Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Weapon and Character rule question

Started by The D Void, November 16, 2011, 01:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The D Void

Hi guys, I plan to have in my warband a Storm Trooper Sniper and have
been looking for rules for a Storm Trooper for a while, are there any out
there? If not I think i could make one using a combination of stats from
the drill abbot and veteran guardsman.
I also have been hunting round for rules for hellguns/hell pistols and
Hot-Shot Lasguns/Pistols. One of my favorite Black Library books,
Redemption Corps, makes referance to Storm Troopers having access to
Sniper Rifle Varients of these weapons aswell, has anyone got any idea if
there are any rules for these.
Unfocused Minds will wander in Dark Places

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: The D Void on November 16, 2011, 01:01:05 AMHi guys, I plan to have in my warband a Storm Trooper Sniper and have been looking for rules for a Storm Trooper for a while, are there any out there?
Yes, although personally, I think it's not the strongest of the Fanatic Online articles.

But before we go any further, it's probably time to give you the standard talk we give most of the newcomers about statlines.

Most of us veterans have concluded that the statline generators in the back of the book aren't the best way to play the game. Quite aside from the common argument about "The dice don't know how good a swordsman your character should be", these generators make characters with lots of high stats, which takes a lot of the element of chance out of the game.

It becomes something of a foregone conclusion of what's going to happen if a BS 90 marksman with a boltgun takes aim and fires, which means the game immediately becomes less exciting.
Sure, it might technically be "balanced" if everyone is equally over the top in their stats and equipment, but the result of combats usually boils down to "who's getting their actions first", which isn't very fun.

So, we mostly suggest using lower stats than the ones in the back of the rulebook, instead using the descriptions near the start of the rulebook as a guide - it's discussed at more length here.
You can also, if you do like random generators, look at the "Giving Birth to a Monster" article. The other tables it refers to can be found here.

As far as weapons, I'll point you at my own Revised Armoury. It's still a work in progress and has long been waiting for the next update, but I have to pretend I have more important things in my life than penning supplements for decade old wargames.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles