Main Menu

News:

If you are having problems registering, please e-mail theconclaveforum at gmail.com

KrautScientist's INQ28

Started by KrautScientist, April 03, 2012, 01:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KrautScientist

Wow, thanks for the kind words, guys! I am really flattered!  ;D

@ Zakkeg & Inquisitor Goldeneye: To tell you the truth, I would prefer it a lot if there wasn't any philosophical reason to favour one scale over the other. Both scales have managed to produce models that are so good that I'd like to eat them  :) At the end of the day, it's just about the medium (and scale) that best suits you. I chose 28mm because it gave me the option of using a scale I was already familiar with. But I don't feel like there are any philosophical ramifications to my choice. At least, that's what I want to believe. At the same time, it's probably equally enjoyable to figure out a way to do something new and creative with the pool of available 54mm parts (and the addition of all kinds of non-GW figures). I can definitely understand the appeal of that too!

When you get right down to it, there is no "right" or "wrong" scale, in my opinion. There are great models (and admittedly some not so great ones) across both ranges. There is also a fantastic amount of enthusiasm, creativity and narrative potential. And there is basically ONE fanbase for the game and/or the world of Inquisitor.

Oh, and if you think my model is great, take a look at what people like PDH or migsula can do: They convert 28mm models to within an inch of their lives, and the results are glorious. I understand that there may have been times when some INQ28 players would just lazily plunk down their regular 40k models on the table to play Inquisitor, but those times are long past!

Right, that aside, back to my own work: The model's a day older now and I still like it quite a bit, so I guess we can call it finished. I give you: the brothers  :D

I did a couple of small touchups that nobody's going to notice and did a base for him, using my beloved cork and a piece of brass grating from the 40k basing set. Here's a detail of the base:

Nothing too spectacular, as the model is busy enough as it is.

I'm pretty much prepared to call these guys finished. I'd be thrilled to hear what you think, though!  ;D
Check out my blog at http://www.eternalhunt.wordpress.com

World Eaters | INQ28 | Terrain | Other

Dolnikan

How is it possible that every time that I look I see a model that already was beautiful increase further in beauty. Really, a great model which I'd love to see on the table.
Circles of the wise My attempt at writing something, please comment on it if you have any advise.

KrautScientist

Haha, enough already, Dolnikan! I am bigheaded enough as it is  ;D

Seriously, though: Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it!

Necris

It's a shame that the Nurgle Lord is such a nice model I have one sat on my to do pile but am now worried that there might be such a high number of chunky bodyguards floating around at 28mm scale I might have to do something else with him (I already have one for my champions of chaos display)
This here is my very favourite gun...I call her rita.

The Order of the Iron Rose - Necris' Inq28 Plog

KrautScientist

Don't be intimidated, though! This is already my second conversion using this model, and the two look quite different. You should just look at the different conversions floating around (my favourite would be PHD's deposed planetary governor) and think of a way to put a new spin on the ideas that are already there. It's crazy what difference a simple head and weapons swap can make.

What about using the model as the base for some crazy kind of weapons servitor or even techpriest? Making a Mechanicus model that's actually fat would definitely be something different! Or some kind of Eunuch. Or a Slaanesh cultist? I always thought that the combination of armour and huge amounts of bare skin had a very Slaaneshi feel to it...

Anyway, that's a couple of half-baked ideas just off the top of my head. Just go for it, mate! There are lots and lots of things you can do with this guy  :)

Quickdraw McGraw

Great conversion and paint job!  But what I really like about the brothers is they remind me of Master-Blaster from Mad Max at Thunderdome.  They were a great duo! 

I'm currently working on a mutant freedom fighter warband.  I would love to steal this idea.  :)  But I already have a model with his twin growing out his back. 
Every time I see a math word problem in the warp it looks like this: 

If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples. How many pancakes will fit on the roof?

Answer:  Purple because Tyranids don't wear hats.   :P

Necris

My idea was thinking of a governors type bodyguard a chubby sword wielding brute, that is tanked on drugs to make him fast and very dangerous but lacking in any ranged firepower to balance him out a bit, sort of the sumo surprise of them being very quick and surprisingly agile despite their size

KrautScientist

Hmm, the fact that he's a governor's bodyguard would give you the opportunity to add some "bling" to him to further enforce the notion of someone who looks deceptively fat and decadent but is in fact really dangerous -- Maybe you could even add some ceremonial makeup to his face or somesuch. Some kind of strange, yet deadly Eunuch bodyguard. Everyone suspects that the governor just keeps him as some kind of attraction, but those who have to face him in combat quickly learn that he is far more deadly than they would have anticipated. I think that could really work...

