Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Psychic nulls

Started by wargame_insomniac, August 08, 2011, 04:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DapperAnarchist

Weeeellllll.... As I recall, the Distaff were all able to be quite happy together, while normal humans and psykers couldn't stand being around too many of them (Eisenhorn apparently being a bit of an exception, presumably due to his massive willpower). So, Pariahs can put up with Pariahs. So, it might be safe to assume that a Blank or Null would simply experience no particular environmental affect from being around Pariahs or Psykers (other than things like Warp Phenomena, I guess?)
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

MarcoSkoll

That's pretty much what I did. In the canon of my own characters, the low-level psychic blank cannot perceive warp auras. While this means she just finds Pariahs to be jerks, she also doesn't get any of the other gut feelings others get when they're around areas of psychic weirdness. Which is usually a bad thing.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Ynek

On the subject of Necrons, they hate everyone and everything that lives... Which includes pariahs. The C'tan see human pariahs as useful, and use them to create Necron Pariahs, but that isn't an act of affection or indifference. It's a cruel and vindictive act done for their personal gain. The C'tan don't like pariahs any more than they do any other mortal being. (At least the ones with souls are useful for a snack...)

I agree with Marco that Enslavers, being warp entities, would be very uncomfortable around a pariah. However, I don't think it would actually cause them physical harm. An Enslaver has a physical body which is made of tangible, real matter which can exist in the materium for as long as the Enslavers want. Daemons, on the other hand, are made entirely out of warp energy. (Whether that's a daemonic spirit whizzing around a possessed brain, or a daemon manifesting a body for itself out of warp faux-matter is irrelevant - the daemon itself is just a wad of sentient warp energy in both cases.) If a daemon can stand being in the same room as a pariah, so can an Enslaver. Although, I'll be honest, I've always found the idea of a daemon being able to withstand a pariah's influence a bit stupid. A psycannon bolt contains a tiny quantity of negative psychic energy. A pariah's soul is literally MADE of negative psychic energy. Why does one hurt the daemon and the other just makes them come out with sickeningly bigheaded bravado?

A further note on daemons is that they CAN see pariahs. A pariah is a negative presence in the warp, and daemons would notice it much in the same way that a human would notice a howling void walking around... Like a little black hole. It's psychic BLANKS that daemons cannot see, as blanks have a neutral presence in the warp, or no presence at all.

As for the Tau, they are blunts, which means that they possess a very weak psychic presence in the warp, but they still have a psychic presence. They are not blanks, nulls, or pariahs themselves. (Remember the god-awful Fire Warrior game? Well, the Ethereal was killed by a blast of warp energy from the Chaos traitor Governor Severus, proving that the Tau don't have much of a psychic negativity to protect them.) The Tau therefore have a mind that is very hard to track in the warp, and very hard to influence or possess. However, if all you want to do is chuck a big ball of scary warp energy at it, it shouldn't come up against much resistance, as the Tau has got a warp presence. (Psychic positive races don't complain about 'pariah sickness' when around the Tau, and the races such as the Nicassar and Kroot, which DO have psykers, don't seem to be too put out... So the Tau can't be pariahs.)
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."