no way we can contain them. Squad has taken 3 casualties from Prisoner 34. Scoured the flesh straight from their bones. We're currently holding the Back door leading into the East Wing, but we can't hold out for much longer. Here they come again, ready manstoppers squad !"

06:04; Sgt. Kingstomn's life signals fade.

07:41; Pict recording in East Wing, block C courtyard showing gunfight between PDF forces and inmates. Firefight lasts several minutes, before a large explosion enghulfs the PDF forces. Presumed all dead. Several hundred inmates pass through the courtyard over the next hour.

08:12; Fire starts in North wing, block F.

08:14; Pict recording in North wing showing Arbites and Psykers alike burning alive in the blaze.

08:19; Fire takes over entire North wing.

08:46; Report from Pvt. Privyper;
                  " Central command, situation in west wing is stable, repeat situation stable. No signs of uprising here sir. All inmates in cells in regular condition. We can see the fires of the North wing from here sir. That's right sir. Yes sir, going now"

09:22; Pict recording in west wing, block A shows inmates simply walking out of their cells, as seen earlier. However, they seem to be arguing among themselves. No violence is seen, but aggressive behaviour is clear.

09:34; All North wing security assumed deceased, as the building collapses from presumed structural damage.

10:50; Pict recording on North wall shows 1000~ inmates attempting to bring down the wall. Some are hurtling energy bolts at it. Some are beating it with their fists. Some are lying on the floor, seemingly comatose.

11:11; Fire spreads to west and east blocks.

11;34; Pict recording in central control room showing several inmates knocking down the door, before all of the control staff simply collapse in their seats, presumed dead.

11:45; NO MORE COMMUNICATION OR PICT RECORDINGS AVAILABLE.

18:51; Security clean up team arrives. Firefights erupt around the ruins of the prison. Casualty figures stand at 300 loyal dead, 1000 wych dead.

LOCATION OF REMAINING INMATES UNKNOWN.
OPEN FILE INMATELIST056?
RETURNING TO MAIN MENU...

Thanks for reading,

MEHughes.

MEHughes

I must admit, I'm somewhat disappointed by the lack of replies from you folks. Oh well. Here's some information on some of the main atolls on Coramaer. For your information, Donallo is going to be the location of our first game, which will take place the week after next.

-   INQUISITORIAL RECORD (CORAMAERII-AT01)

Basic information and date regarding Gorganta, as collated by Adeptus Michallus.

Gorganta is one of the largest atolls on Coramaer II, and is by far the most influential. It is the centre of government, where the parliament of 40 members meet. It also has some of the largest water purification facilities on the planet, and a long and plentiful history of arts and culture.
            No greater divide can be found anywhere on the planet. Within miles of each other, lowly workers slave in the purification facilities and mighty aristocrats savour their wines. The class divide is made even keener by the small but distinct mutant population, mainly among the children of those who work in the purification facilities. The ammonia fumes from cleaning the water are poisonous in the long term, and often result in genetic mutation within a few generations. As many of those who work in the facilities have followed the steps of their fore-fathers, mutation is common. It is estimated there are some 40,000 mutants on Gorganta, nearly 10% of the population.
                  Whilst being the centre of planetary government, Gorganta also elects its own leader. Ignatio Ventris was the most recent such governor, however his recent suspicious death has thrown the capital into turmoil. There are roughly 5 or 6 potential candidates in the wake of his death, most of them with extreme ideology and armed followers. These range from the zealous Jedpart Mcneyal, to the mutant prince Iila Romon. At the moment, there is no clear victor, and the streets of Gorganta are a mess. Political gangs have taken over certain areas, and these areas are subject to the policies of the respective leaders. War between these gangs is common. This often happens in the run up to the planetary elections, but rarely does it happen within an atoll.

The most recent event to seize attention in Gorganta is the death of a young noble, by the name of Chriss Von Dedacker. The Von Dedackers own one of the largest water purification facilities in the capital, and they run it with an iron fist. It is suspected by both the Von Dedackers and Arbites officials that the mutant workers may have had something to do with the death of the young noble.

Information and Date regarding Yiprez, collated by Adept Michallus.
Yiprez is one of the largest atolls; however it has a smaller population than both Gorganta and Dynasis. The majority of its surface area is given over to huge hab-farms, agricultural centres miles in size that supply food for the majority of the planet. As such, Yiprez is a wealthy atoll. Its people are content, and have a high standard of living. Most of the manual labour is done by servitors, or in some cases, mutants who have fled Gorganta looking for a better life.
                        Due to it's sprawling, leisurely population, Yiprez is renowned as a centre of political intrigue. Here, secret deals are done and somewhat hedonistic deeds are committed in the darkness of the hab-farms.  The people from Yiprez have a reputation for being somewhat decadent, and self indulgent. They are content, politically, as long as they are allowed to maintain their liberal lifestyle, and there hab-farms are not taken from them. Being one of the largest sources of food on the planet, it is unlikely that this situation will change anytime soon.
            The current governor of Yiprez is Peter Lorkan, who was recently elected following the death of his father. Lorkan is a paragon of the self-indulgent aristocrats of Yiprez. Wherever he walks, he is followed by a phalanx of gaudily armoured bodyguards, and the scent of perfume and incense hangs heavy in the air.