Necris

you nailed it on the head there even got hit name

The Eunuch

Shannow

Loving the rusty sort of look of the whole character, top stuff :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

KrautScientist

@ Shannow: Thanks a lot, mate!

@ Necris: Glad to be of help  ;)

KrautScientist

Alright, everyone, time for something a little different: I recently managed to get my buddy Franky on board with the whole INQ28 thing, and we've been firing background ideas back and forth at each other for a while, thinking up  some  possible characters for his own Inquisitor retinue. Today we sat down at the FLGS and I got him acquainted with the wonderful world of kitbashing for the first time. Franky managed to nearly take off one of his fingers with an exacto knife, so his baptism as a converter was blessed in the eyes of the Blod God  :D  Well, actually, it wasn't quite as bad as that, but you get the picture.

At the end of the day, here's what we have to show for our troubles: First up is a female assassin accompanying Franky's Inquisitrix, taking care of the more "physical" tasks. She belongs to a monastic order that is kept by the Inquisition as a training ground for assassins. Something between the normal assassin clades and the Death cults. Take a look:

As you can see, she's a fairly straight kitbash from a number of Eldar, Dark Eldar and Wood Elf bits. I added a bionic eye to add some context to the strange half-mask she's wearing. I also shaved off pretty much all the crystals and small bulges on the Eldar legs. The piece of sprue on the base is not final -- just a mockup to show the final position the model will have on the base.

We also managed a very early build of Franky's Inquisitrix, Lady Calixa Alrod:

The flagellant lower body will obviously have to go, but we wanted tol go for a robed look and acked any good alternative. If anyone has an idea for a (readily available) robed lower body, let me know! You can probably guess from this early version of the model that Inquisitrix Alrod isn't a very physical type, instead relying on espionage and her psionic talents.

Anyway, these models mark Franky's descent into the dark and wonderful world that is NQ28. Let me know what you think  ;)

Shannow

Why does the flagellants body obviously have to go? I think if you sculpted armour on the toes it would be perfect, an aptly shambolic/religiously zealous look for sure!

The assassin is good, but I would say swap the knife out for a different one, purely to pull the look further away from a curvy dark eldary look, but the pose is very nice and dynamic and this thread just goes to show (obv along with Molotov) that 28mm is every bit the equal of 54mm :) (and personally I find it harder!)

Rob
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Time to die.

Necris

Have you considers using high elf legs?

High Elf Archer

or the arch lector legs

KrautScientist

@ Shannow: You may be right, the flagellant legs may not be beyond saving after all  ;) I'll take a look at that. They may need some converting to look the part though. Also, thanks a lot for your compliment! I feel quite honoured that you feel my models are a good example of INQ28 done right. Considering INQ28 being harder...hmmm, I guess it's just a different kind of hard  ;)

As I see it, the main difficulty with INQ54 is the fact that there's a very limited pool of parts, so the challenge lies in doing something new, getting better at modelling or in finding suitable resources to use alongside the old GW parts. That sounds mighty hard to me  ;)

With INQ28, you have lots and lots of bits to use, so the only problem there is to not be overwhelmed by all the options  :) The real challenges, at least for me, are to make models detailed enough (i.e. not like some "rank and file" 40k model), but not too detailed (since sometimes there's just no way to cram as many details into one 28mm model as you would like). Then there's always the problem that the worst weapons in 40k are pretty strong in Inquisitor, so you have to be careful not to go overboard with (readily available) Bolt weapons and the like.

But like I said, the main danger with INQ28 is to have models either look to plain or too cluttered, in my opinion. Sometimes, it's a different balance to maintain.

Both ranges are great though, and there's some serious talent in both camps  :)

/rant off  ;D

@ Necris: Some great suggestions there, man! The plastic Empire Priest's legs also look like they might work rather nicely.

I guess I'll have to look carefully at each of the options to find one that works. I'll rather take it slow, though. This is Frank's Inquisitrix, the center of his warband, so it won't do to just hurry things along. I'll keep you updated with the progress, of course!