Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

KrautScientist's INQ28

Started by KrautScientist, April 03, 2012, 01:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quickdraw McGraw

If you just cut the power maul's head off it'll look like a stun baton?
Every time I see a math word problem in the warp it looks like this: 

If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples. How many pancakes will fit on the roof?

Answer:  Purple because Tyranids don't wear hats.   :P

KrautScientist

Hey everyone,

while not strictly INQ28-related per se, I understand that many of you are interested in the new chaos cultists from the starter box as conversion fodder for your warbands, so I'll take the liberty and post some of my initial experiences with the models here:

Even though I've been into 40k for over 15 years now, this is actually my first starter box ever (the remains of the 2nd edition box sold to me ages ago by my buddy Phil don't count  :D ). And what a first box this is! The amount of detail in most of the sculpts is really astonishing! You have to see it to believe it.

Naturally, I couldn't keep my fingers off the models for long, so I sat down and painted my first test pieces right away. I went for the chaos cultists. These are the guys that ended up on my desk:

I tried to paint them in colours close to the colour scheme of my regular Traitor Guard, so they would blend in. While I may yet have to tweak the recipe here and there, the first models came out reasonably well. Take a look:

Admittedly, this first guy is the model I am least pleased with, since he lacks a little pop. He may need some more work.

The second one was more of a success, though:

This guy is easily one of my favourite models in the box! He's just so twisted and disgusting -- just what you'd expect from some underhive scum following the ruinous powers  :D
I love all the scars and crude augmentics. His back is also something to behold:

It was really fun to make him look as distressed as possible  ;)

And finally, the third one:

This is the one where the application of my Traitor Guard colour scheme works best, in my opinion. I would love to add some crude chaos iconography in white to his hood, but there's so much tiny detail on there that it's rather hard to do without obscuring anything. Painting those eyes was quite hard!

And finally, all three of them together:

I really love the fact that GW went for a "disgruntled workers" look above all else. All the cutlists we have seen up to now were either Traitor Guard or wearing KKK style robes. I like how these new cultists have subtle signs of both, but yet sport a very own look: that of rebelling regular citizens still in their working clothes . If you've read the Gaunt's Ghosts books, these guys should really click with you!

Finally, here's a scale shot with one of my regular Traitor soldiers:

These guys were a joy to work with, although I would advise everyone working on these to paint the arms carrying the weapons separately (or at least not attach them permanently before painting). You'll have a much easier job that way!

It's easy to see how these could be used as cultists and/or underhive scum in games of Necromunda and INQ28 without any conversion at all!
And even if you want to convert them, it should be reasonably simple to do a couple of head and weapon swaps here and there -- at least on the cultists wielding CC weapons. The guys with autoguns should be a little harder to convert due to the way the two pieces of the model interlock to form the whole. However, if you're handy with a knife and GS (like many of the people on this board), the world's really your oyster with these guys ;)

One last thing that I really hadn't expected from the box was that they went and added a number of small "trophies" to add to the bases: spent shell casings, skulls -- those were part of the AOBR box too. But this time you're getting a traitor's severed head and a Chaos Marine's helmet, trampled into the ground, as well. Those should be excellent little parts for conversions! I especially like the traitor head and can see it in all kinds of INQ28 conversions.

Anyway, that's my first look at the models. More on this as it develops  ;)
Check out my blog at http://www.eternalhunt.wordpress.com

World Eaters | INQ28 | Terrain | Other

Dolnikan

Those models look very good and useful, and your paint job only makes it better. They look like they could be used for many different things with just a bit of work.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

KrautScientist

Thanks a lot, Dolnikan!

Indeed, maybe the greatest thing about these guys is how potentially versatile they are. If GW really releases a separate multipart kit for cultists, as rumoured, that will be every Necromunda and INQ28 players dream come true  ;)

I couldn't help myself and had to start on the next batch of cultists: Instead of painting the same designs over again, I chose three different cultist — the duplicates will have to come later...

Again, my objective was to have these fit in with my other Traitor Guard models, so I stuck to the established colour scheme. I like to imagine that I was a tiny bit more succesful in painting these guys to fit my traitors this time:

I really love the gasmask on this guy! I even thought about a "Psycho Mantis" conversion while painting him.  :D  I also like the crude weapons some of these guys are wielding – like they had to improvise weapons from their regular tools or bits of machinery.

