Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Conclave / Carthax Sector wiki?

Started by Kaled, September 29, 2011, 05:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Signed up. Could I have a page for my velterax sector and subsectors.
Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

Kaled

Sure, just add a link under 'Neighbouring Sectors' and then create whatever you need.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

It would seem fair enough. I've dropped it into the Neighbouring Sectors page, this link should lead you to a blank page you can start working on.

EDIT: DAMMIT! NINJA'D BY LESS THAN A GORRAM SECOND!
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Thanks, will mainly be the history chunks from my blog with other detail added infrequently
Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

MarcoSkoll

Before it comes to utter confusion and before we have too many pages to shift around and redirect, I'm wondering about page naming convention.

Firstly, should page addresses include a character's title(s), or should it be just their actual name? I'm talking about the difference between say "Inquisitor Marco Skoll" or  just "Marco Skoll".

The thing is, we should have a fixed practice, and while nearly every character has a name, not all have titles (and those that do often have odd ones, don't always use them or have several), so

Second,  extra names? "Marco Skoll" or "Marco Robert Skoll"?

A simple practice would be just a simple forename/surname system, unless there's a particular exception, but I'm fairly sure people will have objections.
Bear in mind, I'm not talking about page headers - those can certainly render a character's name as desired, and common variants could certainly be set up as redirect pages, but we should have some convention for actual page addresses.

~~~~~

Also, how do we handle Kaede Mack?

A separate page for each Kaede begs the question of how you identify each individual page - numbering them sort of seems wrong, as "Kaede Mack #1" would be easy to misconstrue as the real McCoy.

And one page for all of them would just be HUGGGGGGGEEEEEE after a while.

Or do we just put a Kaede Mack page, explain what Kaede Mack is about, then not give any individual information for any of them? Probably reasonably characterful, as it's probably nearly impossible to track down a specific Kaede reliably, but not exactly very informative for readers?

The best idea I can currently think of is a central Kaede Mack page, then separate pages for each that include the owner's name in the address - so perhaps "Kaede Mack (Marco Skoll character)", breaking it down numerically for players with more than one - which will help readers track down the right Kaede based on their associated player (pictures will be a must).
It's not entirely in character, but we have to make concessions somewhere...

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

How about a single Kaede Mack page, with an in-character intro "Kaede Mack is a known heretic, however it is assumed he must  infact several people etc etc" then individual Kaede Macks one after the other, first come first served?
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

Like I said, that'd get pretty huge, particularly if people want to add any depth to their stuff.

It might be reasonable to have a brief summary and a photo of each on the central page, but I'd certainly want to have a structure to keep the main Kaede Mack page slightly neater than a total wall of text.

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

First name last name would seem like the best option for naming pages, but I know I haven't always done that...

Why not start out with all of the Kaede Mack's on one page then start splitting them off if it gets too big? How many have we got at the moment? Is it really at the stage where the page would be huge?

MarcoSkoll

I'm not sure. It might work, but we'll have to see. Now, a couple of other things. I've been looking at the Wiki settings and two things have come up:

- We have no description in the Wiki Information. I'm not sure to what exact purpose this is put, but I've temporarily put in the following:

QuoteAn information site dedicated to Games Workshop's Inquisitor game, and the "living" Carthax Sector community setting created for it by members of the-conclave.co.uk

- We're on a Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 licence at the moment. If we're going to be on Creative Commons, I'd prefer to move it onto a Non-Commercial licence, unless anyone has a reason why we can't or shouldn't?

Also, would it be wise to hide a statement to the effect of "Miniatures design primarily Games Workshop" somewhere on the site?

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on October 01, 2011, 12:09:07 PM
- We're on a Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 licence at the moment. If we're going to be on Creative Commons, I'd prefer to move it onto a Non-Commercial licence, unless anyone has a reason why we can't or shouldn't?

Also, would it be wise to hide a statement to the effect of "Miniatures design primarily Games Workshop" somewhere on the site?
Both of those sound fine to me - I'll go check the GW site and make sure our disclaimer matches what they want us to put, and I'll add one for miniatures design too.

Kaled

Also, we've got 2GB of space so I think we can afford for people to upload their images to the site (assuming they want to) rather than just link them from Photobucket etc.

Of course, if people start uploading a large number of big files I might change my tune on that, but I think there's a 10MB limit per file anyway.

EDIT: D'oh - meant to edit my post rather than double-posting.

MarcoSkoll

If people start uploading 4 megapixel images when a small one would do, they will probably find it deleted and a cross message in their Wikispaces PMs to resize it next time.
It's not just about storage space, it's also site loading. It's likely people will want to access this via mobile internet when they're at events, so we'll want to keep it reasonably bandwidth friendly.

Also, while I've been poking at the back-site stuff, I've written us custom "Join Wiki" and "Permission Denied" pages.

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

I'll link/embed anyway - every image I post to the Wiki I would be posting here anyway, so why upload it twice?
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

It'll make keeping backups of the Wiki rather easier if any pictures are hosted there. We'll also get rather fewer broken image links.

GW's =I= articles

Necris

I've added a History of the Sector page for those events within the sector that have not had games attached to them, such as the Carthage Massacre
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog