Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Summer Conclave 2012 - 15th September - Kaede Mack Conspiracy

Started by RobSkib, January 16, 2012, 12:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez

The event went well and was enjoyable although I noticed that my usual bad luck was back in spades, with my characters doing some fairly epic fails during the event (such as my Eldar blowing herself up with her own plasma grenade).

The main, final battle looked amazing and its a shame that I didn't get to participate (or even watch much of it) as we ended up spending a lot of time ineffectually squabbling over control of the teleportation device in an attempt to reach the main board.

Regarding the flame weapon it was a bit on the extreme side, although you were also lucky in the number of hits you rolled, had she not been equipped with a power field then you'd probably have killed her outright. The biggest issue that I think I had was the rules for the flame damage for the one still burning location on her arm, although she wasn't actually that badly injured ( a lot of light injury levels to arms, abdomen and one heavy injury to the head) I had no chance to recover as another 3d6 damage took her straight over her consciousness value. With less damage there she might have been able to survive and then it would have been a race to see who would recover first between my Eldar and your battle sister.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Koval on September 16, 2012, 05:06:18 PM-Is the lady in #10 Maya Avens?
Yes, Maya was present, and was helluva lot more effective than last time I took her to an event (which involved her accidentally blowing up a room in one game, and passing out by about turn 2 in the other, only achieving one minor psychic suggestion for the full game). This time around, she only rolled up one risky action (at least, where she actually got far enough through her actions to fail it) and not one Wp test failed.

The Battle Sister was the inverse really, a lot less effective than last time around. Overall, I think I'm going to need to be less considerate about how I use her when she's actually got the Ecclesiarchy warband to fight alongside, as she's not quite as formidable as you might imagine unless she does go in full-throttle.

But despite Maya's effectiveness, I think the man of the match goes to Kai for off-handedly hauling our informant straight out of the middle of a three way confrontation and laying down his own covering fire as he did so.

Quote from: Cortez on September 16, 2012, 06:10:52 PMRegarding the flame weapon it was a bit on the extreme side, although you were also lucky in the number of hits you rolled, had she not been equipped with a power field then you'd probably have killed her outright.
This is quite likely the case, but when you consider I had to:
- not fail my risky action (statistically, counting both fives and sixes for this has relatively little effect on whether the first action is risky, it mostly changes the risks later through the turn, so I had about a 20% chance of failing here).
- pass my psychic test (on a reduced Wp due to the earlier overload, so 35% chance of failing)
- get very lucky on the number of hit rolls (obviously, 1 in 6 to get the full 7)
- actually hit with those rolls (another 20% chance of failing each)
- and the powerfield (assuming it was 2D6) had a 10% chance of stopping hits outright.

What happened was a fairly slim chance, as I had about a 50% chance of doing absolutely no damage at all, with most of that percentage resulting in Maya's brains getting further toasted to various degrees, and further chance of only fairly minor damage.
I'm not saying it doesn't need reconsideration, but you very definitely ended up on the receiving end of one of the biggest extremes of what that psychic power is capable of.

I'll certainly be re-approaching them in the RIA - probably a damage reduction but gaining Heavy AP - but may look at seeing if I can do some kind of rules review on the flame and full auto weapons as well.
Of course, I can't guarantee uptake on either the RIA or any variant rules I might write, but it may help.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

Bloodpact

Quote from: RobSkib on September 16, 2012, 03:01:40 PM

C: Jim GMing, Explicator Reinhard, Eldar chap, Inquisitor Ramirez

The infiltration was all going smoothly until Sgt Rose shone his lamp-pack in the wrong direction, alerting Reinhardts party and a good old fashioned stand-off began, with plenty of Ordos based threats being bandied around. Whilst this was going on, the giant Kroot beast obviously smelled fresh meat, and charged across the warehouse bellowing. Sgt Rose lost his nerve completely and loosed several shotgun rounds in its direction before diving into a shipping crate to avoid sharp-beaked doom!

Reinhardt and his party, reacting to the gunfire immediately ran towards the action, setting off a motion sensor and tripping the security system, triggering both the alarm, and the multi-melta toting security servitor. The Eldar party beat a swift retreat, using the Kroot beast to smash through a wall and escape with some suspicious looking jewellery. Ramirez and Sgt Rose backed off in the face of superior numbers, but not before Reinhardts trusted henchman, Baiden, had been fairly seriously wounded by storm bolter fire. A blast from the Servitors melta missed Henchman Grinn by a hairs breadth, and destoyed a shipping crate on the bottom of a stack, leaving the rest of that pile teetering ominously. Whilst seeking to get out of the line of fire, Explicator Reinhardt discovered a wall-mounted shipping manifest terminal, and after some ham-fisted hacking, managed to retrieve information regarding suspicious shipments from a high-ranking Inquisitrix, and armed with this information, and with Arbites units closing in on thier location, beat a hasty retreat into the night...

Quote from: RobSkib on September 16, 2012, 03:01:40 PM

This might well be my new signature!
Repent! For tomorrow you burn!