Information and Data regarding Donallo, as collated by Adept Michallus.
Donallo is perhaps one of the most ancient and Romantized atolls on Coramaer. It is small, with only around 500 people on site, with a clear majority of these being mind-wiped servitors.  The atoll is governed by a family of the same name, and so it has been for well over 20,000 years.

Donallo is, in effect, an atoll of knowledge. It contains 5 distinct libraries, each with their own specialisation and powers. Each library also had a head librarian, often a member of the Donallo family.
Upon last investigation, the works on Donallo were too vast to examine in detail, it is estimated over 400 petrabytes of information resides here.

The largest and most important of these libraries is the Machillus Majoris. This is where the histories and records of the planet are kept. Many historians and students find themselves here, buried in the 20ft high bookcases and mountain of knowledge. The head librarian of Machillus Majoris is no other than the local governor himself, Othella Donallo.

Basic information and data regarding Dynasis, as collated by Adept Michallus.
Dynasis is roughly the same size of Gorganta, in terms of population, but much smaller as an actual habitat. Therefore, many of its inhabitants live in cramped, dirty conditions. Dynasis is well known for its expansive underwater mining facilities; the atoll has more than 400 miles of mines under its control, far more than legally allowed.  It has access to these facilities due to a long standing tradition, where one of the earliest Dynasian governors declared that mining facilities would be expanded, in order to create jobs for its booming population. It is unknown whether this was the case, or if the aggressive Dynasian expansion was simply a result of human greed.
                              The current governor of Dynasis is Hurtado Jarl, a common man elected by the workers. Previous to his election, the atoll has been dominated by the aristocrats who owned the mines. The rise to power of Jarl shows massive change in Coramaeren politics. Jarl promised in his election campaign fairer working hours and better representation for the workers. So far, he has done a good job; but how long can he keep his promises? There is only so long he can fulfil the needs of his supporters and still please the once powerful aristocrats who own the mines.
                  For now, the feeling on Dynasis is that of general calm, the atoll being untouched by the political chaos which has engulfed the rest of the planet. Workers are mostly satisfied with Jarl's progress, and the aristocrats now have little power to change things. There have been talks of a plot by the noble classes to dispose of Jarl, but such rumours can hardly be taken as fact, and further investigation is pending.

Hope you enjoyed that read folks. As you can see, we've left plenty of potential plot lines for our respective inquisitors to investigate further. Next time I'll be posting up the background to our first game, and shortly should follow the battle report.
Thanks for reading!

MEHughes.

Kaled

Quote from: MEHughes on October 15, 2011, 10:52:28 AM
I must admit, I'm somewhat disappointed by the lack of replies from you folks.
I admit I haven't read the vast majority of what you've posted, so have no real comments on the content. I just thought I'd say that replies are pretty uncommon in this sub-forum as it's usually just used as a place to report on battles/campaigns. If you've looking for constructive criticism of the worlds you've created then you might want to re-post those sections in on of the other sub-forums. The Dark Millennium sub-forum is a good place to solicit feedback on general background, or the Rules Discussion one if you want feedback on characters, equipment, and other game effects.  Also, don't forget to take lots of photos when you start playing games - people always like to see games in progress and it helps break up what could otherwise just be a wall of text, so more people are likely to read it (and reply).
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

RobSkib

I concur - I'm astounded by how prolific you have been in creating these worlds, and its a shame to have them languishing in a sub-forum. Knock together a photoshopped picture of the planet and it's place in the Carthax sector, maybe a photo or two of the models in the battle reports, and even publish the planets that you use on the Carthax wiki for everyone to view and enjoy!

As Kaled was saying though, these are great records of what you have done and experienced, but these forums are slow at the best of times, and unless there is something fairly contraversial or there are pictures (something I am guilty of!) there's not a great deal of discussion to be had apart from "yeah, looks nice." Other than this wall of text, we don't have anything really to relate to, Inquisitor is essentially a board game played with models on three dimensional terrain - the stories are great but we like to see pretty pictures... ;)

Perhaps try and include references, names and locations used in the Carthax fiction? I know I personally have found it much easier to relate with other people's fiction when it semi ties into my own (and mine theirs). Conclave gatherings in WHW in Nottingham are a great source of this, developing relationships with other people's characters has really brought the game alive for me.

It'd be a real shame to let all this hard work languish though, and you should really think about making some nice summaries and posting them up to the Carthax wiki as some living, breathing planets and people.
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.