This next guy may have a different head and different weapons, but apart from that, he is actually identical to the guy above – albeit "flipped horizontally". The only difference aside from the head and weapons is the added knife on the guy with the gas mask — I don't think it's too noticeable, though. After all, these are starter miniatures!

I tried adding some crude chaos heraldry on his scarf. A recurring element in my Traitor Guard. I went even further with this on this next guy:

Again, I love the mask. Reminds me of Kroenen in the first Hellboy film  :D

And here's all three of them together:

Seeing these side by side makes it even more obvious that the cultists on the left and right are basically the same design, but again: Let's not forget that these are starter miniatures. I already mentioned that I am actually pretty happy with the look GW chose for the cultists!

And here's all of my painted cultists so far:

These are pretty quick to paint, so it probably won't be too long before I'll have ten or even twenty of them finished. I'll mainly be using these for 40k, so all of them will be painted in the colours of my Traitor Guard. That said, they'll make useful cameos in games of INQ28 (or even Necromunda).
I will be doing a number of smaller adjustments to some of the "duplicates" (weapon swaps and the like) for some more variety. I'll also add an icon or two, following my belief that every chaos squad needs an icon. Apart from that, though, I'll be using these pretty much out of the box.

Brother_Brimstone

Love it! As soon as I saw those models on the GW site my first thought was Inq28. Some nice paintjobs there, too. Are you planning any conversions with the duplicates?

Dolnikan

These look vey good, somehow they seem even better than the previous ones although I can't point out why this would be. Should a multipart version of these models be released I would be amongst the first to get them.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

KrautScientist

Thanks, guys!

@ Brother_Brimstone: Yes, I'll try to change little things about the duplicates, like giving them different weapons or adding some bitz. I'll also be swapping some colours around on them, so they won't look too similar to their "clones".

@ Dolnikan: I feel the same way, mate! Maybe it's the fact that these lend themselves better to my Traitor Guard colour scheme? Or I knew what I was doing after painting the first test pieces? Not sure either  ;)

Charax

hah, I saw those posts on Dakka this morning, for a second I thought I was on the wrong forum!

I do love these cultist models, they're probably some of the most characterful 28mm models GW have produced for 40K, in that they actually tell their own stories. I've got a squad or two coming my way, and I've been collecting models that could work well in Inq28 for a while now, so that may be what gets me started.

If they do a multipart set(and they almost certainly will) then I'm sure it'll be full of characterful little pieces like rebreathers and books and other little things that will be vital for Inq28
(No longer} The guy with his name at the bottom of the page

Kaludram

I LOVE these miniatures!  I'm gonna have to try a little harder to pick some cultists up separately for my Necromunda games.
It may have all been a lie, but it keeps the masses quiet.

KrautScientist

Thanks, Kaludram!

Alright, everyone: After all the starter box shenanigans, let's have a real INQ28 update for a change  ;)

Today I'd like to talk about "Twists":

I really like the idea of incorporating Twists and mutants into INQ scenarios. After all, with Inquisitor set in the shadowy parts of the Imperium, it is no small wonder that any enterprising Inquisitor should find themselves among the twisted and persecuted. And what's more: Converting twists is an awesome way of coming up with rather interesting models. So today's update will deal with a number of twists I converted.

First up, here are two guys that I built last year, a relatively short while after getting back into the hobby. I realised that I still had some pretty old models lying around, among them a couple of old Gorkamorka Orks that I had bought some time during the 90s (as a side note: Do you remember how completely spectacular those multipart Gorkamorka plastic models seemed to us back then?). Now compared with today's muscular, hulking Ork boys, those poor sods look pretty scrawny, so I wanted to convert them into something different. Take a look:

I replaced the original Ork boy's left arm with an arm from the Kroot kit. It looks wonderfully twisted and vestigial (and is a great part for your mutant conversion needs). I also gave the model a Laspistol from the Cadian kit and added an old WFB Chaos Warrior's head. All of this helped in making the model look less like a scawny Ork and more like a mutant of some sort.

This guy was even easier to convert: I just replaced his head with a face from the old Chaos mutations sprue and added a few pouches. Apart from that, the model is still the same Gorkamorka Ork I built all those years ago, although the new head really manages to transform this guy.