MarcoSkoll

In that same vein, I shall narrate the basic course of the game I ran. I didn't take enough notes or photos to make a decent report out of it, but it's something to read anyway.

Quote from: RobSkib on September 16, 2012, 03:01:40 PM(Port Precipice Mutant Gang rules) Marco GMing, Rogue Trader Varteg, Inquisitor Ramirez, Inquisitor Angstrom
Rauridh: Rogue Trader Varteg, Navigator Abhinavha Hercule-Tafoni, Ork Hunter Curtis Khar
Jim: Inquisitor Angstrom, Acolyte Nexa Gari
Adrian: Inquisitor Ramirez, Sgt Rose

Our three warbands all entered the scene looking to capture a turncoat agent (or so they were told) of the Mack conglomerate - although they had all been lead to believe their objectives were different), a situation somewhat complicated by the fact that the co-ordinates they had correlated to a mutant gang war, two scavvy gangs beating the snot out of each other for whatever reasons they might have had.
With no better information, the warbands had to assume that Kaede Mack was using this confusion as cover, and they thus had to identify their target in amongst the dirtily robed scavvies.

Inquisitor Angstrom's attempts to use his auspex to identify Kaede Mack failed miserably when the esoteric psi-tracker spat various garbage at him. His acolyte Nexa Gari attempted to grab and interrogate one of the scavvies for questioning, but was rewarded for her efforts by the stinking mutant trying to clout her using his heavy stubber as a club and was thus held up until she stopped trying to pistol whip him and just shot him instead.

So, it was Rogue Trader Varteg who was first to spot Kaede Mack in amongst the gang war, but his attempts to double back and inform his comrades allowed Kaede to be spooked by the arrival of Inquisitor Ramirez and Sgt. Rose, darting for a nearby building, clambering up the ruins to find cover.

Having lost Kaede Mack in amongst the confusion, he ran around the fringes of the combat to try and find him again, but unfortunately failed to avoid the attentions of the huge scavvy brute who'd just finished off a rival sniper on top of a nearby building.
More fortunately, it let out a raucous roar before it leapt, giving Varteg enough time to not be in the space the giant blade came down through... but his revved up chainsword to be very much in the space the massive mutant landed in, cutting it clean in half from hip to shoulder.

Having heard Inquisitor Angstrom yell something that definitely included the name "Kaede Mack", Inquisitor Ramirez got himself into a fight with the axe armed scavvy blocking his way.
Nexa and Sgt. Rose got themselves into a bit of a gun fight, Rose taking the smart move to find cover as bolts were exploding in the wall next to him. It turned out the best cover nearby happened to be a large scavvy rolling around with a pistol wound in his gut, Sgt Rose blasting the mutant in the face with his shotgun before hunkering down behind its corpse - something a nearby scavvy from the other gang took as a sign of aid and attempted to charge down Nexa in assistance.

It was about this point that Curtis Khar was making good use of his chainfist, barrelling into a fight between two mutants who didn't seem very capable of finishing each other off, and doing the job for both of them.
Behind him, Abhinavha was the first to relocate Kaede Mack, spotting him descending the building's stairs to meet with Inquisitor Angstrom's offer of aid.

As Angstrom discussed his credentials with Kaede Mack, Sgt Rose made a very clumsy attempt to enter the building while Nexa was occupied, but only narrowly avoiding impaling himself on the broken masonry.
Disappointed with his underling's performance, Inquisitor Ramirez brought his fight with the axe-armed, and evidently very nimble, mutant to an end with a skull-crushing blow from his power fist, striding after the Sgt.

Nexa injured the mutant she was fighting with a sword blow, giving her enough time to break from the fight and rejoin her master, being lead by Kaede Mack along the route that he insisted that they would have to escape down - the one past Varteg and his allies.

Her master collapsed as a brief lapse in his psychic focus overloaded his mind, and she was forced to take the fore - however, her bolt pistol backed threat did not intimidate Abhinavha in the slightest.
It was, at this point that the cluster forming of Varteg, his allies and Nexa proved all too tempting for Kaede, who saw an opportunity for him to rid himself of several of the individuals hunting the conglomerate, lobbing a frag grenade into their midst by way of distraction. However, the tactic was not entirely effective, and Sgt Rose was just about on time, having finally successfully made his way through the building, to see Nexa catch up with the escaping Kaede and haul him from the scene, pursued by Varteg...

~~~~~

I may have messed up a slight detail or two, as I completely forgot to take any notes. I shall link in some of my pictures at a more sensible time of day.

I tried to play it a little differently to the brief, so rather than having Kaede instigating the mass inter-warband combat as was the original scenario brief, I instead had him trying to draw the player characters in to be collateral damage of the mutant gang war.
His plan didn't work hugely well, as it turned out that while the mutants were freakishly good at making their dodge rolls in combat, this was countered by them being equivalently useless at hitting the player characters.

I'd like to hope my on-the-fly rewriting of the scenario still provided a game of worth. Everyone got to foil Kaede Mack's plans by kicking the snot out of a load of mutants, which can't be a bad thing.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles