Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

Casting 54mm in Resin???

Started by psycho, September 09, 2009, 12:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psycho

ok so instead of continuously buying minis to use as grunts in games, and to add diversity but still have uniformity, i have decided to try my hand at casting some stuff in resin!
however im not sire which company to buy from and also if it would be possible to do things like torsos etc in halves or as wholes?
anyone have any previous exp?
kerby

Serge

Trollforgedminiatures.
http://www.trollsforge.com/
Nothing endorses anything that has something to do with me.

greenstuff_gav

Grey Matter Figures maybe (are) doing a 54mm figure for me  8)

if you're doing things like heads and torsos, should be able to use This Technique... simply glue the waist / neck down, then you should get whole components per cast.
I order "Repsil E20" from These Guys.. dead easy to work with :)
i make no apologies, i warned you my ability to roll ones was infectious...

Build Your Imagination

psycho

ok well trollforged didnt help (or im just useless which is probably true lol) but at least i know where i can get the silicone i need. how deep would i need to make a mould so i could cast some torsos legs etc etc

kerby

Kallidor

Last time I did some casting I used this site to get the resin: Tomps

(Two part mould)

I'm going to try something different with my next casting, I won't be using silicone rubber for the mould, but the way I make mine is to build a lego box (on a lego base) about three inches deep and half fill it with plasticene (I'm going to try keeping my model raised so I can do away with the plasticene next time. I won't be using lego either come to think of it, gonna try a metal tin instead).

You push the model components into the plasticene, with a 5mm gap at least between parts and then the most important thing is having something decent for pouring channels and a sprue of some kind. You need to make sure the pour hole reaches the side of the lego box naturally. You also need to put something in, like a lego block, so that when the mould is complete it can be held in place without sliding around.

Then you need to go around everything you've put into the plasticene to make sure there are no gaps into which the mould can pour, try and avoid any undercuts otherwise you may end up with the model stuck in the mould after it cures. Then give it a psray with mould release and pour in the mould.

After it's cured you put the mould into the lego box again, minus the plasticene, put the model back in but leave out the blocks. Spray with mould release onto the model and then rub vaseline onto the mould and then pour in the next half.

When you make the resin cast you'll need to make sure the mould is clamped but I made another lego box which worked fine. I use quick setting resin but I usually give it three quarters of an hour or more to cure completely before de-moulding.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
BEHAVE!

Robert_the_damned

I've got a fair bit of experiance casting miniatures, infact I'm contemplating starting a small bussiness doing exactly that  ;) 54mm generics being somewhere on the agenda.