Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Most Gratuitous Abuse

Started by Gnaeus Conlitor, August 01, 2009, 05:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Sargoth

Quote from: precinctomega on September 09, 2009, 04:08:35 PM
The Firm?

R.

That implies two men who talk like this....

'Mr Rope, is 'e talking about us?'

'I think not, Mr Liche. A shame, perhaps. We are noted for our talents for... ahem, well, let's just say "pest control", eh?'

'You mean all them murders?'

'Indeed I did, Mr Liche. And, of course, that unfortunate business with the aardvark.'
One More Hit - A tale of addiction.

precinctomega

"Is 'e ---ing talking about us, Mr Pin?"

"Unlikely, Mr Tulip.  No one else knows about the aardvark."

R.

Inquisitor Sargoth

Well, it may also be Croup and Vandemar, Burke and Hare, Kidd and Wint....
One More Hit - A tale of addiction.

psycho

lol anyway,
the last game i GM'd was a disaster!!!!
My gamers (all swedes that take power gaming too seriously if you ask me) brought
3 space marines, 2 eldar farseers and a rather nasty Daemon.
So yes, my gamers think that a good INQ game includes the 7 foot nigh killable beasties that jump from buildings and crush the lithe eldar thing below them, and 20 foot daemonic beasties that can take a mans head from his shoulders with but a glance!

so yeah ive got a power group that im leaving, as theyve all gone into DnD now.

kerby

GhouraAgur

Quote from: psycho on September 10, 2009, 05:27:33 PM...3 space marines, 2 eldar farseers and a rather nasty Daemon.  So yes, my gamers think that a good INQ game includes the 7 foot nigh killable beasties that jump from buildings and crush the lithe eldar thing below them, and 20 foot daemonic beasties that can take a mans head from his shoulders with but a glance!

so yeah ive got a power group that im leaving, as theyve all gone into DnD now.

kerby

If anything, they deserve eachother  :P

precinctomega

Hm.  D&D will clearly suit their munchkin tendencies.

In fact, now that I think about it, borrowing the RPG term "munchkin" is highly appropriate for this sort of gamer.

R.

Dust King

Yes! Munchkin is the perfect name for this sort of power gamer, I think this should become the semi-official (or depending on IQ2.0 official ;) ) term for these types. :D 

phil-o-mat

i GM`d such a group of munchkins too  >:(
they ruined nearly every game.
they made things like:
3 space marines fulfilling mission objectives in one round (they took 3-4 sprint actions and one charge action on the objetive with every single marine). i just allowed the marines because they promised that they are just for backup, filthy liars!

next mission, they startet killing every NPC on the table just because one of them had to be the villian. they were all just workers and other civilians! we played a scenario like the one out of "heavenfall" with the crazy vindicare, he haden`t even startet firing!

after the second evening i stoped playing with them and paused GMing for nearly one year before i built up another group.

Ynek

Quote from: phil-o-mat on September 12, 2009, 10:05:17 AM
startet killing every NPC on the table just because one of them had to be the villian.

I actually think that this is quite in-character for marines... But when a guy says that the uber-powerful character of uber-death is "just for backup," I would probably start to become very sceptical.

"Okay, who is he backing up?"
"The other two marines."
"Oooookay... Did I mention that the villain is working on behalf of a radical ordo astartes inquisitor, and his master has gifted him with a needle rifle loaded with X3? (one of my own creations, basically it's an inverse-toughness test toxin that causes massive damage to high-toughness characters. Space marines die (not unconscious... Die.) in 1-3 turns after initial infection.)"

Alternatively, set up 4-5 very heavy weapon emplacements along with a smattering of NPC goons around a shanty-town, which the characters must sneak/talk/bargain their way into to gain access to a particular informant/relic/waffle, then say: "This planet has turned away from the light of the emperor. Here, his word and glory are a distant and dying light. Your characters will have to be cautious. Any character identified as being an agent of the emperor will be fired upon on sight. Space marine players, with their distinctive power armour, would find it very hard to hide and would be very easily recognised, which would thus result in them being fired upon, and they would be so bogged down with fighting the enemy that the wily human player sneaks through all the commotion and steals the relic/informant/special bagel away. Or perhaps the informant flees when he hears the gunfire, or perhaps the relic is smashed by the bad guys, as they know that with the astartes coming at them, there's no way that they can win, and they decide to make sure that the relic doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

Or, you could go for the old favourite of rope-bridges and sewer tunnels, which only light/small characters can traverse safely.

Although such players are a problem, a GM should always take steps to ensure that playing such characters isn't quite as much of an advantage as some players might seem to think.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."