Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Eldar Warband (theorycrafting)

Started by Ramnok, October 25, 2011, 05:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramnok

I'm looking to make up an eldar warband that keeps the fun of the Inquisitor game (aka doesn't break them) and one that is unique. Here's what I had come up with so far, 2 harlequins (thinking of a normal trooper and a spirit seer) I already have my Striking Scorpion made minus a few extra details I'll be adding soon. I was also thinking the last 2 could be a dark eldar (a warrior of some kind) and an exodite (still sketchy on this last one since I've never really seen exodite eldar.)

Any suggestions on rule sets and models used would be great, I've currently got an old ruleset and it doesn't seem to be working well enough with current rules... the key here with modeling is that these eldar are female, all of them... I'm working on a story line that would bring all this cast together but I figure the Harlequins have enough pull with some craftworlds that they can requisition troops even tho most craftworlds detest them I figure there's got to be some where Harlequins have shown up to defend a craftworld from destruction.

Not going to use a Wraith Guard, not using Solitare, nor any other OP (for this game) character, really want a basic cast but unique enough to get noticed and have people ask about them.

The reason for the request is due to me not being in the game for quite some time, I've forgotten just about everything about it besides the love for the game..

Darksinger

Huh... Eldar.

I cant give much for rules, but i can say theyll be better at humans at everything, except S and T, where theyll probably be lower than your average Guardsman but above civillians.

A scorpiin will have bonuses in cover, when crawling, ect.

Harlequins... Dodge, acrobat ect. And a to hit penalty for anyonne shooting at them.

now, my main problem is this. The DARK eldar. There is nothing in the whole universe that could make regular and dark eldar work together. Nothing at all. In this regard, i will advise you to change it out for an Eldar Ranger or something.

Exodites.... Theyre just Eldar who arent trained for fighting (much) and are less technological. My suggestions would be "Use an eldar Corsair, not an exodite."

Ramnok

I was thinking of that too, there's some sweet models from FW that I can use as visual aids for some Inquisitor models I get...

In past incarnations I had an enslaved dark eldar as someone who worked for the spirit seer, using rules to make him a puppet he had rules where if he rolled 2-23 to 80-100 he goes berserk and tries to lash out at the nearest ally...

He was fun but eventually I decided I wanted to remake my models in 54mm... So far the scorpion was a blast to make and with the rest I will probably use a pirate, 2 harle 2 eldar, hmmm would a Jetbike be op?

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Ramnok on October 26, 2011, 02:19:42 AMWould a Jetbike be op?
One problem with Jetbikes (and part of the reason I'm excluding them from my own NPC Aspect Warrior project) is that they're really too fast for such a small table.

One side of the table... whoosh... other side of the table... whoosh... upstairs bathroom... whoosh... next door's garden.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Ramnok

understandable, any suggestions on the other eldar? I've been trying to search through the codex finding something and nada's come up I want to stay away from a ranger character as he's over used (at least in my gaming circles)

The Scorpion is almost done and I had tons of fun making her, next only logical one would be a banshee.. Check out the painting and modeling sub forum for my Striking scorpion.

I may pick up another sevora/severina boxed set for more eldar, was thinking an NPC Bonesinger for some campaigns..

Darksinger

Hmm... An enslaved Dark Eldar? How didthat happen? Im ppretty sure a dark eldar would slit his own throat when he goes bezerk, rather than attack the nearest ally.Dark eldar are ruthless savage and dont take kindly to being held as slaves.

With a replacement in mind... A banshee would be OP. Considering they all have power  weapons, and theyd have crazy bonuses for charging. I think your best bet would be a Dire avenger, or a guardian. If its cc your after, prehaps a storm guardian or even, as a leader, a Warlock.

If you do use a warlock, remember that thier powers arel readily available, withput the need to tap paticularily far into the warp. So to represent tha, all warlock powers should be cast as Wyrd powers.

InquisitorHeidfeld

The levels you're looking at in this regard are probably on a par with having an Astartes battle squad as a warband...
Harlequins are devastatingly powerful on the attack and while they might be something of a glass cannon their speed alone is likely to cause problems in an Inquisitor game... Not to mention the profusion of mind-blowing grenades they'll use (they're normally used for performance so there's no compunction against their use - I'd be expecting more than half a dozen per turn from that sized group... And with their speed that becomes another problem through the risky action system).

Why would an Aspect Warrior (and one in power armour no less) be travelling with Harlequins? Why would an Exodite?
(I'm not even going to go near the Dark Eldar)
While I seem to remember something about Harlequins visiting both sides (they're relatively safe from the Dark Eldar because their souls have no value to Slaanesh (He/she/it doesn't get those of the troopers or seers and he/she/it always gets the souls of Solitaires...)) but they shouldn't be treated as halfway between the two - they're a third party with their own goals.