I painted the twists' clothes in muted greens and browns with some weathering effects thrown in, emphasising the fact that they are a rather unkempt bunch with pretty bad equipment. Still, I quite like these two. The only thing I should have done differently is the skin: I painted these before I had found a good way of painting pale, unhealthy skin and used lots of Leviathan Purple to shade theirs -- that left them looking far more pinkish than I would have liked...

When I built those guys, I wanted them to serve as mutants in my Lost and the Damned force. And while that plan never quite got off the ground, they should make quite useful NPCs and underhive scum for games of INQ28 and/or Necromunda, don't you think?

The next model I want to show you is considerably newer. I also basically stole the idea from one of PDH's Scavvy Mutants. I already showed you some WIP shots of this guy, but for the sake of completeness:

Once again, this is a fairly easy kitbash, using just an AOBR Ork boss (that came as a giveaway with a copy of WD, back when 5th ed. was released) and a couple of bits. Chief among these is a head from the WFB Crypt Ghouls, which are simply fantastic conversion fodder for creating twists. This particular head was just a great fit, with a look between anger and idiocy that really helps to sell this guy as dumb muscle. Thanks, PDH!

I also added a hand from an old plastic Necromunda Goliath ganger, wielding a magnum style pistol, a brutal looking club from one of the WFB Ogre Kingdoms kits and added a spike to the stikkbomb, making it look more like yet another crude CC weapon.

When painting this guy, I went for a rather subdued palette once again, and added a ton of weathering effects. This time, I also got the skin right. Take a look:

I am quite pleased with this guy for a number of reasons: He really looks like a hulking brute and could be used as some kind of bodyguard or even as a mutant overlord. A fellow forumite remarked that the model looks quite a bit like a Super Mutant from Fallout 3, and even though I didn't plan it that way, he was quite correct!

So let's wind up our little school outing into the world of twists and mutants with another WIP model, in fact a conversion I have wanted to do for quite a while:

While I always had a bit of a soft spot for the original "Quovandius" model, I realised some time ago that in his official artwork in the Inquisior rulebook, Quovandius looks far more bulky and fierce than his actual model. He also uses his shotgun as an improvised crutch, which I think was a really cool little idea. So I wanted to build a model resembling that artwork. Here's what I came up with:

Again, I used the tried and true combination of an Ork body and a Crypt Ghoul head. Yet where the other head above looks rather nonplused, this guy looks fierce and determined, don't you think? I also used an old Gorkamorka shotgun to emulate the artwork even further. It may not be the cleanest and most ambitious conversion in the world, but I think it gets the point across.

And while I was tempted to add all kinds of stuff in order to make the model look even more like the original Quovandius, I stopped myself, since I liked the rather simple, brutal expression of the model (I might have to add that puppet head, though. Such a cool little detail! I only have to find one that's small enough).

Anyway, where the original Quovandius looks rather pitiful, I see this guy as more of a hunter, maybe even a bounty hunter, tolerated by the higher-ups because he can bring in anyone who has been hiding in the underhive...

And that's it with my little showcase today. In closing, let me say that building twists is a great way to make something using leftover bitz as well as eclectic and seemingly disparate parts. Just remember to always have some Ork and Crypt Ghoul parts ready  ;)

As always, thanks for looking and stay tuned for more!

KrautScientist

Hmm, no one? Oh well...

Today I'd like to show you something a bit different, that is some pieces of terrain I was working on some time ago.

I've been looking at different options of building some modular terrain for use in games of 40k and Inquisitor for quite some time now. After building a silly amount of cityfight terrain (that eats up an equally silly amount of storage space), I was a little hesitant to undertake the next terrain building spree: I felt that any new terrain had best be very versatile and modular for maximum usefulness. It would also have to be easily storable, so no more cathedrals for the time being...

Then, while shopping for boring stuff at the DIY-superstore, I came across these:

Now I couldn't even tell you what these things are normally used for – especially not in English. They are used by electricians when working on electrical outlets or something — pardon my spotty knowledge when it comes to electrical installations.

But I instantly realised that these could be really useful for a terrain project: The smaller part seems immediately useful, and you may call me crazy, but the longer piece gave me an almost art deco vibe. Does that make sense?

