Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Rogue Trader Verona St. Croix

Started by Van Helser, January 16, 2012, 04:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Helser

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

I don't know where it went wrong with this model, but what I thought was an excellent concept turned into a mediocre conversion that just never looked right.  The foil cape is the last I'll ever make - it just never had a natural flow to it (I've had more success recently with milliput); the model itself has such a dull pose; she's ended up with a bizarre lean to the right; the sleeves are too bulky...  I could go on.

So, the model's nowhere near my best, and as a result had avoided paint for many, many months.  I have however made a promise to myself to paint more models before starting any more (a rule broken too many times!), so I decided to try and expand on my painting abilities and do something I've never done before: Non-metallic metal.  I plumped for gold, found this tutorial and went for it.

It was a good learning experience, but has shown up my lack of blending abilities, especially around the breastplate, which is lacking in depth almost entirely.  The legs look okay, as does the pendant on the tabard.  I am especially happy with how the combi-weapon turned out though.  I wonder if the techniques in that tutorial weren't really transferable to the larger areas of a 54mm figure - it was advocating some very sharp highlighting, and perhaps I would have turned out better with more time spent on the deeper colours.

The rest of the model was done quickly to a minimal standard. 

Thoughts?  Anyone have any sage advice regarding NMM techniques or know of better articles to read?

Ruaridh

Alyster Wick

While I will agree with you that certain aspects of the model are rather pedestrian when compared to your other work I think that the NMMs came out great, especially in the plasma gun. Yes, the broader surfaces could use some love but the more detailed areas really stand out. I would definitely copy those techniques on models that have more detailed metal surfaces.

Van Helser

Thanks for the reply.

I am definitely looking forward to trying these techniques out again, and who knows, if it's on a model I'm even slightly more enamoured by, it might look great.

I'm sorely tempted to tear the gun off and stick it on another model after it turned out so well...

Ruaridh

RobSkib

I like the sword, it's an effect I've never been able to do. I have to agree though, it's hard to appreciate the nice NMM (on the gun especially) on a model with lots of open space. Something with more ornate armour, or less flat surface areas would be good. Like you said, it came out really nicely on the smaller fiddly parts.

I'd like to see who's going to end up with that gun, though ;)
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.