Kaled

I'd think about doing eldar from paths that haven't yet appeared elsewhere. For example, we've seen warriors, seers, bonesingers, rangers and pirates, so why not look at doing something different? Off the top of my head, how about a trader, explorer, archaeologist, minstrel, or starship officer? It'd give you a chance to flex your artistic muscles and do something original.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Ramnok

Well The Eldar Pirate I had ideas to flex my muscles on but I wanted to try to stick close to the codex, maybe those new spectres from forgeworld? tho they would be op huh... Damn you eldar and your epicly epicness...

That Navis Nobils model is just begging to be converted into eldar... So I must submit... lol.

As for the Dark Eldar slave he's only kept at the most basic brain functions, when he went berserk it was like a sudden rush of his psyche overloading his brain... It worked amongst my former gaming group but that was awhile back.

I've not seen all these eldar warbands, are there any links to that specifically? I've been looking around but only found a select hand full of models from this forum.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: InquisitorHeidfeld on October 26, 2011, 01:44:29 PMWhy would an Aspect Warrior (and one in power armour no less)
I'm not sure about older sources, but I've just checked my 3rd and 4th Ed Eldar codices and I'm pretty sure that Scorpion Armour is not powered. Sure, it's heavier than most Eldar armour (hence no Fleet rule in 40k), but a 3+ save alone does not power armour make.

(Yes, they used to be S4 in 3rd Ed, but that was said to be their own physical strength.)

GW's =I= articles

Kaled

Quote from: Ramnok on October 26, 2011, 05:10:46 PM
Well The Eldar Pirate I had ideas to flex my muscles on but I wanted to try to stick close to the codex,
My argument against that would be that the primary focus of the codex is the eldar going to war, and Inquisitor is not really about the war on the battlefields of the 41st millennium.  Inquisitor focuses on the shadowy secret wars behind the scenes - which is part of the reason Heidfeld suggested that your warband may be overpowered as you're starting with archetypes designed to stand up to Astartes, Orks, Necrons etc.

Rather than looking at the codex itself I'd suggest good places to look for inspiration are the little sidebars in rulebooks, White Dwarf, codices etc, or the characters you see hanging around in the background of artwork and novels.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Ramnok

I'll take a look, My striking scorpion as of right know using the old rules posted on warseer she's got a max of 80 in a point and she's pretty fragile. I've checked out a few stats of other units and they are comparable.

I'll look around tho and show you all what I have lined up when I find some things.

I'm pretty set on using the Navis Nobilitai

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat490043a&prodId=prod1110261

Hopefully I can figure something out.

Anyone have some fluff sources on the seedier side of the eldar?

MarcoSkoll

As a not entirely sarcastic suggestion, how about as using the Navigator as a Navigator?

Inquisitor is designed as a primarily Imperium centric game, with pretty much nine out of ten of the models made for the scale being human (or easily convertable, like the Eldar Ranger), so it would hardly be a daft idea to have at least some Imperial strings (not including Space Marines!) to your bow.

In any case, I really don't recommend using it here. It's not easy to convincingly convert masculine models to look female. The usual result (and no offence to your skills, I've done the same) is usually closer to a drag queen - it takes far more than just adding large breasts to do the job properly.

GW's =I= articles

Ramnok

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1743.0

There she is, hope I did well enough... aaanyhow, I am going to revise my warband and perhaps use an imperial agent... but again I'm only testing the idea on you all to see how it works..

So here's the cast of the warband as I saw it.

Korvah of the Black Library, Spirit Seer. (Its a spiritseer from the black library... His motives are as mysterious as any inquisitors...) He originally started his quest with the appearance of Inquisitor Zephyr Bloodhilt. The Inquisitor's charge was to find the Atlas Infernal and in hearing such a thing the Spirit Seer set a plan in motion to retrieve the Atlas by following the Inquisitor. Eventually he gathered together the Eldar in his group currently. He still keeps tabs on the Inquisitor yet he has found nothing on it yet.

Vree the Black Corsair, Eldar Pirate. He was formerly from the Craftworld Kaelor but left when his kin refused to help their brothers and sisters. Has Shuriken Catapault, A Curved Poison Blade, Void Cloak (like a cameleoline cloak.) Shuriken Pistol (for backup) maybe Grenades depending on the scenario... He Uses the same stats as a black storm guardian

Celestia of Ibraesil, Striking Scorpion. Participated in previous campaigns with imperials and won a sacred relic of her aspect shrine, Scorpions Claw, has shuriken pistol attachment and Grenades. She met the Spirit Seer when his troupe visited her Craftworld. He spoke with her after the performance, giving her insight on what her path could be and showing her that her talents are better used outside of her beloved home.

and finally...

Shin'ta the Eidolon from Saim-Hann. Web of Skulls, Banshee Mask, Wraithbone Katana (poisoned), Shuriken Pistol. In a previous campaign she lost her powersword when it fell with a tech priest into the abyss of a Hive Spire. She often uses the Web of Skulls as a primary type weapon, becoming very fond of it when it killed a chaos cultist outright with a suffocating blow to the neck. She enjoys the brutality of the weapon.

Ramnok

comments would be welcome, also I really am not vibing with all the, "an all eldar warband cant be in Inquisitor" that everyone is throwing at me, I figured the love and passion of the game would be shared by fellow gamers.. eh... oh well