Anyway, those were super cheap, so I picked them up and got to work:

What I wanted to try with these was to create some simple, highly versatile and modular industrial terrain that could be used for 40k but would be even more useful in games of Necromunda or Inquisitor 28. So I put each of the pieces on a base cut from foamcore and added a couple of bits:

To the small piece, I added a couple of small brass tubes I had lying around as well as some corrugated cardboard, cork chaff and one or two pieces from an old model truck. And behold, the thing was instantly transformed into something looking very ...industrial.

I did something similar to the longer piece, adding some bits to give an idea of scale to the whole thing and to make it more interesting visually. Here's the result:

All of this was really quick and easy work, and I only needed some leftover materials and a couple of bits. I then spraypainted both pieces with brown paint, since I would probably end up going for a rather dusty and dilapidated look amyway.

As usual, the uniform paint helped to tie everything toegther. I think it's immediately obvious how this could work as a piece of terrain. Here's a scale shot with an 28mm model:

The other piece got the same treatment. Lo and behold:

And again, with a model:

Granted, one of these alone is fairly unimpressive. But imagine several of those pieces that can be freely rearranged to create all kinds of different setups: You could simulate corridors or a kind of labyrinth. And the fun doesn't end there: Just build a number of modular walkways to connect the different pieces and add some verticality. Or add some taller buildings for even more variety. These pieces could even be combined with my regular cityfight terrain! And the fact that they are fairly small and robust also makes them rather easy to store — what a relief!

Of course, these pieces will yet have to be properly painted, probably with huge amounts of weathering and rust. I could also add all kinds of security warnings and/or propaganda posters for more authenticity and that particular underhive look.

It probaly won't surprise you when I tell you that I went back to the store the next day and got a whole bag of those pieces. About 8 Euros gave me enough stuff to fill up quite a lot of space on a normally sized Necromunda/INQ28 table. I'll keep you updated on the progress!

Sometimes it's lucky finds like these that makes building your own terrain that much fun! But then, maybe it's just Karma's way of paying us back for all the hours we spend sitting hunched over little plastic men. Who knows? In any case, whenever you're at an DIY-superstore, keep your eyes open for useful stuff like this. It may make your visit to the store just that much more enjoyable  ;)

As always, thanks for looking and stay tuned for more!

Kaludram

These terrain pieces are electrical conduit junction boxes.  Typically they are either plastic or stamped metal.  I've got loads of them sitting around the house from various renovation projects, and the great part is that no two manufacturers make them exactly the same--so there are lots of different varieties out there for use.

KrautScientist

@ Kaludram: Ah, thanks for clearing that up, mate! I always feel a little guilty shopping for stuff at the DIY-store, knowing that none of the stuff I buy will actually be used the way it was originally intended  ;)

Kaludram

Quote from: KrautScientist on September 17, 2012, 01:15:13 PM
@ Kaludram: Ah, thanks for clearing that up, mate! I always feel a little guilty shopping for stuff at the DIY-store, knowing that none of the stuff I buy will actually be used the way it was originally intended  ;)

That's the best part of the DIY stores--no one cares what you use it for as long as you don't shoot your eye out.   ;D

MarcoSkoll

Quote from: KrautScientist on September 14, 2012, 01:23:51 PMHmm, no one? Oh well...
Sorry. I'm not a great fan of just posting "Hey, cool" all the time, and I'm not very good when it comes to critiquing conversions, seeing as my normal approach is usually primarily green-stuff based.

The junction boxes is however a very good idea, and I may well end up going on the hunt for a heap of them, particularly seeing as I need to start filling tables with lots of terrain for Infinity. (And in the right sizes, it should be useful at 54mm too)

As for the matter of non-legitimate use of DIY purchases, using junction boxes as terrain is pretty tame compared to some of what I've done over the years... this probably being the most egregious:

It should have been copper water pipe, but it got repurposed for the sake of pneumatically accelerating various objects to speeds as high as 1100 kilometres per hour. (Which then usually got stopped by whatever obsolete electronics I'd earmarked for disposal).
But anyway, I'll stop derailing your thread with talk of my crazier hobbies.
S.Sgt Silva Birgen: "Good evening, we're here from the Adeptus Defenestratus."
Captain L. Rollin: "Nonsense. Never heard of it."
Birgen: "Pick a window. I'll demonstrate".

GW's =I= articles