Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Path to Ilithyia (Autumn 'clave prep)

Started by greenstuff_gav, August 13, 2011, 12:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenstuff_gav

so, with The Autumn Conclave 2011 approaching fast, i thought it a good time to start a new crew for it  ::)
hopefully posting here will help me get this one ready.. otherwise Ro will have to go :lol:

now, i've been amassing a Chaosy-style freakshow / circus to use as NPCs / badguys for a while and wanted a Beastmaster Wyrd to go with it; a variety of wild and wonderful creatures psychically herded along :)

so, in an attempt to kill two birds with one stone, i thought i would start with an earlier incarnation of this character; a lowly wyrd wandering along on his own; not utilising his full range of talents and without the circuses collection of beasts.
now, having picked up the Arachanrok very cheaply when it first came out, Bloodpacts' use of one at the GT put me off slightly, i'd need to find another use for it :)

so, rummaging throughout the mass of unassembled 54mm figures, i came across SteveBs Eolith Frankenstein, originally slated for use in the circus as a Strong Man... so i requisitioned him for use as the Wyrd :)
out came the Spider Box and ideas began forming :D

The larger spiders would be used as "henchmen"; maybe armed with Webbers and a poisoned unarmed attack :)
the large spider (from Heresy Miniatures) maybe another henchman or not used.

the interesting idea that has spawned is the use of the teeny tiny spiders as counters. I'm thinking he can accrue spider tokens (almost like Power Dice in WHFB or Mana Gems in Confrontation) in game and sacrifice X amount to gain abilities (from wall climbing to absorbing incoming fire) representing them aiding him.
now, they're going on the smallest bases i have (20mm ... 40k is 25mm), but i'm not sure if i should base them to match or leave them blank to show that they're counters and not interacted with in game.. suggestions are welcome!
here's a scale shot of the spiders / bases :)

so, while i mull over the little spiders, i've begun the process of beastmaster-ing up the monster :)
i debated using the mini as is because it's a fantastic figure and not a typical beastmaster (ala Necromunda), but decided to recreate some of their trademark items (the fur cloaks, staff etc).
i started to resculpt the face, but decided against and simply added an eye patch; the stitched flesh and torn up face add to the miniatures character; as a witch, he must have had some close encounters :)

apart from some pouches, a staff and maybe a fang necklace, a variety of wildlife will accompany him (a mouse and a spider atleast!) on some junk i've yet to add to his base :)

so, there's where i am, comments & suggestions are welcome :D
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

precinctomega

Great start, Gav!  I love the resculpting on the Monster.  He'll make a great outcast Wyrd to accompany the spider hordes.

R.

Heroka Vendile

The levels of arachnid in this warband make me kinda glad I can't make the autumn 'clave, after what happened the last time I met one on the Inquisitor field of battle... *shudder*
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

greenstuff_gav

thankfully (?) the giant spider won't be making it :)

the Wyrd (i need to come up with more info... like a name... soon :P ) has had more work :)

i couldn't make a staff i liked, so went with the whip; it'll look more appropriate with his proper menagerie... this is also present in the variety of critters smattered around :)

i've yet to add the stitching to the replaced fingers and yet.. still cant quite put my finger on what he's missing :(
maybe a folded down hood / rat tail on the fur jacket...

i also received a horde of tiny bases from Heresy Miniatures today :D

the actual companion spiders have had paintwork; the webber-armed one (far left) is based off a Funnel Web Spider, while the far right (WHQuest Spider) is based off a Mouse Spider :)
all i need now is one more tiny spider and then the counters are ready for paintwork... not going to base them so that they're more identifiable as counters and not characters :)

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

This is one of the most outside the box warbands I have seen in a very long time.

It's a shame it's not practical to have a whole horde of little skittering arachids and rodents, because I could just see him striding along amongst a teeming mass of tiny creatures. Their ammunition spent on the endless pests, his foes can only scream and flail as the scrabbling mass washes over them to bite, claw and devour.

Very cool antagonist material.

Of course, that might be how you see it anyway, but just don't have enough spare rats and spiders to put that many on the table. (Probably a good thing though, it could be a bit slow to move that many around in game...)
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

greenstuff_gav

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 18, 2011, 01:18:49 AM
Of course, that might be how you see it anyway, but just don't have enough spare rats and spiders to put that many on the table. (Probably a good thing though, it could be a bit slow to move that many around in game...)
pretty much :)

instead i'm thinking along the lines of;

Psychic test as per normal (WP)
if passed, can choose ONE effect:

Summon 1 Spider Token
Summon 1 Spider Minion (Webber or knife with Bloodfire Toxin). Sacrifice 3 Spider Tokens.
Gain ability to move across any terrain feature, in any direction, without penalty. Sacrifice 2 Spider Tokens.
Gain D6 ablative armour to all locations. Each Hit received removes 1 Spider Token.
WS +20. Sacrifice 1 Spider Token.

of course, more suggestions are welcome :)

Build Your Imagination

greenstuff_gav

so, slight update, been painting the wyrd (who i still need to name)

slightly standard browns on the go, angry red burn marks around where his face was burned off by a Hot Shot Las round :)

still hunting around for a few more tiny spiders and maybe a couple larger ones for summoning :)

Build Your Imagination

MarcoSkoll

If you're not adverse to other vermin, I'd suggest either the Skaven Rodents of Unusual Size or the Rat swarms.

Quote(who i still need to name)
Keith. Or perhaps "Sir Lord Toff Posh Poncington-Toff" and he insists on always being addressed by his full title.

S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

JoelMcKickass

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on August 23, 2011, 11:00:09 PM
If you're not adverse to other vermin, I'd suggest either the Skaven Rodents of Unusual Size or the Rat swarms.

Quote(who i still need to name)
Keith. Or perhaps "Sir Lord Toff Posh Poncington-Toff" and he insists on always being addressed by his full title.

I second this motion. If i see this chap at Ilithyia, none of my fellows will be able to describe why they call him Sir Lord Toff Posh Poncington-Toff, but they will think the name fits.

greenstuff_gav

so, Here's the character sheet & rules and here's an updated pic (click for bigger)

a boring paintjob on the tokens, but they're only for keeping count & shouldn't detract from the warband ;)

once i've got some spraypaint i'll be reworking the big spider into a brown-ish scheme to fit the rest of the crew :)

Build Your Imagination

greenstuff_gav

*blows dust of thread*
so, with the GT approaching, i done some work as a backup :)

Build Your Imagination

Dolnikan

The spiders look good, very creepy, I especially like their variety.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Heroka Vendile

oh god, not another Arachnarok. I didn't fair too well against an NPC one last year.
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

RobSkib

I know a man who would like to turn them into a fine pair of boots :)

I can't help but feel there's something missing from the group - perhaps some cobwebs, or poor cocooned victims? I know you've mentioned why already, but I think the wee spiders deserve a similar basing technique to their bigger brothers. You said you use them as swarm tokens, but with the addition of the baseless spideys, I think you should either de-base them and just use them loose, like mummy spider, or base them to match Emryd himself. At the moment, they don't seem to cohere to the look of the group.

Just my two cents, I'm intrigued to see where you take it from here!
An Inquisitor walks into a bar - he rolls D100 to see if he hits it.
                                     +++++++
Gallery of my Inquisitor models here.