Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Inquisitor Nikolas Stauffenburgh (and his Warband)

Started by Darksinger, November 20, 2011, 08:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darksinger

Inquisitor Nikolas Stauffenburgh, Ordo Xenos
WS     BS      S      T      I       WP      SG     NV      LD
56      63      58    57    69     61       84     65      72  

Nikolas is Right Handed

Special Rules- Medic, Xenologist, Partially Ambidextrous, Rock Steady Aim

Xenologist: Nikolas has had many decades of practice dealing with aliens- and Dissecting them. He has a deep knowledge of vital points, where the chinks in the armour are and so on, and can adjust his aim accordingly. He may modify his hit location by 10 in either Direction, against Orks, Tau, Kroot, Hrud, Nekulli, and Tyranids.

Partially Ambidextrous: Nikolas has trained himself to use his left hand as well as his right for menial task, and eventually the ability has edged into the area of Combat. The penalty for using his off hand is now only -10%.

Wargear- Monomolecular Bone Saw, Mid Magnum Revolver (2 clips of Caustic Ammunition), Medikit, Flak Armour (3 points of armour, all locations except head), Lab Coat (Allows the concealment of 1 basic, pistol or melee weapon up to the length of a mans arm), Biologis Eyepeice

Monomolecular Bone saw: A bone saw is a Serrated Short sword, with a -20% parry Penalty. The Monomolecular edge gives it a +1 damage bonus, and allows it to ignore 1/3 or the targets armour.

Caustic Ammunition: Designed to explode into a highly corrosive liquid on contac, Caustic ammunition is rare nd effective against armour. However, its impact damage is reduced somewhat from the lack of actual hitting power.
In the Mid Magnum Revolver, The Bullets do 2D6 damage, and half the damage dealt is instead dealt to armour, which is treated as ablative.

Biologis Eyepiece: The Eyepiece is designed to give Nikolas an accurate reading of damage done to his subjects. It grants anyone Nikolas is treating using his abilitys and wargear a +10 bonus to thier recovery Checks

Background- Nikolas was Born on the hive world Promixis, in Alpha Hive. The Son of a respectful Scientist, he was all set to follow in his fathers footsteps- in fact, many belive he was set to outshine him, possessed with a high IQ. Nikolas was quite pleased with himself, and upon attaining his Doctorate, he began to study Xenology. Heaped with work after the Orkish invasion the year beforehand, Nikolas began his dissections and studys at once.

Eventually, his knowledge of Orkish atonamy grew somewhat, and he drew the attention of Inquisitor Esiphas. Esiphas took Nikolas abord his ship, the Thunderchild, which to Nikolas's great surprise was crewed mainly by Ork Freebootas. Esiphas, after managing to convince Nikolas to hear him out, explained his views on Xenokind, and offered Nikolas the chance to study and treat live orks, along with other aliens in his employ. Nikolas, ever thirsty for Knowledge, agreed.

So passed his years, Learning many a new thing, Untill Esiphas passed Nikolas on to another Alien sympathiser, Inquisitor Darius Managlin. Darius Provided Nikolas fresh species to work on, Hrud, Nekulli, Kroot, Dead Tyranids and occasionally, Darius would Bring in a Wounded Demiurgh, a contact of his. Darius took Nikolas as an Acolyte, and he began to take a more active role in Darius's work.

Darius came across a wounded and Unconcious Eldar Ranger, some point after the Trial of Inquisitor Kain, and placed Her into Nikolas's Care. Nikolas took her back on board Darius's Ship, and treated her back to full health. Raterh Surprised by this, Shayllis thanked Nikolas for his aid. She  recognised something different to humanity about him, a spark of intelligence and eagerness to learn about the cosmos rather than to conquer. She bagan to aid Nikolas, finding herself making a faint Friendship.

Eventually, Nikolas became a full Inquisitor, much to his surprise as he recollected himself and thought back on his origins. With teh Support of Esiphas, Darius, and another two Ordo Xenos Inquisitors who'm Nikolas had aided on many an occasion, He rose to full status, and was presented with a ship, The Solar Owl, and he set off to fuffil his thirst for Knowledge.

Kaled

Quote from: Darksinger on November 20, 2011, 08:38:03 PM
Xenologist: Nikolas has had many decades of practice dealing with aliens- and Dissecting them. He has a deep knowledge of vital points, where the chinks in the armour are and so on, and can adjust his aim accordingly. He may modify his hit location by 15 in either Direction, against all alien Creatures.
Knowing the spot to hit and being able to hit it are two different things. A Deadeye Shot is someone who can fire a shot with startling precision picking out weak points etc and they can add or subtract 10%. I can accept that this guy might know the spot to hit, but could he really hit it and get a better bonus when doing so than an expert marksman. His WS shows him to be competent and his BS is excellent but I'm not sure either is good enough to justify this skill.

As for his background, I'd say that level of xenological scientific knowledge would be the domain of the Mechanicus rather than some hive scientist.
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

To add to Kaled's point, there are innumerable Xeno species, each with wildly different anatomy.
If you think about it, that means he'd understand the biology of every species (including those he can't possibly have met yet) except the small minority that originate from Earth!

Quotetreat all armour as Albative.
The rulebook only gives that rule to Gauss technology, so it seems any lesser technology (which is most, to be fair) would only be an echo of it.

I can't really see a spray of corrosive acids eating away the entirety of a carapace chest plate in a single shot, as it's 50/50 likely to do at the moment. It might eat smaller holes in it and partially compromise its protective integrity, but that's not what your rules currently represent.

I'd tone it back. Maybe a bit more damage, but probably only half that to armour - that's still pretty aggressive, so I'd probably make firing it a Hazardous action. After all, if the chemicals can chew through any kind of armour with such efficiency, then they've got to be equally capable of turning the gun firing it into a pile of soup as well. (Firing bullets ain't exactly gentle to them!)

Also, it doesn't come across as very rare if it's his standard loadout (and quite plentifully so) with no other spare ammunition. Does he seriously use it on every last hive punk he comes across, even when standard ammunition would be more effective - not to mention more plentiful and cheaper?

Lastly, the circular reasoning department would like a word with you about this gem:
QuoteHowever, its hitting power is reduced somewhat from the lack of actual hitting power.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Darksinger

I forget, most people here dont know much about our sector...

Promixis hive is the medical and xenology centre of the subsector, the nearby mechanicus having very little Xenos Biologis. TheFather is, additionally, The nearest Main Xenoscience centre is half a sector away, so These people at this centre have been accumilating Xeno data for generations.

As for his bonus... Ill drop it to 10%. That means its essentially Deadeye shot against aliens alone.  Come to think of it, Ill make it a list of the species he's had a poke at. That'll make it both more blanced and Characterful.

AS for the Bullets... Well pretty much every playtest i've put it through pointed them towards being pretty balanced. But if you think otherwise...

And sorry about the Duh. I was tired.

Darksinger

Shayllis Arakunay
Ws      Bs       S     T      I        Wp       Sg       Nv      Ld
45       89      47   46    78     63        61       64       52

Special Rules: Deadeye Shot, Suvivor, Lightning Reflexes.

Wargear: Needle Rifle (2 clips of Bloodfire Needles), Shuriken Pistol (3 ammunition Cores), Katana (Sword, but with +1 damage), Ranger Armour (3 points, all locartions except head), Nightvision Headpiece (1 pt of head armour, and has optional night vision settings.), 2 x Smoke Grenades

(Just as a general question, are there rules for Shuriken pistols? If not, ill try and work somee, if there are, please share them. Either way, Itll have to wait till ive got more time.)