Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

A question regarding "inverted" daemonic possession.

Started by Ynek, February 13, 2012, 11:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ynek

Essentially, I was writing a short story, and came up with a idea which I probably quite controversial in the Warhammer 40,000 community. Essentially, the idea of a possessed person being able to overcome the power of the daemon possessing them, and rather than simply throwing it off (ala the illuminati,) they beat the daemon into submission and make it THEIR slave, instead of the usual dynamic of the possessed being the slave of the possessor.

Essentially, is it possible for a human to possess a daemon?

The idea I had was that a particular Inquisitor was an immensely powerful telepath with hundreds of human minds connected to his own, which he used to bolster his own intelligence and willpower by draining the strength from them like a telepathic leech. So long as he remains in a relatively heavily populated area, he remains strong and can keep the daemon beaten down and under control, although the population of that area would probably feel somewhat lethargic and ill. However, if he is isolated and on his own, he is simply no match for the daemon, which would result in the daemon seizing control of his body and powers.

I just thought it might be a rather interesting plot device if someone attempts to mind-scan this Inquisitor, and then suddenly realises the horror that lies chained within... Or if a chaos cult seizes control of 60% of the planet's population, and then (to everyone's confusion) commit suicide, purely to free the daemon trapped within the prison of the Inquisitor's soul.
"Somehow, Inquisitor, when you say 'with all due respect,' I don't think that you mean any respect at all."

"I disagree, governor. I think I am giving you all of the respect that you are due..."

Dolnikan

That is a very interesting idea. It is known that some possessed chaos space marines have partial control and only lose out to the daemon in specific circumstances. This is probably because of the ritual used to create them but it does show that possession does not have to end with the daemon in control all the time.

The daemon will however have some unpleasant side-efects for the inquisitor, such as mutation and some more insanity is sure to follow as well.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

DapperAnarchist

The idea of this Inquisitor hiding in the middle of a hive, sapping the lifeforce, solely to prove his point, appeals greatly to me... I say go for it!
Questions are a burden to others, answers a burden to oneself.

The Keltani Subsector  My P&M Thread - Most recent, INQ28!

Koval

It's not impossible (see Possessed Marines, and controlling daemon weapons), although there could be a very sadistic twist in there with the daemon only "pretending" to have been beaten.

Your leech Inquisitor is very reminiscent of Darth Nihilus.

Alyster Wick

When you initially posed the question my first reaction was, "no," but that said, I really like your explanation. It falls under "things that aren't possible unless you explain them really, really well," and you present a really compelling story idea.

It's a really great concept that could make a fantastic center of a campaign. A really great and unique "big bad." While it is interesting to have the character be an Inquisitor there's no reason it can't be a rogue psycher, though I do like the Inquisitor twist.