Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Campaign "shops"

Started by Inquisitor Octavian Lars, February 05, 2012, 10:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Ynek on February 05, 2012, 10:00:49 PMCorrect me if I'm wrong, but certain forms of pollution, such as radioactivity, do not go away just because the radioactive matter has changed state from liquid to gas.
But H2O isn't radioactive. The concept of something being radiologically contaminated requires the presence of radionuclides, which distillation removes in exactly the same way as anything else. Even radioactive forms of water, such as Tritium Oxide, are easily separated due to having different boiling points. (Deuterium Oxide, despite its association with nuclear reactors, is not radioactive, but is still easily removed.)

In other words, if you distilled the cooling water from Chernobyl, it would be less dangerous than what comes out of your tap. The concept that pure H2O that once contained radionuclides is radioactive would be pretty much akin to homoeopathy.

QuoteIf the filtering process is particularly expensive (for example, if the minerals required to make the filters have to be shipped in from off-world) then water becomes a very expensive commodity indeed.
In which case, it would seem more likely that the water would be shipped in from off world. If they can ship in enough food for a hive world, there's no reason they couldn't ship in enough water for a desert world.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

DapperAnarchist

Well... the water could all have been stolen. By the Mechanicus, or an alien raiding party of some kind, or something like that. Or it could be a world like a hot mars (I know Mars is actually quite wet, but run with it). Thin atmosphere, requiring rebreathers, little water in the crust, perhaps a viral or fungal lifeform that gets into any water left out for too long and is activated by the wetness (like the flowers and frogs that apparently live in the desert? Or is that one of those lies, like lemmings running over cliffs?), all of this (with an explanation of why settlers arrived in the first place - fuel sources would be a good one) would add up to a world where water is rare.

However, if you want a desert location with little to no water - the Wastes that surround a Hive fit that nicely. It might not be that scientific (especially once it was decided that Armageddon has jungles and oceans...), but it is established.
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Thanks, this thread has really helped me question my planet's scientific origins, thank you. You have just brought about a shift in my planet's fluff!
Velterax III
All my wargaming under one address
http://velterax3chronicles.blogspot.com/

http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1566.0
Insertion Zone. Also on the Velterax III Chronicles.

Always looking for comments

Kaled

Going back to the shops... I'm curious - many characters in Inquisitor will have access to vast sums of money, so what is the setup for your campaign that prevents them having access to it?

Also, if I were playing in your campaign I'd have my characters knocking out opposing characters and stripping them of everything they own - weapons, ammo, clothing, supplies etc. And some characters would think nothing of chopping off a downed opponent's leg and eating that rather than paying for food. In fact there are all sorts of devious things players could do to save money. Are there going to be any restrictions on such shenanigans?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

The reasoning behind it is that many of my characters are honourable, but they will only be able to carry a certain ammount of money, and don't want to blow their cover/start a war.
Velterax III

Kaled

But are the other players going to play their characters as being honourable and not wanting to start a war? In my experience, players tend to ruin the carefully laid plans of even the best GMs by wanting to do something the GM hasn't anticipated but which is perfectly in character. And I've found that if a campaign needs players to collect money, then they'll try all manner of things to get rich.

Also, how will you handle wysiwyg? Will players be expected to convert their models is their character with a laspistol buys an autocannon?
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

Inquisitor - Blood Bowl - Malifaux - Fairy Meat

MarcoSkoll

What I have learnt from my time GMing for both Inquisitor and Dark Heresy is that players will never "play by the rules" and do what you're expecting them to do. They will improvise, come up with what you're not expecting, come completely out of left field, and just generally try to find any way they can possibly cheat the system.

It's bad practice to veto things just because you didn't think of them (as players will stop feeling like they've got any freedom), so you do need to build flexibility into whatever you're doing.

Quote from: DapperAnarchist on February 05, 2012, 11:55:12 PMperhaps a viral or fungal lifeform that gets into any water left out for too long and is activated by the wetness
Also removed by distillation, and easily kept out after that by any airtight seal.

One thing that does strike me about any water shortage is that as one gets back about half their water intake in easily purified urine, you only need to source somewhere to get the remaining half.
(And yes, there is a very real chance that someone will ask if they can drink their pee.)

GW's =I= articles

Cortez

It also should be well within the technology of the Imperium to create an Arrakis style stillsuit. In fact I'm pretty sure that the suits worn by House Van Saar in Necromunda have similar properties.

Dolnikan

If the characters carry only limited cash to not draw much attention, many kinds of weapons and equipment would also remain unused. Nothing says that a character is strange like him using nearly priceless weaponry.

Shipping in water from offworld would still be quite expensive, especially if the planet we're talking about doesn't have much to offer in trade. All the water that is transported there could also be the subject to the same monopoly which would allow for high, but of course not extremely high, prices. Getting water would have to be extremely hard for this to take effect, Saudi Arabia, which is renowned for its deserts has quite high water prices($1,50 per m3 when delivered by tankers and without subsidies) but this remains easily affordable. The amounts of water someone needs to drink on a daily basis is very low, even in a desert country. Even when water is much harder to get you would expect prices that are maybe tenfold that, high, but affordable. Cleaning of course would take a far lower priority.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Cortez on February 06, 2012, 12:48:03 PMIt also should be well within the technology of the Imperium to create an Arrakis style stillsuit.
Given the colossal degree to which Dune influenced 40k, the things from the Duniverse that wouldn't fit into the GrimDark could be written on the back of a postage stamp.

I am entirely in support of this idea.

GW's =I= articles

Draco Ferox

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 05, 2012, 06:46:31 PM
[Ah... a very good point, and one that I'm kicking myself in the head over (figuratively, although I would like to be that flexible). In spite of the better response to visually opaque conditions - but let's be honest about that, if you can actually see them to shoot them, then a lasgun wouldn't have that much trouble vaporising what sand might have been in the way - solid shot weapons just don't make as much sense as the low moving part mechanism of lasers.

I seem to remember a Gaun't Ghosts novel set on the world of Jago, which was supremely dusty. The fine dust kept getting into weapons and fouling them, as it blocked up parts of the weapon (I vaguely remember something about lenses and spitting on them to clear them).

Octavian, you haven't provided prices in the shop for other mundane items such as gas masks, dust scarves (on an arid world, this seems sensible), auspexes (auspices?) and so forth. If I was playing a campaign , I would try to get a pry-bar for one of my characters fairly quickly, as it's such a useful item when attempting to break into a location/crate/enemy's head.
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: Draco Ferox on February 06, 2012, 04:43:01 PMI vaguely remember something about lenses and spitting on them to clear them
If a lasgun can punch through carapace armour, I don't doubt that any dust fouling the lenses would be vaporised in the first microsecond of the laser pulse.

GW's =I= articles

Inquisitor Octavian Lars

Some re-jigging will be necessary I think!
Velterax III

Dolnikan

It depends on the kind of dust. It might, if it has the right properties, also scatter the beam in a different direction, which could hamper the accuracy a lot.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Draco Ferox

Quote from: MarcoSkoll on February 06, 2012, 05:01:40 PM
If a lasgun can punch through carapace armour, I don't doubt that any dust fouling the lenses would be vaporised in the first microsecond of the laser pulse.

I would say that if the dust prevents the beam from focusing, then it wouldn't have enough power to vapourise that dust. And if that dust is fine sand, putting a laser beam through it could (working form a basic knowledge of science where lasers = beam of light, light has energy, energy agitates molecules and causes heating) turn it into glass, and having a collimator/lasing chamber/lens covered in glass is likely to disrupt the weapon even more than dust would.
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.