Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Skaven WIP: WHFB 54mm

Started by Rayner, March 05, 2012, 07:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayner

Making a change from modelling "grim dark" models (plus also I had parts left over from these guys...) I've decided to create some 54mm Skaven :)

Here is the first Skaven - Skrit:

Back

Hopefully I have made this the right scale, I used this picture for reference.

I have plans for a Grey Seer and an Assassin in the future, which I will post WIP pictures here when I have any :)

Dolnikan

It looks very good, a real 54mm skaven. How tall is he? The only thing is that it maybe is a bit too bulky for a normal clanrat. But perhaps he has had some 'enhancements'...
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Rayner

Another update, this time with pictures of skaven gutter runner Snikt.

Back Left Right

I'm really happy with the amount of detail that I've managed to include without the model looking crowded.

QuoteHow tall is he? The only thing is that it maybe is a bit too bulky for a normal clanrat. But perhaps he has had some 'enhancements'...

Here is a comparison photograph with the two skaven models next to an average sized human. Snikt is a more accurate size using the reference picture, Skrit is very hunched over and is in a more crouched position.

Next up is the grey seer, WIP pictures to follow :)

Dolnikan

The gutter runner is very good. He looks lean and mean like he should and the sculpting work is great. I really like the little things he carries with him.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

Heroka Vendile

two very characterful conversions, just the right size for 54mm Witch Hunter
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Rayner

QuoteHe looks lean and mean like he should and the sculpting work is great. I really like the little things he carries with him.

I'm glad the gutter runner came out looking more in line with the artwork I have found for Skaven. I wanted the gutter runner model to be carrying/wearing the "tools of the trade" - throwing stars, vials of poison, etc. Adds a lot more detail than I was able to achieve with the first model, Skrit.

I've almost finished the Grey Seer, just awaiting for some more heads to arrive from ebay. :)

Side

Same size as gutter runner Snikt, he fits in well scale-wise.

I'm now looking to sculpt some more skaven, if anyone has any other ideas please feel free to post below - they may even get used in the future.  ;D

Comments and criticism welcome as usual.

Dolnikan

The grey seer looks good so far,if you are really crazy you could try sculpting a rat ogre, but what I think is still missing is a lowly slave.

Rayner

Bad news: The heads arrived from eBay, but are far too large to fit the scale of the models :(

To work around this, I have decided to give press moulding a go - which worked quite well.

So here is the finished Grey Seer

Back

I'm also partway through working on a plague censer bearer

Back

There's still a lot more details to add to this, no forgetting the end of the flail - which is being worked on before attachment to the chain. I'll post more pictures when complete.

I'm also working on the "lowly slave" idea suggested by Dolnikan, but no pictures yet.

Comments and criticism welcome as always :)

Dolnikan

They both look very good, although the pictures are bit bit blurry. The grey seer looks like a grey seer should look, imposing and commanding.

Heroka Vendile

some very nice sculpting work, the two ones ones are looking great
It's all fun and games until someone shoots their own guy with a Graviton gun instead of the MASSIVE SPIDER.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Rayner

QuoteThey both look very good, although the pictures are bit bit blurry.

Sadly due to the lighting at the time, these were the best I could do :(
I'm currently in the process of painting the 4 characters, once complete I will take photographs with better conditions :)

On a related note, does anyone have any recommendations for painting techniques for skaven skin/fur, or any links to anywhere that might prove useful?

Van Helser

I came across this thread on Warseer the other day.  That chap got his Skaven looking pretty fine.

Ruaridh

Rayner

Ok, it's been quite a while since I've had any time to get online and update this topic with my progress.
So here are some photos of the completed and WIP painting on the shaven:

the back
and a close-up of the weapon

I'm thinking of adding some iconography to the tabards, any suggestions would be welcome :)

Had trouble getting a good photo of this one, can take more on request.

the back

the back

Both of these are still WIP, I will post more photos when they are finished.

In other news I have also created this guy:

the back

Built to scale again, however he's not as "round" as 28mm dwarfs are shown as. Maybe this is a mistake, but I feel that slayers are a bit more athletic than regular dwarfs.

Two more sculpts that I've been working on:

The second sculpt is pretty much done and should be ready for painting soon.

Hopefully I won't leave it so long next time before the next update, please feel free to leave comments below.

Heroka Vendile

The paintjobs look good. Your sculpting work on the two humans is really great though, I take it those are 50 or 60mm bases you've got them on though? doesn't look like 40mm ones.
The Order of Krubal
Rewards Of The Enemy

Rayner

All these models are based on 40mm bases. The human sculpts are slightly smaller than the standard "heroic" 54mm inquisitor models, plus the leg poses take up less of the area of the bases. I think this makes the bases look more empty.