Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

new player potentially needing help

Started by TallulahBelle, February 23, 2012, 02:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallulahBelle

ok I have a gw inquisitor scale model on order for use as a character model in Dark heresy and want to play inquisitor again this time with my own models.

I read about the gt and am kind of tempted as it sets a painting deadline for me.

so can anyone help write a character for me?

The concept is a young commisar assigned to the ordo hereticus for his training after being with a regiment that had to wipe a guard unit turned rogue.

the model I am basing him on is the arbites judge with some conversion work.

I want him to be a traditional commisar in terms of will and mentality with some blade skill and the ability to use his combat shotgun relatively well, no psychic powers and a strong faith.

so how should I do that in terms of not urine extracting in terms of skill level etc and could a new player come to theday in march and do ok, have fun and not annoy other players with a single character that may shape into a warband later.

MarcoSkoll

Well, to start - you shouldn't worry about how you'll place. The GT tag is often misleading - it's a lot like any of the rest of our events, just with a more formalised structure. I hit about mid-way both times I've been so far, but that wasn't the important thing - the important thing was I enjoyed myself.

Anyway, you might find that a single character warband will be on the fragile side.
I've seen it done three times (I think) at various events, but two of those were very heavily armoured characters with True Grit and the third was a Beastmaster who could summon and control the local wildlife.

I suppose that with the Judge's armour and the True Grit skill (not completely unjustified for a Commissar), he'd hold his ground reasonably well, but taking a nasty stun result or a big speed penalty could make the game very not fun.

However, if needs be, there's no rule against borrowing some extra models (You can only put your own work into the Painting/Modelling round though), and there's enough people who'd happily do just that - I lent out some models last year.

As for developing your character... you've not given a huge amount to go on.

Seeing as you've presumably got the Dark Heresy rulebook (and possibly the Inquisitor's Handbook too, if you're looking at Commissars), look through the character creation section for ideas and use that to get a bit of a grip on his origins.

What kind of world is he from? What was his family's social standing? (Presumably good enough to have got him into the Schola Progenium, but was he the son of Guard Officers, Administratum Adepts or Spire Nobles who legally orphaned him into the care of the Schola?)
Is he tall and lanky or short and squat? (That said, I'd note that the Judge is actually towards the shorter end of the model range, so this is largely chosen for you.) Has he got any identifying features?
What's his personality like? What was his response to the rogue Guard unit - Fury? Disappointment? Concern?
Where do his skills most lie - is he better with his shotgun than his sword? Or maybe he's mostly a quick thinker? Then again, perhaps his true strength is in command?
What made him stand enough over every other Commissar (particularly given that killing off an entire squad is not unheard of) that the Inquisition took notice?

In short, you need to have more of an idea of who he is so we can help tell you how to represent that.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles

TallulahBelle

I have him fleshed out alright,

here goes,

born on a hive world to parents whilst they were stationed there for a resupply
he ended up in the schola after they were killed, he was the son of an officer and a pilot. never met his parents after he hit 6 due to their deaths has faded memopries of his pilot mother and wears a saber of her units pattern rather than the guard issue weapon.
he did well in the schola better with his shotgun than the blade due to hours spent at the trap range style training teaching him snap shooting.

fairly young very devout and carries devotional and dueling scars because of this.
developed a reputation of leading from the front as a commissar with the ethos "if I am to expect men to do something I must be also willing" so was seen on the front lines, inspired by the holopict depictions of commisars as beloved by the men rather than the reality. the kind of officer who will have a drink and talk to a failing or struggling soldier to find out why he was failing and correct it not resort to execution at the first sign.

when the unit went rogue he was on a scouting recce in what had become chaos territory he managed to rescue  the priesthood representatives fleeing the shrines of the now fallen unit and regimental artifacts rather than allow them to be desecrated and in the process picked up a group of loyal survivors.
on return to his own forces he is taken for a debrief where he is found to have survived the trip untainted.

he is offered a single chance other than death along with the scouting squad he was to join the ordo heriticus.
they were dispersed across the sector, into inquisitorial units to become shock troops and bodyguards whereas he was given to a young female inquisitor as a trainee because she was intriuged by the fact he cared more for the artifacts and the loyalist men fleeing the unit than his own life.

he keeps the uniform and the rank and is officially seconded to her as an acolyte using his social status to investigate imperial organisations to prevent other units going rogue.

I see him in carapace armour, good with a blade but good in the traditional guard way, through repeated drill not flair, very devout and filled with a cool burn that drives him to hunt out those who instigate and insidiously manipulate units into going rogue. but he is also fighting to save as many as he can due to his idealism and belief that the emperor protects. an idealist tempered by his experiences.

as for what I meant by doing ok I meant in terms of playing the game well etc.

Dolnikan

I look forwards to seeing the model as always, I have a little soft spot for the commisariat myself.
Perhaps you could have some executions in the scouting unit, there always is some moral failure. I would try to give him something more about investigations rather than just combat in his background. As an independently working agent he would need such skills as well. Otherwise he would be walking around just driving the traitors deeper into the shadows.

Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

TallulahBelle

see I saw the reference to he will find out why someone is struggling as justification for some charisma and persuasion style investigative skill, I intend to have him running with a few people eventually its just budget and competance restricts me.